Heresy, angled up or not?

wuzzzer

Currently I have my Heresy LCR angled up slightly.  I'm using rubber doorstops for the mains and a small rubber square for the center.  I recently read that any open space under a speaker isn't a good thing.  Obviously Klipsch has had risers with open cavities for years, especially for Heresys.

Anyone have a preference?  

52 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

If they are on the floor and close to MLP , then yes tilting back is good, if your MLP is far away, flat should be ok
But you should just try different ways and hear what sounds best to your ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sit about 10 feet from the L/R and about 8 feet from the center.  The center also sits inside my TV stand about four inches from the floor.

My Heresies sit on three bricks each to raise them a bit (but still level) as i sit on the floor and listen. When i lean back on some cushions i have tweets and squawks at ear-level. I´m content with the sound.

My RF3s sit next the Hs, on rubberfeet, flat on the ground, good listening too, although the tweeters are above my ears.

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

I sit about 10 feet from the L/R and about 8 feet from the center.  The center also sits inside my TV stand about four inches from the floor.

my Heresy speakers are much Higher off the ground  , and the sound is sublime,   I would place them on  stands , or even subs or cabinets at least 2 feet high ,   and you'll be very  impressed , they shine at ear level @carlthess40  is 100%  right on that one , the higher the better  , here 's Carl's setup  on stands

39f9ab892e9bad11042f53110fe1bf46.jpg

• Like 1

The cabinet will start to lose boundary gain (bass) when you elevate them. So not everyone agrees with the above recommendation. If you are worried about the beaminess of the tweeter, then modest stands with a tilt toward the listener should help.

Is there furniture or a coffee table in the sound path or something?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

my Heresy speakers are much Higher off the ground  , and the sound is sublime,   I would place them on  stands , or even subs or cabinets at least 2 feet high ,   and you'll be very  impressed , they shine at ear level @carlthess40  is 100%  right on that one , the higher the better  , here 's Carl's setup  on stands

I have a nice pair of stands but my RS-7 surrounds are on them.  Plus, they'd be significantly higher off the floor than my Heresy center. 

Well... I’m in the camp (maybe alone in the forest) of custom made 4 post stands in which you place your subs. Measure your ear height at MLP, subtract height of Heresy to mid point of midrange horn, and that’s the height of the stands you build. You get mid range aligned with you ear, and waf because your subs (always two sealed, front ported) in the bottom of the stand. Put 1 inch solid foam, carpet remnant or sample in bottom of stand and anti-vibration feet on your sub. Bingo... great low end, even with super Heresy and mid range at ear level and waf. Total win. 

my Heresy speakers are much Higher off the ground  , and the sound is sublime,   I would place them on  stands , or even subs or cabinets at least 2 feet high ,   and you'll be very  impressed , they shine at ear level [mention=35591]carlthess40[/mention]  is 100%  right on that one , the higher the better  , here 's Carl's setup  on stands

I was zipping pass the post and had to take a double look when I seen one of my systems on here. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Well, I tried the Heresys flat on the floor and they don't really sound better or worse that I can tell.  I would imagine if I tried listening to them full range and not with my subwoofers there may be a slight difference. 

So, I'm just going to leave them this way for now.

I do have a pair of unused night stands that are the same height as the stands I'm using for my surrounds.  Maybe I'll swap the nightstands for the speaker stands and see how my mains sound on the speaker stands.  I believe the stands are about 28" tall.

My front mains are now on stands.  They really came alive being at ear level.  I'm watching Top Gun on Blu-ray right now and the sound is much more enveloping.  I also angled my center up a little more and it really helped in making the sound from it appear to come from the TV.

• Like 3