DIY build - need help/advice

MercedesBerater

Adding poly fill to the one side (easier to get to now)   Then I’ll find some time do add the right side wall & clamp up. 
and need one more sheet to do a double baffle and then I’ll have a third sheet on the front with 45* decorative edge around speakers and the perimeter of box.  Technically a triple-baffle, but the speakers will only bolt into 2 sheets. 

7E0C8C0A-08C5-459D-8E67-2ADCF3DFF42D.jpeg

81175B1C-4FA9-462D-8DFE-FC8E0334AE4E.jpeg

@CECAA850  - yes  subs will bolt through 2 layers of 3/4 cabinet grade MDF   (i spent the extra for the good stuff from a real lumber yard, instead of the cheap stuff from Big blue, Big Orange, Big Green.)   then, around the subwoofers there will be a third sheet  with a 45* bevel around subwoofers and 45* bevel around the front face.  make them look recessed, and add some more stiffness - but they won't bolt through it. so not sure if that counts as a triple or double, or a deuce and a half.  ;)  

4 minutes ago, MercedesBerater said:

@CECAA850  - yes  subs will bolt through 2 layers of 3/4 cabinet grade MDF   (i spent the extra for the good stuff from a real lumber yard, instead of the cheap stuff from Big blue, Big Orange, Big Green.)   then, around the subwoofers there will be a third sheet  with a 45* bevel around subwoofers and 45* bevel around the front face.  make them look recessed, and add some more stiffness - but they won't bolt through it. so not sure if that counts as a triple or double, or a deuce and a half.  ;)  

Cabinet grade mdf is the only way to go.  The big box store stuff is called mdf but is more like particle board.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 8:24 AM, MercedesBerater said:

(i spent the extra for the good stuff from a real lumber yard, instead of the cheap stuff from Big blue, Big Orange, Big Green.)

I'm curious where you bought from. If you are in Roscoe, I live 15-20 minutes from you; I'm North of Belvidere

Test fitting the holes before adding second layer of MDF.... tested again... then added the 3rd layer for a recessed fit with 45* chamfer — I didn’t do a full chamfer on it, I started it right where the basket ends- I thought that would look more seamless. 

working on bondo on the seams... and making nice and smooth.

then I’ll round over all the corners & add a 45* chamfer to the perimeter of the front  then cut out the vent and round over the top and bottom edges.  ( I think I’m going to leave the side walls squared off) 

started shopping for paint codes.... 

leaning towards  Bentley Beluga Black with a buffed and polished finish for a high gloss. Then probably ceramic coat it to prevent scratches and swirls in the paint. 

C2E3E810-69FA-4241-8717-9D899A5FAB5F.jpeg

843D1A35-77AF-447D-800D-079F0D578B18.jpeg

E8754B2D-28E6-40F0-8345-6255B925FD4B.jpeg

7FEFFB72-3525-4261-861E-410535326A59.jpeg

@Marvel   5 sheets of MDF  minus the falloff and cutouts.  i figured at 375lb  plus another 40-50 for speakers, glue, cable, polyfill 🤣  and whatnot.   450 seems about right.

i have it on two 2x4's so i can have a place to get my hands around it to lift and rotate as i work on each side.  and BOY is it heavy!!   i tried to lift it up to put another block under it for a little more clearance for the Bondo spreader thing -- that took some doing just to get a few inches off the ground. 

it'll definitely be a two-person lift to get it into truck to deliver to body shop for painting.... and again to unload and get it back into place in theater.  luckily it already has it's home picked out and will never be moved again....

then, i'll build a second.    #symmetry.

• Like 1

@babadono  i have a condition where i overbuild everything.  my fence -  6x6 posts 5 foot deep, with a 2x6 picture framed panel and 5/4x6's as the main field.  it's ridiculous, but looks incredible.  all black too.  looks swanky.

my chicken coop - it's a palace...

garage has wainscoting,  16   150W LED can lights... looks like a showroom !  (which is what i wanted) 

- i just figure,  if i'm going to do it.... lets do it!   i think it may have been caused by the Tim the Tool Man Taylor.   like his  V8 blender... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MercedesBerater said:

@babadono  i have a condition where i overbuild everything.  my fence -  6x6 posts 5 foot deep, with a 2x6 picture framed panel and 5/4x6's as the main field.  it's ridiculous, but looks incredible.  all black too.  looks swanky.

my chicken coop - it's a palace...

garage has wainscoting,  16   150W LED can lights... looks like a showroom !  (which is what i wanted) 

- i just figure,  if i'm going to do it.... lets do it!   i think it may have been caused by the Tim the Tool Man Taylor.   like his  V8 blender... 

Ahhh, a kindred spirit.

• Like 1

I really think there are a lot of common threads in this community.

photography.  (I personally shoot Nikon with a 600mm lens for birds and wildlife)

"over-kill is just enough" mentality  (see above)

cooking.  (love to collect kitchen equipment.  love my Wustof blackwood handles, and All-Clad copper core.)

cars.  (I work for Mercedes..... Das Beste oder Nichts.)  

and audio/video.  (obviously) 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, MercedesBerater said:

does anyone know the effect of polyfill?  i read somewhere that in large(r) enclosures it isn't as effective as small(er) enclosures and is kind of like a 25% increase in box volume. 

does this seem like a fair guess on what some polyfill will do?

then the question is... how much? 

The rule of thumb is open cell foam for ported, polyfil for sealed.  Use one pound of polyfil for each Cuft of box.  A 3 cuft box will use 3 pounds of polyfil.

I've used polyfil in the bottom of my ported CF-4, OEM two 3/4" sheets of foam on top.  The result was a lower pitch, tighter bass at the expense of some efficiency.  Well worth the tradeoff for my slightly nasal sounding CF-4's.

+++

I presume you know Walmart has polyfil?  You can get it in ten pound boxes or enclosed in a pillow if you choose.