Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

I was not raised by boomers, but I was raised by a helicopter pilot (army, went to viet nam 3 times).  As an OgenX, I am not fond in general of the boomers, nor their parents, the so-called greatest generation.  As for ruining the planet, mankind has been doing that since the beginning.  

1 minute ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It's the parents who ruined their kids by protecting them too much (hovering). Protected them from any pain or disappointments and everyone gets a prize.  

Oh!  In other words, the parents of the boomers, and then the boomers as parents.

6 minutes ago, rplace said:

Helicopter-parented types. The result of helicopter parents. sorry I figured you didn't need it spelled out - as you are so smart.

Maybe since I did not do that with my child I am out of the loop.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

As an OgenX

We have been through this before. You don't get to skirt that with the fake-generation moniker of your choosing, it is like the scarlet letter YOU are a Boomer. 😁 You are not sucking me back into that debate.

2 minutes ago, rplace said:

We have been through this before. You don't get to skirt that with the fake-generation moniker of your choosing, it is like the scarlet letter YOU are a Boomer. 😁 You are not sucking me back into that debate.

I'm calling bullshit.  There is nothing fake about it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

So according to the link, helicopter parenting is not limited to any generational group.

But it was never a "thing" until the Boomers did it to their demon spawn. I'm done with all of you prior or after me. Just going to retreat to my 90s mundane music.

Just now, rplace said:

But it was never a "thing" until the Boomers did it to their demon spawn. I'm done with all of you prior or after me. Just going to retreat to my 90s mundane music.

Agreed.  But I had nothing to do with it.  OgenX is a category.  And I'll just retreat into bebop, prog, and punk, and the romantic period, and classical period, and anything else I damn well like.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

And I'll just retreat into bebop, prog, and punk,

I don't know. Pretty sure I get to lay claim to all music between late 70s Punk and the Flannel yawn. Even if it does include Disco...gotta take the good with the bad. I solidly own the Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc. You can have prog though as I'm pretty sure that is a @dirtmudd thing. Let's see if we can aggravate him. Problem is I think him and I are almost exactly the same age.

4 hours ago, Iteachstem said:
13 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

. You're not keeping educators from moving where you are for better pay than what they're getting, or other places that pays better than where you are.

Unfortunately, this cannot be further from the truth.  Educators are discriminated against for having education and experience.  Most districts now will only offer you up to 5 years of experience.  So, if you want to change districts, and have more than 5 years experience, you will take a pay cut, and potentially a huge one.  It's very bad for people who want to move out of a state or have to move due to their significant other's job relocation.

How is it not so? You are not keeping others from bettering themselves. If you or others move to an area that pays less, then that was a choice and not something forced on you. 

if I moved further away from the city or to another state, the differences could be even more dramatic.)

You might not need to move farther away, but you might further your education and get into a different industry. 

When I was a lot younger, I was experienced and trained in the automobile industry. I did not want to be repairing cars for a living when I got old and only did that to get some knowledge about how to fix them. When I got tired of hitting my head on the glass ceiling, I left the working world and put myself through some more college and changed directions. It wasn't easy and I lived on the thrift. I was a single parent of three kids, no child support and I plowed through most of my savings in the time. I taught my kids that no one is holding them back and no one is going to give them anything. They are doing a lot better than I did at the same age. 

12 minutes ago, rplace said:

I don't know. Pretty sure I get to lay claim to all music between late 70s Punk and the Flannel yawn. Even if it does include Disco...gotta take the good with the bad. I solidly own the Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc. You can have prog though as I'm pretty sure that is a @dirtmudd thing. Let's see if we can aggravate him. Problem is I think him and I are almost exactly the same age.

LOL.  I introduced my son to the Pistols.  He was fond of saying about prog, "now I see why punk came along."

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

LOL.  I introduced my son to the Pistols.  He was fond of saying about prog, "now I see why punk came along."

Yea, I remember slam dancing in the pit at numerous Ramones shows and seeing old guys there....you musta been one.😜🥰

I 100% agree.  Some of my most logical friends are one's that have a natural curiosity and take time to figure things out and seek answers and solutions.  That's why I teach STEAM classes, it does help in problem solving and preparing people for real world situations.  Unlike memorizing or knowing how to solve multiplicative inverses in mathematics.... of course unless your one of a tiny minority that might need this skill for your career!

Please say that you don't teach English. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Please say that you don't teach English. 

No, but I'm usually very well spoken, I'm just trying to raise a 2 and 4 year old and reply on this forum, so forgive me if I don't check for accuracy.

Grammar, the difference between knowing you're sh#t and knowing your sh#t.

• Like 1