Anyone here know anyting about the Hammond B-3 and Leslie speaker?

Allan Songer

My wife wants one. She plays piano and various reed instruments and has been FASCINATED by the B-3 and Leslie for many years--I guess I dragged her to way too many B-3 blowouts! I too have always loved the B-3 and the possibility of faving one in the house is pretty mouth-watering.

What do I look for? How much should I pay?

Etc.

(notice-- nothing here about Eico or Scott or Moondogs or Klipsch)

I dunno, but I think they are cool too.

I think the B-3 is the largest of them all.

The Leslie is quite interesting it's self, and contributes a lot to the "Hammond" sound.

I was on a website about these, wish I remembered where!

Search around, there is information about the B-3.

Search for ones on sale.

The Grateful Dead's Brent Mydland used a Hammond and Leslie setup at their live shows in the '80's. Might have been the B-3, but I'm not sure. And yes, that is the Leslie, whose spinning is only outdone by the folks in the aisle!

That sound is soooooo addicting. It added such a soulful feel to the performances. It's a big part of my addiction to Grateful Dead music, and one of my all time favorite sounding keyboard setups. When Brent passed on, the sound really became lacking, in large part due to the absence of the Hammond/Leslie on stage.

Keith Emerson was the other reason for my love of keyboards as well. Not a coincidence.

if you cannot find the original leslie speaker there are some simulators out there that sound pretty good...come to think if it there is even a hammond eletronic keyboard that simulates the B3, leslie and all, that you plug into a regular keyboard amp...tony

In the past year I have passed up two Baldwin Cinema II organs with Leslie speakers. The last I could have bought for $50 (don't beat me up: at the time I had two organs at my house already)...currently at ye olde thrift shop, I can pick up a Baldwin Cinema II (w/o the Leslie) for $100. Anyone interested? BTW, this baby is HUGE and HEAVY.

fini

P.S. I'm still wearing a truss from the last "organ blowout" I attended...

I agree with todays digital keyboards...You get awefully close.... Ad the "spinning speaker" and you do get the feel live too of the origional without the HUGE bulk of wood and problems of dealing with out of date equipment.

As a singer myself, give me someone really good on the keys like early Mellencamp or Tom Petty's players... Wow, that is a great sound to sing with onstage.

BTW, people have for years tried to properly place the mic for live music. The challenge is the turning tube shaped horn...the handle on the side is a great place to (slide in) and place a mic and when it whirls round and round. Trust me on this one...It just sounds great placed here!

Indy,

It almost sounds like a medical procedure you're describing there...

As far as mics go, you really can't beat those old U47's (if you believe guys like Sinatra, Cole and Riddle). You seen how much those babies go for?

fini

This goes way back to the roadie days 20+ years ago.

There may have been an M3 model as well.

An organ that older rockers still value 30 years into their touring carreers.

When I saw CSNY live last winter they toured with Booker T. Jones of Booker T. and the MGs playing the B3.

Booker T. and the MGs were the house studio band of Stax Volt records as I remember.

That Stax boxed set has some great R&B; I have not found it discounted enough to buy it yet.

For the young pups in the forum the CD of "Green Onions and other hits" by Booker T. and the MGs is a good addition to ones musical library to understand how rock and pop were developing in the mid 60s time frame.

History snipet from the twlight zone.

Audio Flynn,

I've got another 10 years on you. I love the sound of those Hammonds. I used to play drums in a local band doing casuals. Our keyboard player had a Hammond Port-a-B. That was heavy enough as was his Leslie (small - not the big wooden cabinet). I couldn't imagine lugging around the B-3.

Tripping back in time. I bought the STAX box set when it first came out. It was worth every penny. It also has a very good booklet with it.

Some other Hammond players to check out from way back when are Lee Michaels. He got a lot of radio play with "Do You Know What I Mean" from around '71. I think there is a CD collection of his songs on Rhino Records.

From the late '60s you have Mark Stein with Vanilla Fudge on "You Keep Me Hanging On" - R&B psychedelic style. One of my favorite Hammond players is Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals. They did a killer version of "In The Midnight Hour". Great organ run down in it. Gee, these guys kept covering the old soul songs - wonder why?

Anyway, I just wanted to toss out a few more songs with the Hammond on it for folks to check out. When I was out demoing speakers I always took along someting with a B-3 on it. Well, gotta go. My wife is getting ready to go shopping - now I can crank up my RB5s to a proper listening level.

Sorry I'm late to post a reply. Are you still looking?

I know of one in California that might be for sale, I'll have to check with the owner. I wasn't expecting anyone here to ask about Hammonds or Leslies. If I played I'd have one too. I love the sound, whether at home or on stage they're a kick!

Give me a day or two and I'll post again with a picture.2.gif

There are some B-3's on ebay with Leslies Click Here

Also as lonepalm said you can pick up a C-3 which is essentially the same for about a grand less.Another item one of my keyboard friends uses is electronic. It has 4 great basic sounds Hammond B-3,Fender Rhodes,Wurlitzer and Clavinet.

It's a Clavia Nord Electro 73. Weighs about 21 pounds and sell around $1,800.Very popular with people who know the B-3 but want something small.