Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I've always liked the British amp sound. I bought this little Vox AC10 a few months ago. I pairs great with a new Epiphone LP Standard Gibson Customshop reissue 59. I can't believe the quality of these modern Epi guitars.

image2.jpeg

image0-4.jpeg

I gave an EPI LP birdseye top to s guy that was working for me I   t playedrf fantastic    Pups were kinds weak    But

I am s DiMarzio SD kinda guy 😀

13 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I gave an EPI LP birdseye top to s guy that was working for me I   t playedrf fantastic    Pups were kinds weak    But

I am s DiMarzio SD kinda guy 😀

Last year they started using all Gibson electronics in the Epi/Gibson Customshop re-issue models. It's much cheaper than replacing them later! They all come with a terrific hardshell case.

• Like 3

I just finished this building this guitar for my grandson. It is one of the Body Build kits from Stewart - MacDonald. Not quite as fancy as my D28 copy, but still a very nice guitar. He "helped" me with the build.

Will 1.JPG

Will 2.JPG

Will 3.JPG

Will 4.JPG

Will 5.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OO1 said:

it's stunning 

Thank you! Fortunately, the pictures aren't detailed enough to see the flaws, but it really did turn out well. Best of all, my grandson is happy with it. It sounds good and is comfortable to play. I just finished setting the action yesterday.

This is a mahogany body with a medium brown stain. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the color, but after the third application of stain, it really started to look good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CWelsh said:

This is a mahogany body with a medium brown stain. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the color, but after the third application of stain, it really started to look good.

It looks really nice.I've never had a space for a workshop, but always wanted to build my own guitar. My new Martin D Jr is Sapele, and they don't use a pore filler on the back and sides, which I am really liking.

• Like 1

This one followed me home. Mom, can we keep it? I'm a sucker for block necks over dots. Black binding does not hurt either.

This is a Mexican Fender. A few pages back I was wondering about American vs Mexican vs Squire (China). This completed the trio, with a USA Gibson thrown in somewhere in the mix. Actually two Squires if I'm being honest about the addiction. 

I sold the American Telecaster kept the rest. 🤷‍♂️ go figure.

1707fb3e6dc368743cc5bc2debca3bc38ed12588

726b9c866bfb776f3694775dcf5c2a5b11fab157

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CWelsh said:

I just finished this building this guitar for my grandson. It is one of the Body Build kits from Stewart - MacDonald. Not quite as fancy as my D28 copy, but still a very nice guitar. He "helped" me with the build.

Will 1.JPG

Will 2.JPG

Will 3.JPG

Will 4.JPG

Will 5.JPG

Very nice. I've been thinking about buying a Strat or Tele kit and assembling a guitar. I think I would try some kind of custom paint job. Many have spectacular reviews.

A lot of people have done this, these are by a member of the Letstalkguild forums (I own a '74 Guild F30r)

He says they sound like strats... I like Teles myself, but I don't own one.

GAD-D-Printed-Guitar-Pile.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, Ceptorman said:

Very nice. I've been thinking about buying a Strat or Tele kit and assembling a guitar. I think I would try some kind of custom paint job. Many have spectacular reviews.

Thanks! I have built both Strat and Tele kits and have had great success with both. By the time you buy good hardware and electronics, you're going to spend as much or more than you would on a really nice guitar from China, but there is something really satisfying about knowing you built it. Plus, it is a great learning experience.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 11:57 AM, Marvel said:

It looks really nice.I've never had a space for a workshop, but always wanted to build my own guitar. My new Martin D Jr is Sapele, and they don't use a pore filler on the back and sides, which I am really liking.

Electronic guitar kits don't require nearly as much working space as an acoustic, and you don't need to spend as much on special tools. The Body Build kits from StewMac are a less complicated acoustic, but you still need quite a few tools most people don't have. Then there is the finishing...

i used a pore filler on this one. It looked great at first, but I think I should have let it sit for another week before starting with the finish lacquer. I couldn't really see it while I was applying the lacquer, but as it cured I realized that the filler had shrunk and it wasn't completely smooth. Like you, I actually kind of like the look, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

• Like 2

So... here's the Kalamazoo. After doing more research, they were made from '34-'42. I think I paid $40 between $50 and $100  It had an ugly, ugly wrinkletex kind of paint, and a painted Kalamazoo logo.

I stripped it off and put some Grover mini tuners on it. You can see it doesn't have a Kalamazoo headstock, but a Gibson style.

When I started removing the paint, there was a sunburst finish and a painted Gibson script logo on the peghead. At that point, it all came off. Looking back, I wish I had at least taken some pics, but I didn't.

The style looks like a Gibson EH150. There was a small chip in the back, so I'm thinking is became a second, so they painted and relabled it.

EDIT: Forgot to add... it is/was a Kalamzoo Oriole. A lot of the regular Kalamzoo steels had painted fret markers. Mine has a light wood inlay for the markers. added a pic of a regular Oriole I found online so you can se what they looked like.

20230810_182355~2.jpg

20230810_182246~3.jpg

20230810_182506~2.jpg

20230810_182426~2.jpg

9777_01.jpg

• Like 4