Did I do good?

Deang

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!

Those babies look very nice indeed. Please let us know how they compare to your RF-7's

I had my eye on them as a possible pair o' Klipsch in a system for my warehouse employees. However, it was obvious they were going to fetch serious jack, and were waaay too nice, condition wise, for a cold, damp warehouse. If anyone sees or hears of a beat up, old pair of Heresy's, Forte's, Quartet's or anything else that may work, please let me know.

Regards,

Chris

Well, there's the rub. I have no intention of taking the RF7's off of those Apollos. It's a melt in your mouth kind of sound.

I sold the DQ's in less than 3 hours today, and the buyer didn't even try to talk me down. He paid the 3% paypal and all the shipping to boot. So, I had $750 left after the Heresy purchase. I really wanted to buy some replacement tubes for the Apollos, and so I just got done doing that. The new KR300BXLS' were $450. I had to do this, because I don't know what kind of money I will have in the future, and the new tube is much improved over the original version that came with the amps, so -- I'm down to $350.00. I listed the Aragon today as well, and I'm hoping for $750 here. I really want to put some of this away for a rainy day, or some other insane spur of the moment upgrade.

So, I need an amp for the Heresys.

What I really need is an integrated that has a preout, so I can use my SVS with those whimpy Heresys. I don't think there is anyway to use an Eico or Scott with my SVS, or least, not that I can think of right off hand. I don't have any high level input/outputs on my HSU electronic crossover. Damn, should have bought those K-horns instead...hee hee

I'll have to think on this for a while.

Those are beauts! I just love my 74's, could not ask for more w/in reason of course.

right now i am bidding on a HK430, so don't bid against me! :) i am klipschter on eBay, my first bid since it finally realized I was a human... used to it would not let me sign up... weird.

i really want to "win" this auction, but I also don't want to spend more than it is worth... grrr... oh well, my dad said spend what i am willing to, he is all for me getting a great system. well, as long as i will let him spin some of his music on it haha.

Lordy. See, you are all fouled up now!

Not so sure about the Heresy purchase. I don't think you are going to be too in love with that one. If anything, you might have really gone ape over the the Klipschorn, which would have actually been LESS obtrusive than your DQ-10 downstairs! They would go in the corners and take up less space and you would have probably FREAKED. But the Heresy has some problems and I think you wont be satisfied with this knowing how much you like full bottom end and a balanced sound. The Cornwall have VERY nice, full lows. Khorns too. Heresy sounds a bit anemic and just doesn't strike me as the Heritage to chose, unless FREE or your first speaker of this type.

I think you should go for the Klipschorns in the Corners!!!

SERIOUSLY. Then you could try ANY amp you wanted. 10Y SET? Let's hear it! 45 SET? No problem. 2A3 Monos? Monster Mash! 300B? BOOM!

IF there is any way you could foist the Heresy sale onto someone else I would. And find some GREAT Alnico Khorns run by some Type A crossovers as your downstairs, in the corner purchase. Seriously, your wife doesn't realize they are LESS IN THE WAY AND MORE APPEALING than most speakers in that they look like more like furniture than the average box. The other home construction altec thing I dont see you doing. It's a good alternative and might make you the most happy but it aint gonna happen. I dont see you assembling bass bins and varios horns....Indeed, your wife would put a bullet in your head upon site of anything resembling something from behind a movie theatre screen or at the Frat party from hell!

Based on ALL you progress audio-wise, I would just stop messing around. Hell, why get your feet wet yet again with the Heresy, which will bring about the DEANG AUDIOGON HELL ONE MORE TIME when you can DIVE INTO THE DEEP END of clear liquid with a BIG OLE 104dB answer to your SET dreams? Knowing your taste, it's the only thing besides Cornwalls that totally makes sense (and the ultimate Altec-Lansing assortment that aint gonna happen). It makes sense MORE than anything. You would be able to have ANY amp you desired with NO SPEAKER limitation.

You really need to talk to your wife about this one. I don't think you would regret if for a second. I would do it if I was you without a second thought.

Hell, have I steered you wrong yet?

kh

Kelly is absolutely correct here. That I would not be happy with anything other than the Khorns was immediately obvious to me when I sat at the dealer's showroom 20-some years ago and the salesdude (what prolific writing, eh?) A/B/C/Ded the Horns with the rest of the Heritage line. You can fall in love slowly, upgrading as you go, or get married to the Khorns for life! (I'm sure you can find use for the Heresy's somewhere, but Khorns will be your main output devices!)

No, you've never steered me wrong, and there were certainly times I passed on your advice only to regret it later. This is probably one of those times. Right now, it's simply a matter of timing. The Aragon is still sitting out at AudiogoN, and I definitely wanted new tubes for the Apollos. I really just don't have all of my duckies in a row right now for a K-horn purchase. For now, I just wanted to get something 'Heritage' in here to play around with.

I went after these particular Heresys because they were cherry, and I figured they would be fairly easy to sell off when I make a move later. I also noticed that the seller cut and paste the information from the products section of this site. These are 'old school' Heresys, and I'm thinking old HD might even have slapped these together. They certainly don't look like MDF from the front.

I'm also somewhat handicapped by not knowing everything I want to know about the bigger horns and the various configurations of the drivers. It's a bit overwhelming, and I do know that not all K-horns are created equal.

There will be more K-horns. For now, I'll tickle myself with these lil o'le ****kickers and see what happens. What I really want to do is expose myself to the horn midrange, and see if I take a dive under the couch. I'm not so much worried about the big picture right now. I have one of the better SVS offerings and a great crossover, and I'm sure it will be more then able to round out the bottom and bring some balance to the signature.

The fun thing about this hobby is never being done, jeepers -- if I go to the K-horns now -- then what:)

I still think it's not too late to back out and find someone in here interested in these mint Heresy (of later vintage it seems). But I am telling you, if I were your wife and you kept bringing in thing after thing, piece after piece, taking up night and day only to be sold yet again...well, patience is only a virtue controllable for so long. You are crying wolf more times than humanely possible, certainly more than anyone on this forum. In comes two more sheep in wolf's clothing for you to piddle with till your eyes reverse in your sockets. Listen, you will wonder WHERE THE LOW END went which is needed for the complete balancing act for the Heritage sound in my opinion. Yes, the Heresy are neat little speakers but knowing how sensitive you are to this midrange Klipsch horn sound in general, you will want the Heritage with the MOST balanced sound from top to bottom with a low end that brings the mids more into perspective. Based on your response to the LaScala, which have FAR MORE attributes than the Heresy, you will be carrying these things up the stairs yet again! And your wife, one more time, will watch you dance the pathetic UPS blues, this time with BIG BOXES yet again.

What are you doing, man? Get a grip out there before the FREEEZE!!

kh

ps- besides, those dont even look to be the best mid drivers for those beasts. You are stepping onto the Merry-Go-Round yet again, this time with a horse with a slick pole and NO EYES....

Stop it Kelly, you're killing me. What a hellaciously funny post. I don't even know what to say.

Man, I LIKE trying different things. The DQ's are the first thing I've taken a loss on. I've discovered first hand what works and what doesn't. That doesn't happen unless you try different things. If I'd went straight to the Apollos or some other SET option, I would have always wondered what P-P sounded like, or good solid state like the Bryston. I have opinions based on first hand experience, and not what some reviewer said. I'm not looking for the Holy Grail here -- I'm just trying to have some fun with the music!

The K-horns are coming, I can see that. But this Heritage purchase only sets me back $500, and hell, I spent almost that much on two tubes today. This purchase is no big deal. If need be, I can turn them over in week, and hey -- I can actually say I HEARD a pair.

I am curious about your comment regarding the midrange horn. There should be Alnico magnets in both the tweeter and the midrange. Hmmm. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I know your audio theory here. I hear you loud and clear. Of course, there is something to be said for pushing a two foot tall glass porcupine off the cliff to learn instead of taking the leap yourself. Then again, you might just be closer to your UPS man than I realize! heh...

OK. Enough said. You got the full treatment.

I was only giving you a hard time, most of it tongue in cheek although riddled with truth. Still....those were some pretty DQ-10!

Man, you just have buying disease gone bad! btw, where the hell did you get those KR tubes? That's BIG money!

kh

ps- no alnico in those mids unfortunately (from what it seems). Lord, I just noticed that was your VERY FIRST ebay purchase???

Deang,

I honestly think that the heresy has plenty of bass.

I think that where it appears to be lacking is mainly at lower listening levels.

I bought Star Wars Episode II the other day and I must say I was really impressed with the bass output of the heresy.

The section where Obi-Wan chases Jango Fett through the asteroid belt is amazing.

Compared with my JBL's the bass on the JBL's sounds a liitle rounder and fatter at low volumes, where the heresy starts to shine is at louder volumes.

Honestly though the only heritage series I've heard were Heresies and LaScalas, and the LaScalas not for an extended period.

Still I think that as you said you gain experience by buying these and listening to them.

I think that Mobile is maybe being a little hard on them, obviously they are not going to equal a much larger speaker, a cornwall is just plain bigger and a LaScala and Khorn bigger still.

You have to take the heresy for what it is, a very nice small-mid sized speaker.

Oh well just my two cents.

Those are some really nice and clean looking speakers that you got.

btw, I emailed laurie trying to explain the difference between MDF and Birch Plywood. 2.gif

Peace, Josh

Well Dean - welcome to the world of the Heresy.

I am one of the few here who is delighted you got them, but for my own reasons.

Here's what I want you to do, connect up the Heresy's to your RF7 system, in place of the RF7's and let me know how the midrange and highs compare - ignore the bass issue.

I ask this because it has crossed my mind that an RF7 might be of interest to me to replace the Heresy / Sansui options I have now.

It seems that I can sell the 2 pairs for just about 2/3rds of the price of the RF7...

All that aside dont let kelly talk you out of these BEFORE you hear them - try them out - decide for yourself if you like them. AS everyone says Heresy's are a little bass shy, but their actual performance will vary according to the room they are placed in and the amp driving them.

When I ran mine from the Accuphase they bottomed out at 63Hz. On the PP tubes they bottom out at 47 Hz (everything else the same). No idea why, but the peak the Heresy's had at 50 Hz with the tubes really could fool you into thinking they have bass. It is only when I compared the sound to that with the Sub that I realised quite what bass was missing, even with the tubes.

Do I need to tell you what sub is the best match for the Heresy's - I must have written it here a hundred times...

MaxG,

You hit the nail on the head with "according to where you place them and the amp used"!!

Trust me...when Justin gets his little H/K 430 in, he will find out what I wish some of you other folks could find out with your Heresys...that little 25 wpc baby is a bass monster with Heresys, provided the Heresys are properly placed...the twin-powered amp section of that little receiver is quite amazing!!

I have to agree that k-horns are by far the king of the Heritage line in ALL things, but the Heresy is no slouch, either! LOL! As for the mids being overpowering to some...that, too is also due in part to the amplifier used...and of course to the sensitivity of one's ears to the midrange...as related to the other frequencies in the musical spectrum.

Enjoy your Heresys when they come in!