Lack of volume

Jefe

-the OP is using a 70wpc tube amp  ---that's 3db more and 2x the power rating  than the 35 wpc amp , I was using as an example -----and the amp is at 12 o'clock on the dial , which means , he's pushing way more than 1 wpc -

32 minutes ago, HiFi Heaven said:

Connect an analog AC voltmeter across your speaker leads at the amplifier.  2.83 volts = one watt.  28.3 volts = 100 watts.

You are right about using a voltmeter (or DMM). He needs to put on a steady pure tone (anywhere between 200 to 800 Hz). Leave the knob in the 12:00 position or whatever and tell us what the Volts (VAC) reads. This will be far too loud, so you will probably need to disconnect the speaker and use a power resistor (10 ohm /10 watt is one possibility) to load the amp (remember this is tube equipment). Be careful and do this quickly since the power resistor is probably too small and will get quite hot fairly quickly. Using music as a test signal is not ideal since the meter will fluctuate all over the place.

Good luck,

-Tom

Note, when you are fooling around doing this DO NOT SHORT the output of the amplifier 

BTW, I doubt you are using anywhere near 35 Watts. 

The issue is we have no idea what kind of potentiometer (volume knob) is being used (log, linear, audio taper etc)

43 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

post the video , 1w/1m  , 105DB  with an LS   , I'll be waiting for the results -better yet , do a 10 watts test and let's see how many DB a LS can produce , with K33-K55-K77:biggrin:

Which means you still don't get it.  You aren't listening to what I or others are trying to explain.  I'm done.

Usually( and I mean USUALLY) when you are at 12 o clock on a logarithmic potentiometer you are at 1/10 of its total value. This means you are -20dB, one tenth, from its full rated output. Now is the rest of the amplifier set up such that it is not at full output until the volume control is all the way up? This is hardly ever the case, but a good estimate is still at 12 o clock you are at one tenth(NO ONE HUNDREDTH) rated output.

EDIT  1-6-2021  Yes you are at -20dB which means the potentiometer is outputting one tenth the VOLTAGE to the amplifing circuits which makes the POWER output one hundredth of the total. It's logarithms man.

28 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

-the OP is using a 70wpc tube amp  ---that's 3db more and 2x the power rating  than the 35 wpc amp , I was using as an example -----and the amp is at 12 o'clock on the dial , which means , he's pushing way more than 1 wpc -

"Someday going to have a long talk with that boy..."

The maximum version, called Aleos Ultra, uses Russian-made with 4 x  KT150 power tubes that can permanently deliver a whopping 70 watts per channel. These specifications refer to the amplifier's pentode operation. All variants of the Tsakiridis Aeolos are switchable between power-promoting pentode and sound-optimizing triode operation via a toggle switch, which is located on the surface of the housing between the four 12AT7 input tubes and the power tubes behind them. In the second case, the Aeolos Ultra still has 36 watts per channel (Class A/B, as in pentode mode).However, the problem can in no way be due to the performance of the Tsakiridis Aloes Ultra. When playing analog source devices, you obviously don't have the same dynamic range as with digital source devices. Maybe it is simply because of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Since you have said you've never measured this, who are you to say what "the truth" is?    Or did I miss something?

there are now so many companies who flat out lie that everyone pretty much has jumped on the band wagon. I have not measured them but there has been much discussion on this topic. A LaScala might do 105 db at some peak and justify the number if that is what you call justified. I guess it is probably closer to around 103 at 1KHz., drop down to 140 Hz (and below) and tell me what you measure. Who am I? Nobody, so you can be a somebody and measure one or you can pass and be a nobody too.