Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

Chris A

As a good distraction today I have been playing music in the listening room and helping my daughters with their DIY projects. I have been popping in to do a little critical listening here and there. One thing I have noticed is the sweet spot appears to be at the listening position but not at seated height it is present when I am standing. Have any of the other builders noticed this? @Rudy81 @Thaddeus Smith @Chris A have any of you experimented with toe in?

2 hours ago, No.4 said:

As a good distraction today I have been playing music in the listening room and helping my daughters with their DIY projects. I have been popping in to do a little critical listening here and there. One thing I have noticed is the sweet spot appears to be at the listening position but not at seated height it is present when I am standing. Have any of the other builders noticed this? @Rudy81 @Thaddeus Smith @Chris A have any of you experimented with toe in?

Mine are toed so that the center is aimed to just a couple inches from the center of my mlp, not crossed. Basically pointing at my ears, and when sitting down my ears are near the top of the wing assembly.

Haven't spent much time listening while standing, but it sounds really good while seated.

19 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Mine are toed so that the center is aimed to just a couple inches from the center of my mlp, not crossed. Basically pointing at my ears, and when sitting down my ears are near the top of the wing assembly.

Haven't spent much time listening while standing, but it sounds really good while seated.

As you know, mine are slightly toed in and basically aimed at my ears, crossing just behind my LP.  The stack height is centered at my LP ear height.  I have not had any issues at the LP relative to height. Are your ears below or above the center of the stack?

5 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

As you know, mine are slightly toed in and basically aimed at my ears, crossing just behind my LP.  The stack height is centered at my LP ear height.  I have not had any issues at the LP relative to height. Are your ears below or above the center of the stack?

above. pretty much at the top of the top driver in the stack.

2 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I am seated pretty close to the center of the stack height. There is just a very “live” presence to vocals if I stand at the LP. Not to say there is anything wrong seated, far from it. I just need to keep experimenting. Glad to see you posting!

5 minutes ago, No.4 said:

I am seated pretty close to the center of the stack height. There is just a very “live” presence to vocals if I stand at the LP. Not to say there is anything wrong seated, far from it. I just need to keep experimenting. Glad to see you posting!

Not much else I can do.....

20 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

You can always experiment by raising the front or back of the wings in order to change the dispersion of the AMTs.

I thought about that. I did raise the assembly up above the top of the bass bins 1 1/2” then 3”. There seemed to be subtle differences, but no game changers. I will angle them at the listening position tomorrow. For now I will enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Not much else I can do.....

I hope you are able to enjoy some good tunes while you get better!

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

I thought about that. I did raise the assembly up above the top of the bass bins 1 1/2” then 3”. There seemed to be subtle differences, but no game changers. I will angle them at the listening position tomorrow. For now I will enjoy.

I hope you are able to enjoy some good tunes while you get better!

Sadly no.  I can barely get out of my chair.  As I heal I am planning on spending a lot of time listening to the AMTs.  It will be nice to return someday to business as usual.  All the things we take for granted......

32 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Sadly no.  I can barely get out of my chair.  As I heal I am planning on spending a lot of time listening to the AMTs.  It will be nice to return someday to business as usual.  All the things we take for granted......

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you get back to normal soon!

Hey Rudy

How you feeling today, hope your slowly getting through it

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, Rudy81 said:

Just now seeing this.

Hope this ends sooner verses later.  I've not heard (or maybe paid attention?) to how long the symptoms last for someone before you're on the other side.

Perhaps a silver lining.....  lots of listening time??  (is there any silver lining??)

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Just now seeing this.

Hope this ends sooner verses later.  I've not heard (or maybe paid attention?) to how long the symptoms last for someone before you're on the other side.

Perhaps a silver lining.....  lots of listening time??  (is there any silver lining??)

Not yet

On 3/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, No.4 said:

...I did raise the assembly up above the top of the bass bins 1 1/2” then 3”. There seemed to be subtle differences, but no game changers. I will angle them at the listening position tomorrow. For now I will enjoy...

Any new developments?  I noticed that sitting down at the listening position made a fairly large difference with the single AMT-1s on top of Khorn clone bass bins.  All that says to me is that the vertical coverage is fairly narrow.  Perhaps I should try the advice that I gave earlier on in this thread, and see if the vertical coverage can be increased by using a double stack on my Belles and delaying the top AMT-1 to approximate a curved line array, as in case "f" below:

upload_2017-1-8_1-38-25-png.4422

Chris

• Like 1