Gas Prices and Inflation (Split Thread)

Bubo

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

A very long history between UT and USN, not just their Naval Science program, but also with the engineering school's Acoustic's Program. 

Some great engineers and Naval grads come out of there. Congratulations to your son! Excellent work.

Thank you and Happy Fathers Day !

On 6/18/2021 at 8:24 PM, dwilawyer said:
On 6/17/2021 at 7:29 PM, Iteachstem said:

I'm selling a lot of my audio gear to finance the price increases of child supplies I buy at Costco...

2 examples:

Huggies Diapers are now $49.99 up from $43.99 = 13.6% increase

Desitin is now $19.99 up from $16.99 = 17.7% increase

Do you think I'll get a comparable raise being a teacher? hahaha, I wish!

You are in a.collective bargaining state, so you should get one at next contract at least. If you are in one of those uber rich districts it won't it will be less of a dent.

Teachers, especially STEM and English teachers should be among the highest paid public employees in my opinion.

Yes, we are in the last year of our contract, so the union will be negotiating a new contract this year.  However, our district has never negotiated a decent contract for the 16 years since I have been teaching for them. (Or for the 21 years total in education!)  It's usually 1-3% raises... so, we usually break even or lose a little due to inflation.

Plus, this fact people seem to ignore: "Teachers are paid 19.2% less than similarly educated and experienced professionals." - Economic Institute Policy  People say that we get 2 months off in the summer so we should just be happy...Except what most people who blurt out uneducated statements like that don't realize that teachers have to take classes to renew their teaching certificates every 3-5 years.  So, you either take night classes or classes during the summer.... and pay for them out of our own pockets to the tune of $1,500-$2,000 on average. We all know college courses aren't getting any less expensive!

Also, I am unfortunately in the lowest paid district around now.... due to our awful raises over the last 16 years.  It wasn't that way when I started, otherwise I wouldn't have accepted the job.  Here is our first year pay scale compared to the surrounding districts:

image.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Iteachstem said:

image.png

If that is the first year teacher's pay, it looks like it levels out.

How much does a Public School Teacher make in Naperville, IL? The average Public School Teacher salary in Naperville, IL is $61,729 as of May 27, 2021, but the range typically falls between $53,891 and $71,264. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

How much does a Public School Teacher make in Plainfield, IL? The average Public School Teacher salary in Plainfield, IL is $61,739 as of May 27, 2021, but the range typically falls between $53,900 and $71,276. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:24 PM, dwilawyer said:

Teachers, especially STEM and English teachers should be among the highest paid public employees in my opinion.

Totally agree, but the larger pay gap is in the colleges. A football coach gets a little bit more than a math professor, maybe only a little over 6 million dollars more per year. The number of "students' each has is inversely proportional, similar to their salaries. One will turn out large numbers of people of who go on to Engineering and such, while the others make it in the NFL.   

5 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

If that is the first year teacher's pay, it looks like it levels out.

How much does a Public School Teacher make in Naperville, IL? The average Public School Teacher salary in Naperville, IL is $61,729 as of May 27, 2021, but the range typically falls between $53,891 and $71,264. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

How much does a Public School Teacher make in Plainfield, IL? The average Public School Teacher salary in Plainfield, IL is $61,739 as of May 27, 2021, but the range typically falls between $53,900 and $71,276. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

Nope, not even close.  That data is laughable! Another example of the internet showing data that is skewed!  My data from these graphs is taken directly from the union contracts, which by law, are posted online.

I've included the typical progression over a teaching career.  You've seen the first year data.  I also included 10 years experience with a master's degree and then 20 years experience with a master's degree plus 30 hours (of college courses)

Also, to get to the "20 years with a masters plus 30" level on the pay-scale costs the teacher at least $25,000-$30,000 of college courses... not to mention any additional courses they take for certification.  A lot of districts don't reimburse portions of continuing education like they used to.  For example, our district used to pay $75 per credit hour many years back as an incentive to further your education and offset some of the expenses related to renewing your teaching certificate every time. So if you took a college graduate course that costs $500 per credit, and it's 3 credits, you would end up paying $1,275 instead of $1,500.

Ha, don't even get me started on the whole sports thing!  I actually presented in front of the board of education on that topic... I suggested we gradually  raise the $50 athletic fee to the actual amount it costs to run the sport. (about $100-$200 depending on the sport) That way the district sports programs would pay for themselves and the district would stop spending over $700,000 a year out of taxpayer money at the middle school level alone just to have sports!  In my opinion, if people are paying a huge chunk of their yearly taxes towards school districts, it should go towards the cost of educating all children, not for a minority of those children to play sports.

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Nope, not even close.  That data is laughable! Another example of the internet showing data that is skewed! 

I agree. It's just like reading charts and information on forums.

My data from these graphs is taken directly from the union contracts, which by law, are posted online.

Did you not mine your data using the internet?  I am not here to debate that subject, I was only pointing out what most of the information is saying. Per the contract, it looks like the pay in the contract is predicated a lot on years of education. 

https://www.psd202.org/page/salary_contract

Most places of employment have different pay scales to, hopefully, attract better employees, and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that. There will be many school districts that pays more and less that where you are. You're not keeping educators from moving where you are for better pay than what they're getting, or other places that pays better than where you are.

Once, I worked for my Dad who was the plant Engineer. I was not happy about something and looked to him for some help. He said: "If you're not happy, change what you can, put up with what you can't change, or leave and get a different job." Not the answer I wanted, but since then, I have lived by that advice.

59 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Once, I worked for my Dad who was the plant Engineer. I was not happy about something and looked to him for some help. He said: "If you're not happy, change what you can, put up with what you can't change, or leave and get a different job." Not the answer I wanted, but since then, I have lived by that advice.

A principle often overlooked these days when so much is expected as a given. You are like everything else in a free market " what someone else is willing to pay." Like a used car when people are trying to sell it say "the book says my car is worth so and so." The response is always books do not write a check. The car or any other product is worth only what someone is willing to pay. 

I would have liked your Dad. Great post for Fathers day. 

• Like 1

I'm beginning to believe it's intentional that education is  declining. The smartest people I know are not like that from any class they've taken. They educated themselves by using and understanding the information available to them.............in a public library. Now days online to an extent. Which enabled them to understand the information dispensed in that class.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

. You're not keeping educators from moving where you are for better pay than what they're getting, or other places that pays better than where you are.

Unfortunately, this cannot be further from the truth.  Educators are discriminated against for having education and experience.  Most districts now will only offer you up to 5 years of experience.  So, if you want to change districts, and have more than 5 years experience, you will take a pay cut, and potentially a huge one.  It's very bad for people who want to move out of a state or have to move due to their significant other's job relocation.

For example, If I have 20 years and a masters + I will earn around $75,000 in my district.  Now, if I wanted to move to another district, even though it's a higher paying district, I will start at year 5.... which translated anywhere from a $10,000 to $17,000 pay cut.( this is just looking at the surrounding districts..... if I moved further away from the city or to another state, the differences could be even more dramatic.)

It's not like my friends in the corporate world, where one transitioned from an engineer at Mobil to BP and actually enjoyed a pay raise as well as moving expense, etc.

I'm not trying to cry poor me, as this is the profession for which I chose to remain employed. However, I hope I can educate some people as to what teachers experience throughout their employment in the wonderful world of education!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Did you not mine your data using the internet?

Yes, but these are factual documents that the districts have to legally post. You can look up the information and verify it. The documents actually match what we are  getting paid! (Not just a curve stating averages...that are wrong) However, I also have a print out of my own contract in hand...which funny enough, matches exactly the document my district posts online.

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

I'm beginning to believe it's intentional that education is  declining. The smartest people I know are not like that from any class they've taken. They educated themselves by using and understanding the information available to them.............in a public library. Now days online to an extent. Which enabled them to understand the information dispensed in that class.

I 100% agree.  Some of my most logical friends are one's that have a natural curiosity and take time to figure things out and seek answers and solutions.  That's why I teach STEAM classes, it does help in problem solving and preparing people for real world situations.  Unlike memorizing or knowing how to solve multiplicative inverses in mathematics.... of course unless your one of a tiny minority that might need this skill for your career!

3 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Unfortunately, this cannot be further from the truth.  Educators are discriminated against for having education and experience.  Most districts now will only offer you up to 5 years of experience.  So, if you want to change districts, and have more than 5 years experience, you will take a pay cut, and potentially a huge one.  It's very bad for people who want to move out of a state or have to move due to their significant other's job relocation.

For example, If I have 20 years and a masters + I will earn around $75,000 in my district.  Now, if I wanted to move to another district, even though it's a higher paying district, I will start at year 5.... which translated anywhere from a $10,000 to $17,000 pay cut.( this is just looking at the surrounding districts..... if I moved further away from the city or to another state, the differences could be even more dramatic.)

It's not like my friends in the corporate world, where one transitioned from an engineer at Mobil to BP and actually enjoyed a pay raise as well as moving expense, etc.

I'm not trying to cry poor me, as this is the profession for which I chose to remain employed. However, I hope I can educate some people as to what teachers experience throughout their employment in the wonderful world of education!

This is so true.  My wife is a retired special ed teacher who worked in one of the lowest paying districts in the county.  She was stuck as a move to a higher paying district would have resulted in a pay cut.  The district prefers to hire a new, inexperienced, person to paying a seasoned professional what they are worth.  

Maynard

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The district prefers to hire a new, inexperienced, person to paying a seasoned professional what they are worth.

This is true across much of the employment spectrum.  It's part of the race to the bottom.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

This is true across much of the employment spectrum.  It's part of the race to the bottom.  

Or maybe just time for the Boomers (aka dinosaurs) to move on. You already ruined the planet, lets roll the dice with the helicopter generation teaching the snowflakes...how could that possibly go wrong?😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Who are the helicopters?

Helicopter-parented types. The result of helicopter parents. sorry I figured you didn't need it spelled out - as you are so smart.