Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
boleiro

Wannabe La Scala Owner Dilemma...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-La-Scala-AGC-4-Amp-Floorstanding-3-Way-Loudspeaker-Speaker-Vintage-Pair/293646857327?hash=item445eb7746f:g:NNcAAOSw0eRe3pWV

 

These should sound better beccause of  K-43 woofers, pay the freight, which should be about $200, then buy a couple of Dayton Subwoofers to cross at 80 Hz. and you're done.

  What is a LS AGC-4 Amp speaker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

  What is a LS AGC-4 Amp speaker?

he is referring to the fuse rating of the fuse holder at the rear of the speaker on the terminal cup -s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-La-Scala-AGC-4-Amp-Floorstanding-3-Way-Loudspeaker-Speaker-Vintage-Pair/293646857327?hash=item445eb7746f:g:NNcAAOSw0eRe3pWV

 

These should sound better beccause of  K-43 woofers, pay the freight, which should be about $200, then buy a couple of Dayton Subwoofers to cross at 80 Hz. and you're done.

those are the LSI's I was referring to in my original question about renovating these into the home version.  Most say the project wouldn't be worth the effort.  What is the reason behind saying the LSI's will sound better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, boleiro said:

Hey Randy... so it seemed that to that the majority of the replies advised against buying the LSI's with the intent to restore them to the classic La Scala home version.  There is no way I would get them and keep them stock.  Just trying to get what I want and not have any regrets later.  

 

and on a side note, I did get a message from another forum member offering up some la scala's he's had for awhile.  They came to him with bad paint job, but in good shape and all stock.  he replaced the caps and repainted black.  Looks good, but I would still want to sand and refinish with a wood stain.  $1600 sound fair?

1356352240_LaScala.thumb.jpg.150b4bbcb9119e43c6e8efce3323834e.jpg

Have you found you r pair yet @boleiro

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More food for thought....if you got the black pair and wanted to refinish them, you could keep them black, attach a 1/4" or 1/2" nice piece of plywood on the outside of them....  refinish THAT to make it as you please, and you have the inner portion blackened out, thicker side walls (which will help reduce some resonance) and a pretty exterior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boleiro said:

those are the LSI's I was referring to in my original question about renovating these into the home version.  Most say the project wouldn't be worth the effort.  What is the reason behind saying the LSI's will sound better?

The K-43 in Industrial LaScalas in your original photo. Because of the heavier DUTY WOOFER it has way better midrange response than the K33 in the domestic version. Cosmetics be damned it's the better LaScala by far. I have owned both, measured both, and listened to both critically. The fuse in the back should give you a clue that it's better built also.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Panelhead said:

  What is a LS AGC-4 Amp speaker?

Something the guy doing the ad has no clue about and is just copying the text.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks Claude!  that is first time I have heard anything positive regarding the the LSI's... not that I heard anything negative either.  I guess I just never heard much about the sound of these at all.  thanks again!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, boleiro said:

those are the LSI's I was referring to in my original question about renovating these into the home version.  Most say the project wouldn't be worth the effort.  What is the reason behind saying the LSI's will sound better?

the LSI can handle more power than a regular LS ,  200 watts versus 100 or 150- more midbass - more midrange response -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, boleiro said:

thanks Claude!  that is first time I have heard anything positive regarding the the LSI's... not that I heard anything negative either.  I guess I just never heard much about the sound of these at all.  thanks again!

 

you have to audition them   

 

-   take an Ohmmeter set to OHMS  with you and 2 screwdrivers    /a  flat screwdriver and a Phillips screwdriver -----remove the rear cover screws-     and remove  in order on the terminal strip the 2 wires of the woofer of speaker 1 and 2 , they should read closer to  4 ohms -

 

-then do the same for the midrange  k55M - it should be closer to 16 ohms , and last the tweeters K77M , they should be  closer to 8ohms --- 

 

   any very low DCR  readings  or none 0 on your ohmmeter   , means the component is defective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

thanks Randy... Auditioning them would great!  I would love to compare by listening to both as 've never heard a La Scala of any variety with my own ears.  However, the closest pair of LSI's appear to be in California.  That is not going to happen anytime soon.  I live in a HiFi wasteland.  I've just read through some of your other posts regarding the K43 and the LSI's and it all sounds great.  Hopefully a pair show up closer to home soon.

 

Per your post on power handling, my purposes for these would be a 2 channel set up, mainly for vinyl.  They will be powered by a Line Magnetic LM211ia tube amp (15wpc).  So their ability to shine with low powered amps is where my interests lie.  And yes, looks do matter to me (and my wife), so the rugged club look won't fly.  Wouldn't be opposed to a project restoring to a more Domestic version look... but many say it is a very big job to get even an average result.  Unless a pair popped up locally at a reasonable price, I think the best way forward to wait for the La Scala pair that checks off at least most of the boxes for my situation.

Edited by boleiro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this pair for about $1300, but a little over 10 years ago. I did replace he crossover and add a different tweeter on top later, but they sounded great and the original finish, while not perfect, looked fine from my listening position.

 

It's all about patience...

 

 

APT_baffle_04.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are beautiful Marvel, that is ultimately what I want aesthetically.  I've settled down quite a bit from my initial post... reason has returned.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just searched using Tempest Search which searches Craigslist all over the USA, and found a pair listed in Bend Oregon for $1500.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boleiro said:

Those are beautiful Marvel, that is ultimately what I want aesthetically.  I've settled down quite a bit from my initial post... reason has returned.  

 

That’s good to hear.  It’s easy to get into buying fever:  “I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription is BIGGER HORNS!”.  However, three things are needed to get great speakers, especially used ones:  patience, searching, and cash.  Put some cash aside each month and you’ll soon have a bigger pile than you expected.  Speaking for myself, I’ve left Vancouver Island (the ferry crossing tales 90 minutes) three times to buy speakers on the mainland, plus one time I crossed to the mainland and drove to Seattle to buy a power amp.  In each case it was worth it, even with the $150CAD ferry fare for driver and van to cross over and return.  The return drive is more pleasant, because you’ve got a pair (or more) of great speakers sitting behind you.

 

If you really care about looks, a pair of used La Scala IIs might be just what you want.  They look better and sound better, and are showing up on the used market in slowly increasing numbers.  As I’ve often said, it costs less and is more satisfying to buy the speakers you really want on the first go, instead of buying less and selling, and then buying something else closer to what you really want, and so on.  Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Islander said:

As I’ve often said, it costs less and is more satisfying to buy the speakers you really want on the first go, instead of buying less and selling, and then buying something else closer to what you really want, and so on.

 

Very, very TRUE!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Negatron said:

I just searched using Tempest Search which searches Craigslist all over the USA, and found a pair listed in Bend Oregon for $1500.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
 

Yes he saw those listed already by Alexander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, boleiro said:

  Unless a pair popped up locally at a reasonable price, I think the best way forward to wait for the La Scala pair that checks off at least most of the boxes for my situation.

there was a beautiful pair last week  on sale --------BEAUTIFUL CONDITION

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

there was a beautiful pair last week  on sale --------BEAUTIFUL CONDITION

Where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Where?

Gone -------------

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...