When did you last here a distinct difference between amps?

chn68b

I’ve been putting more hours on the Technics (through the Forte III’s) and it just keeps impressing me with its qualities- which are a bit hard to describe. 

It has what appears to be an endless well of power. As the volume goes up there is no apparent stress to the way the music sounds.  In my experience with other amplifiers as you turn it up there comes a point where your ear/brain says “whoa, that’s enough”. Whether that’s because the sound seems more strained or you feel the speakers have reached some power limit you’re afraid of crossing. Not with this amplifier, that feeling of “that’s enough” hasn’t yet crept up. It just stays clean and full size.  You just wanna keep turning it up up up. 

Now I’m sure the fact that the Klipsch being so efficient plays into this, but that just makes it a great combo as well. 

The other thing I’m loving is the bass/mid/treble control. It all apparently happens in the digital domain.  I have a bit of a bass suck out where my listening spot is and having a bass control has allowed me to fill in the bass and reduce my need on the REL subwoofer for better integration. Listening to drum solos is amazing - you really FEEL it. 

The highs are great as well, never harsh. Not as extended like on my Thiel speakers, but those speakers are just better with regards to soundstage and three dimensionality. That being said the overall sound of the Klipsch is large and clear. Pinpointing instruments or singers is easy. 

But if I had to describe the amp in one word it would be EFFORTLESS. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Interesting, but I fail to see how those GaN field effect transistors would be used in a class D amplifier. 

Do you know how to do an internet search? It's real easy and can eliminate a lot of guess work and silly posts.

A lot of audio companies have been using it for some time.

http://www.atma-sphere.com/en/classD.html

https://gansystems.com/newsroom/extending-lead-in-class-d-audio/

https://futureaudiophile.com/what-the-hell-is-a-gan-gallium-nitride-amp-and-why-is-it-changing-the-way-audiophiles-now-see-power-amps/

18 minutes ago, 83 LSIs said:

Do you know how to do an internet search? It's real easy and can eliminate a lot of guess work and silly posts.

A lot of audio companies have been using it for some time.

http://www.atma-sphere.com/en/classD.html

https://gansystems.com/newsroom/extending-lead-in-class-d-audio/

https://futureaudiophile.com/what-the-hell-is-a-gan-gallium-nitride-amp-and-why-is-it-changing-the-way-audiophiles-now-see-power-amps/

OK, learn something new every day. I did not do a lot of searching because it really did not interest me that much. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 83 LSIs said:

Obviously enough to make a coupe of posts about it. 😁 (meant in a good natured way)

It has obviously become a contest on who is right for you. You win, GaN transistors are used in some class D circuits. I just posted my experience with class D which was a few years ago. I have not keep up with class D amplification circuits in the last 5 years. No need in being nasty. God bless. 

48 minutes ago, Last Lemming said:

I’ve been putting more hours on the Technics (through the Forte III’s) and it just keeps impressing me with its qualities- which are a bit hard to describe. 

It has what appears to be an endless well of power. As the volume goes up there is no apparent stress to the way the music sounds.  In my experience with other amplifiers as you turn it up there comes a point where your ear/brain says “whoa, that’s enough”. Whether that’s because the sound seems more strained or you feel the speakers have reached some power limit you’re afraid of crossing. Not with this amplifier, that feeling of “that’s enough” hasn’t yet crept up. It just stays clean and full size.  You just wanna keep turning it up up up. 

Now I’m sure the fact that the Klipsch being so efficient plays into this, but that just makes it a great combo as well. 

The other thing I’m loving is the bass/mid/treble control. It all apparently happens in the digital domain.  I have a bit of a bass suck out where my listening spot is and having a bass control has allowed me to fill in the bass and reduce my need on the REL subwoofer for better integration. Listening to drum solos is amazing - you really FEEL it. 

The highs are great as well, never harsh. Not as extended like on my Thiel speakers, but those speakers are just better with regards to soundstage and three dimensionality. That being said the overall sound of the Klipsch is large and clear. Pinpointing instruments or singers is easy. 

But if I had to describe the amp in one word it would be EFFORTLESS. 

By the sound of it, likely to light up all Klipsch speakers. Thanks for the mini-review.

• Like 1

I’m not sure it’s wise to paint such broad strokes with any type of technology. In my experience there is a time and place for most all technologies. That being said, it might be true that most class d amps you’ve heard don’t mesh with what you (and certainly others) consider “good” or “excellent” sound, but I doubt ALL fall in that category. 

What I do know is that I’ve been in this hobby for over 35 years, I’ve owned may different components in the high end including SS, Tube, hybrid, and class d, and heard many others. I’ve mixed and matched these components as well and have always found a good sound. Now I’m not impervious to seeking a better and better sound like any other audiophile, but I do know this Technics is something different, and all positives from what I can tell. 

I don’t really chase specs, but rather SQ, so I’m agnostic with regards to technology. I’d ask for you to hear it first before making assumptions about its SQ. 

I am running CW1 on 3 different amp setups and they each have very distinct sounds: granted, one is a GLOW Audio 15 watt tube amp and as expected it sounds warm and "tubey". The other 2 are a 75 watt Parasound HCA 750A and an Integra ADM-2.1 making 100 watts. The Integra has a broad and deep sound stage w really punchy bass but the Parasound has a cleaner overall sound and tighter more controlled bass. All 3 sound great but there is no mistaking any of the 3.

I last noticed a difference between two amps this morning when I switched from my Melody 2A3 PP to my 300B SET. Asking what was better, nothing was better or worse; it's just a completely different sound. It's more about finding the right match with your speakers and sound preferences rather than determining if it sounds better. The 300B sounds fuller, enhances the mid-range more, and has a warmer tone. Since the CW4 tends to lean more towards the high end and has a smaller mid-range compared to my LaScala, I find the 300B to be a better match. With the LaScala, I prefer the Melody 2A3 PP.

• Like 1