SCHITT SYS DEMO by Carl

CECAA850

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Yeah but your deaf:)

What you trying out? And why? 

TIA because I know I can understand the response. 

I'm trying a Schiit SYS in place of my Adcom pre.  Why?  I like trying new stuff (like different kinds of bourbon, LOL).  I keep reading about how this pre does this well or that pre does that well.  I don't want my pre to do anything other than transfer a signal to my amp.  One of 3 things will happen.  It'll sound better, it'll sound worse or it'll sound the same.  If the Schiit sounds worse or the same, I'll stick with the Adcom.  If it sounds better, I'll permanently remove the Adcom.  The system sounds great as it is but I enjoy trying new things.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@CECAA850 I split this into it's own thread. Interested to see what you thought. 

Travis

I only got to use it on one system this weekend and had to send it back home with my daughter.  Speakers were 396's combined with a 684 sub.  QSC on the speakers and Crown on the sub.  I put the SYS in place of my Adcom pre.  The SYS seemed a little clearer up high where the cymbals live and a little clearer on vocals.  The Adcom had better mid bass and felt a little weightier.  While I was messing around I put my Transcendant Sounds Grounded Grid preamp in next.  It had the highs of the SYS and mid bass of the Adcom.  The only negative I could find was that vocals were a little more forward in this than the other two.  It was amazing to me how different they were.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I only got to use it on one system this weekend and had to send it back home with my daughter.  Speakers were 396's combined with a 684 sub.  QSC on the speakers and Crown on the sub.  I put the SYS in place of my Adcom pre.  The SYS seemed a little clearer up high where the cymbals live and a little clearer on vocals.  The Adcom had better mid bass and felt a little weightier.  While I was messing around I put my Transcendant Sounds Grounded Grid preamp in next.  It had the highs of the SYS and mid bass of the Adcom.  The only negative I could find was that vocals were a little more forward in this than the other two.  It was amazing to me how different they were.

Obviously it was the solider.

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

I still remember my amazement at the astounding bandwidth of Carl’s GG preamp.  When inserted between my CD player and any of my amps there was no change at all in sound quality.  I’m not easily impressed!

Maynard

Sounds pretty good for a preamp built without 8 ga wire.

• Haha 1

@tube fanatic Question Maynard.  Im currently running and loving the Grounded Grid pre in the system that previously had the Adcom and briefly SYS.  Why is the gain structure so different on this than the other 2 preamps?  A quarter volume on the GG produces about as much volume as half volume (on the knob) on the other two. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, CECAA850 said:

I'm trying a Schiit SYS in place of my Adcom pre... 

If the Schiit sounds worse or the same, I'll stick with the Adcom.  If it sounds better, I'll permanently remove the Adcom.  

It's funny... if someone else does this, they are instantly lambasted and ridiculed, 'where's the science... where's the measurements...'

I say try it, you might like it... 

14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

@tube fanatic Question Maynard.  Im currently running and loving the Grounded Grid pre in the system that previously had the Advom and briefly SYS.  Why is the gain structure so different on this than the other 2 preamps?  A quarter volume on the GG produces about as much volume as half volume (on the knob) on the other two. 

A comparison with the SYS isn’t valid since it has no gain.  The gain of the GG is probably higher than that of the Adcom as a design choice.  As I recall, its maximum output voltage is far greater than that of the Adcom. The position of the volume control does not correlate with output voltage.  That can be measured if you have a signal generator or test cd.  

Maynard

46 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

A comparison with the SYS isn’t valid since it has no gain.  The gain of the GG is probably higher than that of the Adcom as a design choice.  As I recall, its maximum output voltage is far greater than that of the Adcom. The position of the volume control does not correlate with output voltage.  That can be measured if you have a signal generator or test cd.  

Maynard

makes perfect sense, thanks.