Anyone know if the Chief has curved the new Celestion driver w/dispersion thingy to the Underground's bass bin?

Coytee

@Chief bonehead

Would it be the same curve as used on the New Jubilee? (my guess is no because the bass bins are different)  Maybe Roy knows the answers?

Can those dispersion thingy's for the throat be obtained for a certain amount of cash or blueberries?

There may be some Undergrounders who may not be able to find TAD's but want to swap drivers.  

It's not like  you've got anything else to do, huh?

:huh:

For the record, I've got three 4002's (one spare).  So I'm not asking for myself.  I really am just asking for those who might be thinking of swapping out their stock driver.

A few years ago I looked at the possibility of sourcing a pair of Unicorns... I mean, TADs and realized even  if I could find a pair with original diaphragms

that they would be much more than my bank manager would allow.

More recently I considered the BMS 4592ND, but they are not exactly cheap, especially if you factor in another 2 channels of amplification.

I have noticed at times PE has had the Axi2050 on sale ( I want to say at about $800 each), but these obviously would not have Roy's magic phase plug.

So, it would be super cool in the future if Klipsch could be offering the Celestion as an upgrade for current K-691 (K-69) users?

23 hours ago, HPower said:

A few years ago I looked at the possibility of sourcing a pair of Unicorns... I mean, TADs and realized even  if I could find a pair with original diaphragms

that they would be much more than my bank manager would allow.

More recently I considered the BMS 4592ND, but they are not exactly cheap, especially if you factor in another 2 channels of amplification.

I have noticed at times PE has had the Axi2050 on sale ( I want to say at about $800 each), but these obviously would not have Roy's magic phase plug.

So, it would be super cool in the future if Klipsch could be offering the Celestion as an upgrade for current K-691 (K-69) users?

The "phase" plugs are in the driver. Roy's little magic creation is to further disperse the High frequencies inside the horn (like a little horn within a big one). The dispersion lowers the output at (approximately) 8-20 Khz. on up by spreading it out, but can be easily compensated for with a PEQ.

It's not absolutely needed for those who own those plain old, regular, nasty vanilla K-402's, and, like me, can live just fine with narrower dispersion of the extreme highs.

I would not let that stop me from buying an Axi 2050 because it's more important to have the lower crossover point of that driver vs. a TAD, which I used to own.

In fact, selling TAD's on the used market would get the Celestion drivers AND still leave you with double the cash you paid for them to buy more music, or pay for a vacation!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The "phase" plugs are in the driver. Roy's little magic creation is to further disperse the High frequencies inside the horn (like a little horn within a big one). The dispersion lowers the output at (approximately) 8-20 Khz. on up by spreading it out, but can be easily compensated for with a PEQ.

It's not absolutely needed for those who own those plain old, regular, nasty vanilla K-402's, and, like me, can live just fine with narrower dispersion of the extreme highs.

I would not let that stop me from buying an Axi 2050 because it's more important to have the lower crossover point of that driver vs. a TAD, which I used to own.

In fact, selling TAD's on the used market would get the Celestion drivers AND still leave you with double the cash you paid for them to buy more music, or pay for a vacation!

I talked with an expert about this topic, he replied, because of the compression, the goal becomes to rebuild the wave with equal amplitude and phase. The extended plug does extends the phasing plug already in the compression driver and it is added the acoustic effect of redirecting the wave so that the coverage pattern is wider to the designed coveragepattern. This sounds very plausible to me, even if I would never have thought of it myself.

Incidentally, it is very important to me personally if my TADs gets a wider coveragepattern in the high frequencies. Even if the TAD is the much better driver, in this respect of wider coveragepattern even the old K69 was (to my ears) better due to the geometry that managed without (narrowing?) adapters.
For this reason I am full of anticipation if the Chief would find time and leisure for us Underground Jub/TAD user to design a birthday gift😎

2 hours ago, KT88 said:

I talked with an expert about this topic, he replied, because of the compression, the goal becomes to rebuild the wave with equal amplitude and phase. The extended plug does extends the phasing plug already in the compression driver and it is added the acoustic effect of redirecting the wave so that the coverage pattern is wider to the designed coveragepattern. This sounds very plausible to me, even if I would never have thought of it myself.

Incidentally, it is very important to me personally if my TADs gets a wider coveragepattern in the high frequencies. Even if the TAD is the much better driver, in this respect of wider coveragepattern even the old K69 was (to my ears) better due to the geometry that managed without (narrowing?) adapters.
For this reason I am full of anticipation if the Chief would find time and leisure for us Underground Jub/TAD user to design a birthday gift😎

That Roy is One Clever Guy, now isn't he?