Jubilee Amplifiers?

Blackcat

• 1 year later...

at this moment i drive my LF cabinets with a Hypex 500wpc class D amp, just did a comparrison with one of my Crown K2 amps but for now my impression was that the hypex has better low end and more punch.

for the 402`s i am switching between the First watt J2 and tubes. not sure what i like best yet.

both the J2 and the LM219IA are 25 watt amps.

i am a tube guy but you need a really really good tube amp to keep up with the J2.

will try my Mc275 on the horns next week, and after that a Sun Audio 2A3 from a friend of mine.

something in me doesnt want to part with tubes :P but the J2 is no nonsense and top sounding.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:30 PM, Islander said:

I run identical Class D amps for bass and treble with my JubScala IIs.  No gain matching issues, and consistent sound from lowest bass to highest treble.

i got this advice recently from a dealer. not perse class D but he did advise me to use the same amps. and maybe go for horizontal bi amping. so that the character of the amp covers the whole spectrum.

food for thought

On 2/27/2024 at 2:12 PM, OilyBoy said:

i got this advice recently from a dealer. not perse class D but he did advise me to use the same amps. and maybe go for horizontal bi amping. so that the character of the amp covers the whole spectrum.

food for thought

On my bi-amp systems, I use the same amps for bass and treble, so the gain is always matched as the volume (voltage) goes up and down.

3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

On my bi-amp systems, I use the same amps for bass and treble, so the gain is always matched as the volume (voltage) goes up and down.

I understand, but with the Jubilee, that is not necessary due to the digital crossover. So, once the gain is matched, it will adjust evenly when you turn the dial on the preamp.

• Moderators

McIntosh MC901 single channel dual mono amplifier. 1 mono output is SS 600W for LF section, other output in s 300W valve for HF section. 

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC901

“Vacuum tubes do not perform at their best when they are amplifying lower frequencies that are not being used by the loudspeaker. With the MC901, the vacuum tube amp will not be burdened with low end reproduction as the solid state section will drive these frequencies. The two amplifier sections of the MC901 are designed to work together in a synergistic relationship and are specifically engineered to assure that each section only amplifies its intended frequencies. Each amplifier section has its own discrete power supply so neither siphons power or performance away from the other. All of this results in easy bi-amping with unparalleled performance and sound reproduction from your speakers.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 4:09 PM, OilyBoy said:

at this moment i drive my LF cabinets with a Hypex 500wpc class D amp, just did a comparrison with one of my Crown K2 amps but for now my impression was that the hypex has better low end and more punch.

for the 402`s i am switching between the First watt J2 and tubes. not sure what i like best yet.

both the J2 and the LM219IA are 25 watt amps.

i am a tube guy but you need a really really good tube amp to keep up with the J2.

will try my Mc275 on the horns next week, and after that a Sun Audio 2A3 from a friend of mine.

something in me doesnt want to part with tubes :P but the J2 is no nonsense and top sounding.

Really ??

Class  D ...more better??

Shocking. 🙃

58 minutes ago, diamonddelts said:

I wonder if you can use a pair of big amps with the Heritage Jubilee? I was thinking 350 W per channel for the HF/MF and 500 watts per channel for the low end.

In addition to being severe overkill, it can actually backfire on you. It is not uncommon for a Class-AB amplifier to have considerably more distortion at very low power than it does just before clipping. A fairly typical example of that is shown in Figure 3 here. With super-efficient speakers like the Jubilee, you're likely to spend nearly all of your time below 1 Watt, where distortion is at its highest.

Other amplifier types may behave somewhat differently. Class-D can be better or worse, depending upon implementation. And you're probably not considering a 500 Watt Class-A amp.

• Like 2