EL34, 300B and the KT150 sound differences

Flevoman

On 5/21/2022 at 2:22 PM, mustang_flht said:

☺️👍

Example and Explications the MC2255 :

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/mcintosh-mc2255-284.html

The output stages of the MC 2255 operate in class-B, but a unique biasing system completely eliminates the crossover distortion usually associated with class-B operation.

That is typical McIntosh mumbo jumbo. Translation: low bias class AB.

Or McIntosh amps really are just suitable for PA use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

@Flevoman

Did you ever change anything?

Wow... Euhhh... Hang on, I think you are replying to a post I started some time ago. 

At this point I was just starting with upgrading my HiFi set...and yes, a lot have changed 😄 (and still is 😉

At that period I bought the Melody MDA2 (2A3 tubes) 

After that I tried some other amps because I wanted to upgrade my set. 

And recently I found a Decware zen triode and since two days also the Willsenton R300. 

Meanwhile giving cables and powercords a chance... 

So, yeah... Having a good time with this hobby, and still a lot to learn 🙃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

DC series were horrible for Stereo use. 🙄

Let's not forget the ICY 150 preamp, antihero audio turd ....Specs aren't everything

And I bought both being young and trusting specifications. Both pieces DC300A and IC 150 pre were highly reviewed and praised for their great spec numbers. None better with either piece. Better specs than the test equipment the labs used. Now I mostly just use SET tube amplifiers with the worse specs of all the classes of amplification. Got caught up in the hype of all the rags that praised gear according to numbers at that time in audio history 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I use a Macrotech now Have not strayed far from the fold. 🙂

The Flogging Crew will be there in about 67 minutes to give you the appropriate flogging of which you deserve.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coytee said:

The Flogging Crew will be there in about 67 minutes to give you the appropriate flogging of which you deserve.

That's ok... I am now using 'The Duke', the modified Crown D-45 and a Crown XLi800, 25 and 300 wpc respectively.  Dennis used to say the Icy 150 and DC300A sounded aweful.

What I hear with these is perfectly fine, both quiet and smooth (still kinda miss my old 2A3 amps, though).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, richieb said:

- make it so. Let the flogging commence - 

Maybe I'll just fess up and show a picture of myself (in the Indy-500 thread) wearing a wicket set of whiskers on my face.  Perhaps that will suffice.

interesting thread--took awhile to read. For all the concern over the amplifier, not much discussion about the choice of tube brand, new or old, etc within a particular tube type such as EL34. In the tube forum this is a big deal for many enthusiasts. They would experiment with the tubes within say the ST70 amp, maybe before moving to another amp design.

Resistors generate noise when current flows through them. One type of noise is low frequency noise called pink, or 1/f noise because it increases in magnitude as the frequency decreases. You can find an article about this by Moore on the internet to see which resistors have the least of this noise. I don't know if this impacts audio amps much. 

I bought Klipschorns in 1972 and recently got back into the audio hobby in a modest way. I've built an Elekit 8600S 300B amp after reading a review in Stereophile mag. Plenty of power for  Klipsch speakers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Listening on this through 6c33c-b SE amp. Sounds amazing!
There are lots of music on Spotify that I hear is not hi-rez'd..
I prefer listening more to the non re-master as long as the needle drop is clean or should I say recorded right even there's clicks and pops.😺

• Like 1

Been running my new 15 watt integrated recording tube amp with all the bells and whistles of recording inputs and outputs. Its just 18 days right now and this is the first custom made tube amp I had that I'm not entirely happy with the outcome. I think I made the wrong decision of getting a SE mode instead of push pull. It breaks up way to early, the bass dynamic sounds flatter and the heat is twice more. I have a 14 watt tube amp that dominates the 65 watt KG tower speakers all day long. This new amp is choking.. OMG! I might end up sending this back and have it changes to a push pull mode.😒

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, CCG said:

Been running my new 15 watt integrated recording tube amp with all the bells and whistles of recording inputs and outputs. Its just 18 days right now and this is the first custom made tube amp I had that I'm not entirely happy with the outcome. I think I made the wrong decision of getting a SE mode instead of push pull. It breaks up way to early, the bass dynamic sounds flatter and the heat is twice more. I have a 14 watt tube amp that dominates the 65 watt KG tower speakers all day long. This new amp is choking.. OMG! I might end up sending this back and have it changes to a push pull mode.😒

Or the design is not the best.

The Almarro A318A was redesigned and bass performance was one of the things addressed, the A318B plays well with a much wider range of speakers.

27 minutes ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

Or the design is not the best.

The amp does what its suppose to do but its not the right application for my existing system setup and needs which is more in recording playbacks. On audiophile listening SE amps sound great and more brilliant even in lower volumes. But they need the help of a sub-woofer so it will sound glorious to fill the lower frequency. My other 300b SE amp is the same. But my 300b PP and 6c33c-b pp may not have the ultimate magic midrange a SE amp offers has but its close enough with the right setup. Anything below 100hz is magical and it doesn't choke on high volumes. SE amps are opposite.