Heresy I Slow Motion Mods

pcbiz

I call these 'slow motion mods' because I put the speakers back together after each mod for an audio inspection. For a fact, each mod made a sonic improvement to my liking. They're running with a Musical Paradise MP-301MK3 and KT-150 power tubes.

I was very inspired by the Heresy III and Forte III, and wondered what I could do to get a little more of the new Klipsch sonic flavor, so here it is.

1. Swapped K77 Alnico tweeters for Dave A's  SMAHL V2™ Drop In Replacements with B&C DE120 - sold the K77s
  2. Covered mid horn with Kilmat insulation, which is a much better deal than Dyna Mat - Better bass, better dispersion in the highs, richer mids
  3. Swapped caps for the Type E crossover with Sonic Caps from Crites - very nice
  4. Swapped Type E crossover for ALK Universal Crossover - Much much nicer. The speakers just came to life.
  5. Swapped wiring out for 10 gauge twisted copper - Everyone should do this. You get a nice little boost in presence, volume, tone and balance. The electrons are just happier.

Here are photo links from my Google drive. They are huge. If you have a better way to upload them, that would be appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PtKyKWUfofVBxGC0zn95xLnyPrW8zSsW/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i8li5PhbLl86gGmqnC4XEp0_HHPd_YJc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v9zjKeHoH0rxsetg_TKeeTke5O2LA6vy/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wV2YoFpXdyUPIvmojpl48BXykJL-7lzi/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4yWbXu9A9wtRs7D-_7jEn0pZ8BIqsAR/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zcdP0b_XFgElpJUUvVVm5fffBJ0fhy68/view?usp=sharing

Photo Resizer 2021_07_09_02_05_16.jpg

Edited by pcbiz
  • Like 3

• pcbiz changed the title to Heresy I Slow Motion Mods
  • 3 weeks later...

Been walking down this economical upgrade route with my Heresy 1.5:

Add 3/4" plywood back panel glued to existing 5/8" inset panel.

Secure with more than the 8 wood screws used.  I used 36   #8 x 1 1/4" wood screws.

Gasket material on back 5/8" inset panel.  I used duct tape on both surfaces.

Add rubber tipped 3/4" wooden dowels, one vertical, two horizontal, to further stiffen, dampen cabinet.

Upgrade the original 18 ga stranded wiring.  My wiring choice is of course different.

Dynamat the midrange horn.

Add 4 missing woofer screws.

Add spikes (I used wood screws again).

Cut out grille for the horns.

I believe the additional plywood on the back (I actually used two 3/4" plys because I had the extra wood left over) made the biggest difference, tamed the mid bass / midrange boxiness greatly.  Totally different speaker.  Also any wire will be better than the stock 18 ga stranded.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:29 AM, Racer X said:

Been walking down this economical upgrade route with my Heresy 1.5:

Add 3/4" plywood back panel glued to existing 5/8" inset panel.

Secure with more than the 8 wood screws used.  I used 36   #8 x 1 1/4" wood screws.

Gasket material on back 5/8" inset panel.  I used duct tape on both surfaces.

Add rubber tipped 3/4" wooden dowels, one vertical, two horizontal, to further stiffen, dampen cabinet.

Upgrade the original 18 ga stranded wiring.  My wiring choice is of course different.

Dynamat the midrange horn.

Add 4 missing woofer screws.

Add spikes (I used wood screws again).

Cut out grille for the horns.

I believe the additional plywood on the back (I actually used two 3/4" plys because I had the extra wood left over) made the biggest difference, tamed the mid bass / midrange boxiness greatly.  Totally different speaker.  Also any wire will be better than the stock 18 ga stranded.

Do you have   cool pictures of these improvements   ,we're drooling here image.jpeg.8a9528588a527e8e0a41787b78c7a619.jpeg

I

Grille cutout inspired by LaScala look.  Best of both worlds, grille on and off.  Razor blade the grille and fold flaps back, use contact cement to glue to back side of grille.

I was inspired to add additional 3/4" round dowels (not shown, screws...) to stiffen the cabinet.  I used rubber to simplify the interference fit and installation and dampen.  Another poster on this forum suggested adding rear panel and I ran with that.  Used duct tape to try to level the inset 5/8" panel to the edge.  Sanded the edge smooth of any lacquer imperfections.  

Please check OP picture of interior wiring:  the inset back panel is not really a structural contributor to enclosure stiffness, especially considering dearth of screws.  So the original cabinet is essentially backless.

Once again, this simple addition of a piece of plywood and a bunch of screws will totally transform the sound of the Heresy.

5 minutes ago, karlson3 said:

great mods  - has anyone tried "aperiodic" venting of H1 to hear if that can have a positive effect?  A substitute back and REW/LIMP would allow one to flatten

the Z peak as much as possible.

Thinking you are talking about other than a port.

Interesting?

Thanks!

yeah - drilling an array of small^ diameter holes ( * hole diameter less than panel thickness) and damping those holes on the inside of the new back panel with foam until  the normal sealed box impedance peak is "flattened"  (technique goes at least back to Ted Jordan and later such damped vents were sold as "Variovent" - Dynaco used it with their SEAS driver A25, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

Update: I splurged for the $8 replacement washers for the K-55-V diaphragm in my Heresy I pair, and this tiny upgrade gave me more details and presence in the mids. Very much worth it.

46 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

Update: I splurged for the $8 replacement washers for the K-55-V diaphragm in my Heresy I pair, and this tiny upgrade gave me more details and presence in the mids. Very much worth it.

You should finish off with my Super Heresy Mod (Woofer and Port Mod). Then you be talkin BASS.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You should finish off with my Super Heresy Mod (Woofer and Port Mod). Then you be talkin BASS.

I finally got some big ol' Chorus II speakers. I did install the Crites Chorus II crossovers, but as of right now, my Chorus pair is nowhere near as refined as my modded Heresy I pair. I really wish I could get another ALK crossover for my Chorus II, but Al isn't interested in supporting them. 

5 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

I finally got some big ol' Chorus II speakers. I did install the Crites Chorus II crossovers, but as of right now, my Chorus pair is nowhere near as refined as my modded Heresy I pair. I really wish I could get another ALK crossover for my Chorus II, but Al isn't interested in supporting them. 

Super heresy it is then 

On 8/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Super heresy it is then 

I'll probably replicate my Heresy mod success into a vintage La Scala pair, as soon as I can find a pair in my area. That has been my goal. This journey sure has been educational.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...