Jump to content



Recommended Posts

Starting a new build of a set of Belles.


Material is 24mm baltic birch ply for the doghouse & 18mm baltic birch ply for the rest of the cabinet. The sides & back will have two layers of 18mm ply. 

Here is the new table saw which should do the job. 


  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First up is a full scale drawing of the dog house. From there I will work outwards towards the external sides of the cabinet. 


The dimensions were altered to account for the thicker ply material & to keep the internal dimensions of the dog house the same as the original design. 



  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then I made a jig to cut the steep angle on the ramps. If I did this again I would make this a bit differently as with this jig I couldn't cut through the full width of the material & had to do two cuts. Still came out reasonably OK though. 






  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a dry fit for one of the cabs. All seems to go together OK.


Need to complete the other cab & then dismantle & start veneering. 


Will veneer the doghouse, the inside of the bottom panel & the inside of the side panels. 


Then fit the backs & the extra layers for the sides & back. 




  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Completed the rear panels today, complete with splitters. 

Just used some scrap material for the splitters & cut to size on the table saw. 


Also made a template for the veneer to go on the inside of the cabinets......at the bottom of the cabinet between the sides & the dog house. The template is sitting on the top of the cabs.... it fits really well.  I removed the bottom of the cabinets ......placed the cardboard underneath & traced out the shape.


It's going to be tricky to adhere this, as the contact cement only gives you one go.  





  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Waiting on some screws to arrive before I can continue with the bass bin, so started on the mid horns. 


Will do these a few segments at a time.....here's the first five segments. 


These are glued & screwed together. Dave provides dowel pins to key them together in the correct position, so you can't really go wrong. 

Bought a Die Grinder to get the rough sections off first & then hand sand with varying levels of sandpaper.


The die grinder makes light work of this job & you can easily position it to remove even small amounts of material. I wish I had this when I built my last two sets!


Screws arrived today, so will get back to the bass bins on Wednesday.






  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...