Help us out

NOSValves

No problems from this end, works fine.

Nice work Kelly. Sure wish I had your skill sets.

Yes, my camera is poop. However, which is better: A 40 year old cosmetically "as is" 299 shot with a high resolution camera showing in very great detail the rust on the iron, small pits and stains on the chassis, and every scratch and ding -- or the same amp shot with a poopy camera after a going over by yours truly with emery, blood, sweat, and tears?16.gif

Ah yes, my 299b sitting in Craig's garage collecting dust (and God knows what else), while I scratch and scape for bucks to have something better than good done to her. I would really love to do those Blackgates, replace the power cord, add binding posts, and maybe squish another suprise or eight in there. Having Craig dump everything in there that I can think of, and adding some premium Amperex or Telefunkens into the preamp section -- will still bring her in substantially lower than a very good modern used push-pull. Hey folks, this is a complete no brainer here. I don't know, that Cary "house sound" is pretty damn good though.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

I saw this:

"...its the firewall on my router causing the problem."

Are you running this off your own computer at your home? If you are it's asking for trouble, internet hackers will trash you. If you are going to do this, crank up a sacrificial machine and put the site on it. If you have a decent router you should be able to park the web machine in the DMZ and you can just reload it from a CD copy if it gets trashed. If you're running it off a home machine make sure it will only accept incoming connections on port 80, HTTP. Make dead sure it doesn't have telnet running on port 23 or FTP on 21, that's the quickest way in.

Tell me you're not really doing this off your home machine?

Tom

No I'm not hosting this sight on my PC. Its on Comcast calbes server and gives this stupid error to me and Kelly. Comcast say its my Firewall in my router not letting something refresh %*$(&^)_ its all french to me. I can't believe no one else is getting this error but Kelly and I.....

Craig

Nice site, guys! No problems from good old Germany -keep going and good luck with your venture -it's actually something which I would like to have around closer to home!

BTW: a special discount for BB members is a grrrrrrreaaaaaaat idea!

Wolfram

So, looks like you and Kelly are the only two get bit with this. Should be easy to figure out -- what do you two have in common that no one else here does?

How is Kelly doing this work? Directly onto the Comcast server I would imagine. So, both you and Kelly are being issued IP's for your sessions (your local machines) that are probably part of the same subnet as the Comcast server.

Craig, you might want to remove that router and plug straight in to see if you get the error, unless of course you are not really running a "router", but rather -- some type of broadband device instead (provided by your cable or phone company).

Kelly, do you have a router, or running firewall software?

I'd like to know what the error says exactly.

I dont have a router but I do have a HUB that I use to run the other laptop here but not configured like a router. I've got the ole two network cards in my main machine (running the other laptop from the second card), and I use a hub instead of a two way net cable or "crossover" cable. I am running Zone Alarm, however. Still, I dont know why that would cause it.

What is essentially happening is that it is running the whole site as if on a "SECURE" server. You get the little LOCK in your IE browser like when on a secure server (bank/paypal/shopping cart)etc. THe warning is the fact that you site name does NOT match the certificate name. I didnt even make this site as if on a secure server nor did I realize that Craig's comcast area is providing a "secure" connection but that is what is happening. Dean, you might have part of the problem figured out. I wish I knew more about that kind of thing. Alas, I was an English/Philosophy major, and while I am techically inclined and have done engineering in the audio domain, I dont have ANY training in the computer backend stuff etc. Dean, is this your area?

Also, I am praying that NETSCAPE will disappear as it doesnt read style sheets and is giving me fits with this type of site I did for Craig involving background images etc and style sheets. Sometimes I wonder WHY??? If anyone is still running something like Netscape 4.7/4.8, then it's a royal pain...

Please, if any of you still use NETSCAPE (I used it when it was good and better than IE) please DELETE AT ONCE! heh.... Lord. IF only they would get the browsers working the same. Factor in the AOL interpretation, and you suddenly have a major headache if doing something a bit out of the norm.

Dean, I'll be interested to hear your ideas on the secure server matching certificate problem. btw, The site will have all new images probably....

kh

ps- Craig's server, on top of that, is having problems at the moment. Cant believe that is his only cable access. They stink the high horse!

Thanks, Lynnm.

As for the slowness, it's his server COMCAST that is running like a snail with a backpack. Something is wrong at the moment and they are floundering like Geese on a frozen lake. The COMCAST tech group seems about as on top of the ball as Swiss-Miss Cocoa at a Starbucks...

Ok, I'll stop while I am ahead.

kh