Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

This showed up at my house today... It's a Dreadnought Jr. 15/16th size. They are all solid wood Martins made in Mexico. This is a spruce top and sapele back and sides. My guitar playing buddy/best friend from the '60s sent it to me.

20230619_191111~2.jpg

20230619_191134~2.jpg

20230619_191159~2.jpg

20230619_191210~2.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, KT88 said:

2000 regular D28 Martin
2006 Triple 000 Martin EC
2002 Baby Taylor (is always with me everywhere)

Just read through these posts again and saw this. My daughter had a Baby Taylor, which was a nice little guitar. I think it could have used some better tuners as was prone to goinng out of tune. She finally sold it and got a uke. She's having an easier time with 4 strings. And it is also easy to carry around.

Which brings me to my new MIM Martin D Jr, a 15/16  Martin D model. This is all solid wood, beautiful spruce top with sapele back and sides. My best friend with all the Martins sent it to me as a present 🤯

It sounds amazing, and sounds more full than a small guitar usually sounds. Anyway, here's to small guitars you  an leave out to pick uo and noodle whenever you pass by or take with you almost wherever you go.

20230619_201053~3.jpg

20230619_191159~2.jpg

20230619_194137.jpg

20230619_191111~2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Just read through these posts again and saw this. My daughter had a Baby Taylor, which was a nice little guitar. I think it could have used some better tuners as was prone to goinng out of tune. She finally sold it and got a uke. She's having an easier time with 4 strings. And it is also easy to carry around.

Which brings me to my new MIM Martin D Jr, a 15/16  Martin D model. This is all solid wood, beautiful spruce top with sapele back and sides. My best friend with all the Martins sent it to me as a present 🤯

It sounds amazing, and sounds more full than a small guitar usually sounds. Anyway, here's to small guitars you  an leave out to pick uo and noodle whenever you pass by or take with you almost wherever you go.

20230619_201053~3.jpg

20230619_191159~2.jpg

20230619_194137.jpg

20230619_191111~2.jpg

Marvel, what a nice little Martin you have got as a gift! Next time I am near a store I will try one just out of interest because for what I use the Baby Taylor its good to play. The Martin costs almost double in Germany, 350 - 400 vs 650 - 750 €. But never say never again😀

• Like 1

It's about the same size as a Taylor Big Baby (and piced about the same). The Martin has a 24 inch scale, shorter than the BB, which I've not listened too/played.

I can't stop playing the thing. Comes with Martin Retro strings which are monel (a copper-nickel alloy).

Any guitar is good if it gets you playing more... Cheers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

It's about the same size as a Taylor Big Baby (and piced about the same). The Martin has a 24 inch scale, shorter than the BB, which I've not listened too/played.

I can't stop playing the thing. Comes with Martin Retro strings which are monel (a copper-nickel alloy).

Any guitar is good if it gets you playing more... Cheers!

Absolutely. Not wanting to stop playing is the most important indicator for me if it is a good guitar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

A bit OT But I recently played a Takamine that was spectacular. 🙂

Not off topic at all. I think almost all acoustics have improved. Even Martins... they really were close to losing the business in the '70s. I'm glad the family persevered and came out better for it. Guild has been all over the map too (literally). I'm quite fond of Guilds, high quality and real sleepers on the used market.

And Takamine has some nice instruments.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

. Guild has been all over the map too (literally). I'm quite fond of Guilds, high quality

I have a Guild GG model

(George Gruhn)

I actually once spoke the the gentleman that made it. Kim

Walker ....Yep, one guy, no mass production

They were actually produced at GGs Shop, not the Rhode Island factory

xboieky9sbybzj7loq0x.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I have a Guild GG model

(George Gruhn)

xboieky9sbybzj7loq0x.jpg

Beautiful guitar my friend. Very, very nice!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 4:42 AM, the real Duke Spinner said:

I have a Guild GG model

(George Gruhn)

xboieky9sbybzj7loq0x.jpg

S-W-E-E-T

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 3:52 PM, Invidiosulus said:

I did something I should have done several years ago.

I filed the nut slots a little deeper on the DR-28s.

IMG_1108.thumb.jpeg.e209d9f1b58f38457b0a22c528d7fd90.jpeg

The playability is a lot better now and easier on the left hand.

I owned a German acoustic guitar with an adjustable neck that would move the strings closer.

JJK

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I owned a German acoustic guitar with an adjustable neck that would move the strings closer.

JJK

Most good acoustics have an adjustable neck, to change the relief or angle of the neck, for string height.

• Like 1