Primaluna evo 400 Integrated Amp?

Fido

I recently heard a Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated amp and was very impressed with how it performed. I currently am using an MA252 Hybrid Mcintosh Integrated. Now that I have listened to the Primaluna my very good sounding Mcintosh seems lacking to me. Im looking for any and all feedback on the Primaluna Integrated amps and particularly the Evo Line??? Does anyone have experience with their products as its pretty expensive to upgrade to the Primaluna but I was blown away how strong the bass was and how sweet the midrange sounded. Ive asked on the 2 channel section of this Klipsch forum and as usual people rarely answer the questions I'm most interested in - lol - any input will be greatly appreciated

7 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I don't have the evo but have had the intregrated for about a year.  I think it sounds as good and Mc's for a lot less $$$.

thanks Dave for the feedback. Are you running a Dialogue Premium hp?

Nah, jumped into tubes from a 300w Perreaux and Perreaux SM2 Pre.  Just a cheap Prologue.  So impressed with mine I'm gonna go all the way up in the next year prolly.  Love mine!  Sounds great in my 2-channel w/vinyl on my Linn into an old pair of modded LS.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Nah, jumped into tubes from a 300w Perreaux and Perreaux SM2 Pre.  Just a cheap Prologue.  So impressed with mine I'm gonna go all the way up in the next year prolly.  Love mine!  Sounds great in my 2-channel w/vinyl on my Linn into an old pair of modded LS.  

thats why I keep thinking I should just go all out with the EVO 400 and just relax as I get my lifetime amp, finally

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

I'm looking at the EVO 400 preamp.  Looks really promising.  I'm gonna go listen to one locally this week or next.  Currently running Parasound P6 and very happy but just can't help thinking I'm missing the tube sound....

The EVO 400 Integrated sounded amazing! I'm sure the Preamp has that wonderful Primaluna Tube sound. All I can say is WOW!!!! Blew my mind, really

• Like 1

@bkwa1959at least you had a decent dealer.  Drove an hour South to hear one at a dealer in Cbus.  Walked in the place and they had everything BUT the PL.  Macs and Harbeth's and nice gear but ONE PL.  He said they had some coming in but from the looks of the place it was more home theater oriented.  So he put an LP on to listen to and 30 seconds into the LP it started skipping and it was cranked.  I let it go a while since it was his show then finally got up and turned the volume down.  He came running in to turn it down, shut it down and that was it.  THEN wanted me to write the check for it so he could order it for me.  I was like seriously?  Called Upscale and ordered mine anyway BUT before they could ship they had a question for me.  Seems as though this wannabe salesman took my name and address then he turned it into Upscale and said I was their customer.  I flipped out and went nuts w/Upscale and told them the story so they shipped it to me.  That day I stopped in he gave me a business card so when I had lunch I was kind and dropped his card into the fishbowl @ Red Lobster for a free lunch.  I figured he'd need one soon. :)

• Like 3

I auditioned the EVO line last June at Upscale Audio.  I had previously auditioned the Mac you have. It was no contest from my perspective. I did save a few hundred bucks and buy the Dialogue Premium HP to go with my Forte III's.  Now that I have had my system for nearly six months and have the speakers located and finally made serious progress with Room Acoustics, I'm blown away by the PL.  You won't go wrong with the EVO line for sure.  Good luck and enjoy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

@bkwa1959at least you had a decent dealer.  Drove an hour South to hear one at a dealer in Cbus.  Walked in the place and they had everything BUT the PL.  Macs and Harbeth's and nice gear but ONE PL.  He said they had some coming in but from the looks of the place it was more home theater oriented.  So he put an LP on to listen to and 30 seconds into the LP it started skipping and it was cranked.  I let it go a while since it was his show then finally got up and turned the volume down.  He came running in to turn it down, shut it down and that was it.  THEN wanted me to write the check for it so he could order it for me.  I was like seriously?  Called Upscale and ordered mine anyway BUT before they could ship they had a question for me.  Seems as though this wannabe salesman took my name and address then he turned it into Upscale and said I was their customer.  I flipped out and went nuts w/Upscale and told them the story so they shipped it to me.  That day I stopped in he gave me a business card so when I had lunch I was kind and dropped his card into the fishbowl @ Red Lobster for a free lunch.  I figured he'd need one soon. :)

My only experience hearing a Primaluna Integrated Tube Amp was at Upscale Audio. All the sales people I talked to there were very approachable and very personable. They didn't actually feel like they were even sales people - more like audio enthusiasts that loved the bad *** equipment they carry at Upscale. Kevin Deal is very passionate about the hifi equipment they sell in his store and spent a fair amount of time getting me setup in a room with a streamer so I could listen to any type of music I like listening to in both Triode and Ultralinear modes. There was no hard sell attempts and nobody talking down to me just because I'm not the typical Audiophile nerd. I just like kick *** stereos!

Yes the Evo 400 costs more $$$ than my Mcintosh but it seriously felt like it was in another world and yes - I want one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbomberger said:

I auditioned the EVO line last June at Upscale Audio.  I had previously auditioned the Mac you have. It was no contest from my perspective. I did save a few hundred bucks and buy the Dialogue Premium HP to go with my Forte III's.  Now that I have had my system for nearly six months and have the speakers located and finally made serious progress with Room Acoustics, I'm blown away by the PL.  You won't go wrong with the EVO line for sure.  Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback - its actually very helpful to me in deciding what I should do

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I have the Primaluna EVO-300 Power amp and matching preamp and I love them.I bought the 300 models because I have Klipschorns and did not need the extra power and based on information that I received Kevin Deal stating that the build quality of the power transformers there was no need to jump up in power.I was a big fan of Mcintosh and I still love the look  of their pieces but you can’t beat the quality of the Primaluna and when my dealer told me if I did not like the way the sound of the preamp and power amp He would take them back.

12AAAE7B-A29A-4B57-89A0-B4689DFBEF11.jpeg

What brand/model is your audio stand please?

• Like 1

I purchased the PrimaLuna EVO 300 in April 2019, along with a SVS SB4000 Sub.  The EL tubes that it comes with are awesome with a lot of speakers but really needed KT150's with my 1970's LaScala's. The LaScalas have the Crites upgrades and A4500 networks and I couldn't be happier with the combination.  The KT150's have more low and high end and almost have a solid state sound to them (almost), but I love the EVO300 with my current set up.  I listened to a few different amps at Upscale Audio in LaVerne CA and the Primaluna was the sound that  I was looking for.  

PL EVO 300.jpg

Edited by CAMike
  • Like 3

I could not resist and traded my MA252 in today at Upscale Audio for the EVO 400 Integrated and I just got it up and running and threw on some CDs just to check it out in my living room setup. Without a doubt the best my Forte ever sounded this good until today - of course the EVO 400 is not broken in at all but holy mother of God does this setup sound amazing! Tomorrow I'll get my Vincent Phono Stage setup and listen to some of my all time favorite vinyl and then stream some Tidal to put it thru its paces - I'm a very happy camper - I had no idea that my 1986 Fortes could sound this amazing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A week later and all I can say is that I am even more blown away after listening to much of my music library thru the Primaluna EVO 400. This was a great reason to buy high end gear - because the sound draws you in and makes you want to listen to more and more music than ever before. The depth of sound from low to highs is so rich compared to my previous integrated amp that words can't describe it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...