Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
rplace

DAC Suggestions

Recommended Posts

ESS is on top of their game imo.  Wish I had my old AMT 1's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 7:58 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

I just helped @babadono get access to some FLAC files on an external USB drive

Just wanted to add that's an eclectic mix on that drive....of course over a terabyte there is bound to be variety:)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm pretty sure you will find a solution for just over 1 Kilobuck with the advice from others here  since your aim is only 2 copper wires per channel, and not a Digital Xover with PEQ's and time delays.

 

If your referring to me due to my signature it is out of date and I need to update it. I'm currently running an active (Xilica 8080) 2-way set up with 8" full range drivers in Oris 150 Horns. Top half fed by Single Ended VRDs but soon to be a First Watt J2 which has balanced connections. Once that arrives it will be Pre with balanced outs to Xilica to either First Watt (high end) and Crown (Bass bins) all with balanced connections.

 

If you are referring to @Thaddeus Smith then I'm really confused because I think you sold him the Yahama DSP so  you know he has a Digital XO.:huh2:

 

At any rate thanks for the heads up and positive feedback on the Saber chips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, rplace said:

 

If your referring to me due to my signature it is out of date and I need to update it. I'm currently running an active (Xilica 8080) 2-way set up with 8" full range drivers in Oris 150 Horns. Top half fed by Single Ended VRDs but soon to be a First Watt J2 which has balanced connections. Once that arrives it will be Pre with balanced outs to Xilica to either First Watt (high end) and Crown (Bass bins) all with balanced connections.

 

If you are referring to @Thaddeus Smith then I'm really confused because I think you sold him the Yahama DSP so  you know he has a Digital XO.:huh2:

 

At any rate thanks for the heads up and positive feedback on the Saber chips.

I only used his quote as a spring board to my comment for YOU. Thanks for the gear update. You have some really good stuff and are moving along in the right direction!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rplace said:

If your referring to me due to my signature it is out of date and I need to update it. I'm currently running an active (Xilica 8080) 2-way set up with 8" full range drivers in Oris 150 Horns. Top half fed by Single Ended VRDs but soon to be a First Watt J2 which has balanced connections.

 

Quoting here to make sure I'm reading correctly:  What caught my attention was your reference to "...single-ended VRDs...."

 

What?!  Seriously??!!  Did Craig design a single-ended version of his VRDs?  For as long as I can remember, Craig and single-ended amps were like oil and water, or wax resist and ceramic glaze!  Is there more information on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erik2A3 said:

 

Quoting here to make sure I'm reading correctly:  What caught my attention was your reference to "...single-ended VRDs...."

 

What?!  Seriously??!!  Did Craig design a single-ended version of his VRDs?  For as long as I can remember, Craig and single-ended amps were like oil and water, or wax resist and ceramic glaze!  Is there more information on this?

 

Not SET. Perhaps I'm using the term wrong. Aren't RCA cables referred to as single ended cables and XLR cables "balanced". I'm just saying that with my active DSP and no passive crossover networks that I'm moving to all balanced connections when possible and not RCA cables.

 

Based on you name, I guess you like SET amps. I really regret selling my 2A3 mono blocks form George Wright. I found them to be wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any input on hifiberry? I always liked the sound of my Nac music bank CD player with Burr Brown dac. I see it is Room ready. There is a XLR version too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:33 AM, rplace said:

Any input on hifiberry? I always liked the sound of my Nac music bank CD player with Burr Brown dac. I see it is Room ready. There is a XLR version too.

 

Anyone? Or just use Raspeberry pi for endpoint and go with "better" DAC. Very curious if any feedback on hifi berry? @Thaddeus Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rplace said:

 

Anyone? Or just use Raspeberry pi for endpoint and go with "better" DAC. Very curious if any feedback on hifi berry? @Thaddeus Smith

 

Hifiberry is a popular choice, there's also an alternative brand that I'll try and dig up for you. I'm using the hifiberry digi+ board for coax output to AES/EBU input on my yamaha dsp with positive results. I run Ropieee XL on the raspberry pi, which has native support for at least the hifiberry products (others too) and it integrates the player endpoint technologies for Roon, HQPlayer, Spotify, etc.

 

edit: here's one strongly recommended alternative.. http://iqaudio.co.uk/hats/47-pi-dac-pro.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I run Ropieee XL on the raspberry pi

 

I just started looking into it yesterday. I feel like the rabbit hole is grabbing ahold here. I just wanted a good, solid DAC and was hoping to stand on others shoulders. A simple buy this and all your problems are solved. I must admit I'm still quite enamored with the Brooklyn DAC +. It has LOMC cartridge support. Seems like the perfect thing to replace a preamp, phono stage and switch between digital and vinyl. I'm guessing Raspberry PI running Ropiee would be a valid Roon endpoint, then Brooklyn DAC for switching, volume, vinyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rplace said:

 

Anyone? Or just use Raspeberry pi for endpoint and go with "better" DAC. Very curious if any feedback on hifi berry? @Thaddeus Smith

I have the hifiberry DAC with a raspberry pi I love it so simple to use, Michael talked me into running it with ropieee so I can use as a ROON endpoint. I plan to add the 7' touchscreen in the near future. I have compared this dac to my older Cambridge audio dacmagic and couldn't really tell a difference. Amazing really that a package so cheap and small can sound as good as it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rplace said:

I'm guessing Raspberry PI running Ropiee would be a valid Roon endpoint, then Brooklyn DAC for switching, volume, vinyl.

 

Yup. Go with a raspberry pi model 4.. they've improved the usb circuits in this latest iteration and it no longer shares the LAN port. Or an older version Pi with a coax output HAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, last night I was able, clunkity clunk, to get the USB drive hooked up to my laptop. Foobar2000 played files through the dinky laptop speakers--audio nirvana --ok I'm done:)

But seriously I was then able to get the Oppo BDP on the same wifi network using its supplied USB to wifi dongle. Then installed at Oppo's suggestion a piece of software called oshare that allowed the Oppo to get files from the USB drive over the wifi connection. But the Oppo is still driving, meaning I have to use its remote to search through the files and choose what to play. I want my laptop to be the driver. Is there a way to make Foobar "broadcast" the file being played over the wifi instead of the built in speakers? Do I need a completely different app. on the laptop? Will this only work with a wired connection, say HDMI from laptop to an HDMI input on the AVR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, babadono said:

Will this only work with a wired connection, say HDMI from laptop to an HDMI input on the AVR?

 

That's the correct answer. Or some sort of USB DAC which can then be plugged into your other systems' pre-amps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, sucks but ok. In my basement 2 channel rig I have an old Emotiva XDA-1 DAC (not the best DAC I know) which I believe has a USB input. So my laptop will hook up to this? Through another USB out on the laptop? WIll this be PnP? OR clunkity, clunk,clunk:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rplace said:

 

I just started looking into it yesterday. I feel like the rabbit hole is grabbing ahold here. I just wanted a good, solid DAC and was hoping to stand on others shoulders. A simple buy this and all your problems are solved. I must admit I'm still quite enamored with the Brooklyn DAC +. It has LOMC cartridge support. Seems like the perfect thing to replace a preamp, phono stage and switch between digital and vinyl. I'm guessing Raspberry PI running Ropiee would be a valid Roon endpoint, then Brooklyn DAC for switching, volume, vinyl.

I was in a very similar situation a while back, even using the oppo 203 like you have been.  Eventually went with a Mcintosh d100 I found used.  Since it has a pre-amp in it, I guess it all stays digital.  I even removed my rebuilt marantz 7 tube pre-amp from the line-up.  The mac has balanced outputs as well.  I thought about the Brooklyn products for a while and am still thinking about trying one; they seem to do everything.  The Mac doesn't have phono though.  I have had about 10 DACs, and I eventually narrowed it down to a couple and thought the Mac was better than the others.  And even then I'm not sure I heard much difference it just seemed more neutral? maybe not quite as bright;  though I hate those terms they seem to fit.  Not sure if the d100 fits all your requirements but I like mine.  The newer d150 may be even better.  And its the only mcintosh product I have in my current system so I'm not a fanboy of theirs or anything (I find most of it too expensive).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@babadono @Thaddeus Smith

Why laptop/windows at all. I've taken files on a USB thumb drive and played them directly on the OPPO's USB port on the front of the device, not going behind with wires or anything. Yes the "driving" sucks on the OPPO, but until you get networked storage (a NAS) why bother with a lap top at all? USB drive to OPPO, turn on projector navigate via Oppo's crappy interface and done.

 

That said you should read Tahheals streaming thread and be mindful of my Sonos ramblings. Just buy a used Sonos connect and you will be loving life. Forget everything else except getting you music files on the network....which it sounds like you have already done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, babadono said:

ok, sucks but ok. In my basement 2 channel rig I have an old Emotiva XDA-1 DAC (not the best DAC I know) which I believe has a USB input. So my laptop will hook up to this? Through another USB out on the laptop? WIll this be PnP? OR clunkity, clunk,clunk:)

OK tried the Emotiva DAC last night. Took the laptop downstairs with the USB drive. Hooked the laptop up to the DAC with anther USB cable. Win10 found DAC, configured it in about 5 to 10 seconds. I checked in Control Panel and it had already set the DAC up as the default device. Launced Foobar and was playing music, total time 1 to 2 minutes. I'm JAZZED!!

Thanks @Thaddeus Smith

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...