Heritage getting more and more expensive

NOZ

eBay drives the price up too much. You get sellers who are willing to pay too much and it drives that auction up too much, but it also affects subsequent auctions.

I pretty much stick to the local used market. $621 for used heresys is just too much, especially when shipping is added. This may seem like a bargain to a buyer who was about to buy new for $1200, but it kills the marker for future buyers.

Chris

Well,

the sellers come in here and ask how much their speakers are worth...then they go on ebay with them set at a starting bid of that much...pretty simple. But they also look at how much the speaker ghouls are getting for the guts and figure that an entire speaker should go for more...then the speaker ghouls up what they start bidding at for the parts...vicious cycle...bottom line is...

If idiots DIDN'T make the high bids to start with...the sellers would have no choice but to relist the item at a lower starting bid or reserve to get any bids on it....pretty simple!

Best times to buy on eBay are NOT during this time of year, anyway. Too many people stuck inside using computer to alleviate boredom, too many people with money they just got for Christmas presents, etc.

Best prices are in tax season, when people need money badly...and fewer people HAVE money to spend on eBay because it has to go to the tax man...then during summer when the computers are empty while the monied people are out at the beach, or on a cruise, etc. Lots of great deals during those times if you just take the time to look!

Most people with big refunds get them before end of March...and either save them or blow them immediately(with the economy in the fix it is in right now...many will opt to pay off some of their Christmas purchases on credit cards, or save it towards later needed expenditures of late spring/summer)...from that point on until fall hits...is time to do yer eBay shopping...in April those OWING tax money have to pay it(often trying to sell stuff on eBay to get the money QUICKLY!...flooding the market...thereby lessening possibility of upward bidding)...then prom dress/limo/tux time, then you have graduation time...then wedding time...then summer weather...all of these leave people bled dry...and away from the puter bidding.

"And why do Heresy II's go for so much more?"

Simple answer...to the unknowing they represent an "improved" version...or at least, since they are more recent...they represent less "wear and tear" over time for components and cabinetry.

Alot of Heresys get gutted out by the "speaker ghouls" so that they can scarf-up more bucks for the parts than for the complete speakers. Since the Heresy guts are in a more-or-less airtight cabinet...those tweeter and mid drivers always look really pretty...no dust or grime on them...and sell for more...and they know it...so they gut them out...pretty simple! After selling a pair of tweeters for 200 bucks, and a pair of midrange drivers for 150-200 bucks, they already have what they could have gotten for the speakers themselves...and still have a pair of woofers, mid-horns, grille cloth panels, and networks to sell!!...pure profit!!

It sickens me to high heaven to see em do it...but as long as they continue to get more for the parts than the speakers, they will do it!! Especially if the cabinets have been severely thrashed over time!!

Simple "junk-yard" economics mentality...you buy a totaled-out vehicle for 500 bucks, sell its engine for 1500 bucks, already have about a 1000 bucks in profit...plus lots more crap to sell! The same attitude is happening with the speakers...and NOT just Klipsch speakers EITHER!! Look at some of the listings for parts out of other classics!! Old EV Centurians, etc...they sell the parts, then the cabinets!! Hell, last year some guy gutted a perfect set of very old K-horns and sold em off piece by piece just because "he didn't want to have to haul em around to be shipped"!! Happening More and More, now!!

I'm getting frustrated with E-Bay too. I gave up on my last bid for Heresy's at $450. Shipping is another $50, which seems fair if they are packed right.

I may just have to wait for a newspaper ad to find them or even an estate or yard sale. haha.

Any idea how many Heritage speakers were built?

I'd bet there are still plenty out there for a fair price.

If you can wait...8.gif

When i payed $800 dollars for my quarets new in 1990. i was very happy, with my choice, the only reason i did not get the cornwall was the price.

I finally was able to get a pair of cornwall

last year when if many here can remember

the crazyness that was going on, mine cost me $1200,were they worth it.A resonding yes!

The cost of restoreation a less than prestine pair, could i believe cost as much as shipping,even if you are able to do the work your self its quite a task.

A thread was started by hdbr builder calling heritage owner to respond. This was paramount in seperating the true heratage

pwk, versus other klisch model.

Personally i would not purchase the new klipsch line.to me they are bland. character less!!!Just my opinion, is the rf7 worth $2000 and not the cornwall?

I'M sure hdbr will attest to the standerd of quality that went into these speakers.

The word is already out that these speapers sound GREAT. and there is a Vibrant market for them.

if the eico or scott suck would they be going for their prices.the internet is a

marvelous channel , so is this form and as we all know its open to all .The mystique attched to the (herrases forgive spelling)

has increased their price from $250 a year

ago to as much as $600a pair.the cost of old klipsch speakers is on the rise.Watch out the klipschhorn are a bargin.

If you're still searching good luck!! those who already own!!!! ENJOY 3.gif

IMHO Heresy prices on eBay have not changed much over the past few years. Most go for between $350 and $450. They are mostly HDBRs without risers. Some go for less, some more.

The pair that sold for $641 appears to be in like-new condition, and has the HWO finish with grill and risers. They are certainly worth a premium over most of what shows up on eBay. Apparently the buyer felt a $200 premium was justified. I cannot fault him. What does a new pair of Heresy IIs go for?

How many Heritage speakers were built, huh? Lemme see here...I was just there for a few monts over 7 years...hmmm...not including overtime(and we did ALOT of overtime!!), figuring 8-hour days, minus weekends(we worked weekends, too!), annual holidays, and vacation time...and EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVELY putting JUST my Birch Heresy production in considerations here...that would come out to about...hmmm...still gonna be over 20,000 per year over that 7 year period!! Now add into that my annual Cornwall production...again EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVELY...about 2,000 per year...then figure in 3 LaScalas(again conservatively) per builder per day, and just figuring ONE builder(most times we had two or more doing it)...600 per year....now add in the NON-birch Heresys...again EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVELY...with JUST ONE builder on them...10,000 per year...now the k-horns...with just ONE builder(normally had two on em)...300 per year...now add on the Belles with just one builder....150 per year...that gives 31,050 Heritage speakers built a year...over that 7-year period...with a bunch of extra days off for everybody, and a few builders standing around doing nothing each year(NOT!!)...if that helps you any!!

I'm just surprised klipsch has not raised the asking price for new heresy II's. I think they are currently about $1100. If you can (and should) get at least a 20% discount from your dealer, that put's brand new ones at about $880 plus tax. I'd sure hate to pay $500 plus shipping for a pair 10 -20 years old, especially with the ebay risk factor.