Klipsch Heritage Jubilee vs. Underground Jubilee Upgrade

diamonddelts

On 1/31/2023 at 9:32 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

Yes I’ve heard the 3-way Jubilee and it is excellent and rivals the Underground Jubilee 2-way with K402/TAD4002..👍

miketn

I have 3way jubs but i turned them in to 2way as advised by most of the forum members. I never heard the 3way fully dialed in since i was on my own at that time and did not have the know how about DSP and REW. So i used them whith a 3way passive xover from Werner Jagush and also with a DSP with the factory settings from klipsch. but all the magic was missing offcourse due to the lack of REW and tuning. By the time that Craig came over to do the REW/Xilica magic i allready turned them into 2way.

offcourse i kept all the parts and stored them. so i can turn them back into 3way anytime.

but i have to say that at this moment they sound magical and the soundstage is bigger than big so i dont see any reason to do that. and the upside is that they are a bit smaller (lower) now (not that size is a problem in my room).

if i could name one thing i like the least (or love a little less) about my current setup it would be the lack of real deep bass which by now i tackled by installing the THTLP subs and sometimes i miss a little agression in the form of bass punch from the jube LF bins. they dont move much air. everybody says the bass is the big difference with the Herritage jubes (no subs needed etc.) so i am very curious on that issue)

but i do have to say that my room is quite big, has a very high ceiling and i also have not done anything about soundproofing yet so i m not sure how good my acoustics are at the moment.

But Craig told me they sound awesome and come close to his system (which is a fully tuned sound proofed room)

sorry for my bad english. speaking is always easyer than typing.

Edited by OilyBoy
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:52 PM, OilyBoy said:

I have 3way jubs but i turned them in to 2way as advised by most of the forum members. I never heard the 3way fully dialed in since i was on my own at that time and did not have the know how about DSP and REW. So i used them whith a 3way passive xover from Werner Jagush and also with a DSP with the factory settings from klipsch. but all the magic was missing offcourse due to the lack of REW and tuning. By the time that Craig came over to do the REW/Xilica magic i allready turned them into 2way.

offcourse i kept all the parts and stored them. so i can turn them back into 3way anytime.

but i have to say that at this moment they sound magical and the soundstage is bigger than big so i dont see any reason to do that. and the upside is that they are a bit smaller (lower) now (not that size is a problem in my room).

if i could name one thing i like the least (or love a little less) about my current setup it would be the lack of real deep bass which by now i tackled by installing the THTLP subs and sometimes i miss a little agression in the form of bass punch from the jube LF bins. they dont move much air. everybody says the bass is the big difference with the Herritage jubes (no subs needed etc.) so i am very curious on that issue)

but i do have to say that my room is quite big, has a very high ceiling and i also have not done anything about soundproofing yet so i m not sure how good my acoustics are at the moment.

But Craig told me they sound awesome and come close to his system (which is a fully tuned sound proofed room)

OilyBoy, I have a Faital HF200 with a passive third party xover for my UJ. I do not know the Faital HF20AT. I googled it and it seems rather similar? I have the 16 ohm version. If the HF20AT is different who designed the passive xover for it, is it a one off? Active driven I use a TAD 4002 and a Yamaha SP2060 using Roys settings. I am in Cologne, not so far from your place? Do you still use your Faital driver actively now?

13 hours ago, KT88 said:

OilyBoy, I have a Faital HF200 with a passive third party xover for my UJ. I do not know the Faital HF20AT. I googled it and it seems rather similar? I have the 16 ohm version. If the HF20AT is different who designed the passive xover for it, is it a one off? Active driven I use a TAD 4002 and a Yamaha SP2060 using Roys settings. I am in Cologne, not so far from your place? Do you still use your Faital driver actively now?

I dont have experience with te HF200. The funny thing is.. i bought my Jubs with original k69 drivers. at that time i did`nt knew that there were people upgrading their jubilees with different drivers. total newbie.

about a year later i bought a beautifull pair of Cornscala type D with 510 horns (with mumps) and the Faital HF20AT drivers, also 16ohm btw. they were a project from a dutch forum member (dont know if he is still active here). xovers were from Crites but the cornscalas lacked every form of magic.

I had a pair of new xovers made by Werner Jagusch (mast_mutter on Ebay), the same guy who build the 3way xovers that came with my jubes when i bought them. this was an improvement.

later i got to chat with Craig from Houston TX on the forum (Born2rock) and what a coiincidence.. he was using this exact same drivers on his 2way jubilees. (5 of them in one room .. legend). He told me this would make a significant upgrade over the K69 driver so with a little help from Craig via Messenger i swapped the drivers between the Cornscalas and the jubes. (and turned my jubes into 2way). i also took the 510 horns with mumps out of the CS and swapped them for my 510s (tweeter section of the 3way jubilee) so if i ever want to go 3way with the jubes i have the new version of the 510 horns waiting in storage.

Funny thing is that the Cornscalas sounded better with the K69 driver than with the Faital. Maybe had to do with the pairing with the xovers.. dont know. Anyway the Cornscalas are now sold to a new happy owner and i kept the Faital drivers. 

I am still reading about upgrading to the new Herritage Jubilee drivers, i foud a whole article from Chris on DIYaudio about this upgrade, but i`m not sure yet.

I added a picture of the 3way passive xovers that came with my jubilees, i still own them but i think they are better for lets say a Khorn or some other beautiful project. If anybody is interested in them feel free to send me a message. But when Craig did the REW magic and dialed the Xilica in there was no going back. all of a sudden the jubes came to life. 

Last picture you see Craig (Who was in NL at the time) dialing the jubes in with the THTLP subs upside down in the corners behind them.

I also lowered the horns so the driver height is at ear position. on Craigs advise.

rsz_20190416_172213.jpg

rsz_20220106_163337.jpg

rsz_20220113_105742.jpg

rsz_20230526_112653.jpg

Edited by OilyBoy
  • Like 1

Very interesting what you write. BTW I think that the old not particularly filigree sounding K69 nevertheless least the treble beams because it is a real 2 inch driver. The Faital HF200 (actually looks like your HF20A) is also a genuie 1,4 inch driver but the adapter has a wide opening angle which suits the K402. Unfortunately, my best driver, the TAD4002 beams the most because it is actually a 1.4 inch driver and has a long low opening adapter piece to 2 inches which is more suitable for exponential horns.
Another point, if your passive xover is really designed for the Jubilee then you have to modify it if you want to use it for a Khorn. Because the Tractrix horns, unlike the K400, do not have a linear sound pressure curve. With your arrangement on the last picture (lowering the K402), have you entered additional time delay into the active DSP crossover?

My current configuration. The Quad 606 I bought cheaply four months ago and installed new electrolytic capacitors, because I want to drive the bass with it and with a Quad 306 the K402 TAD. At the moment I have other projects, when the time comes and it is ready you are welcome to visit me, I probably have the only UJ in Germany.

IMG_1056.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 10/31/2023 at 10:52 AM, OilyBoy said:

Post was perfect, better than some native English speakers.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KT88 said:

I probably have the only UJ in Germany.

I know the feeling LOL.

i was told i had the only 3way system ever sold in europe. but i found it hard to believe, and Klipsch has no records as far as i know.

having said that, i am kind of convinced that i am the only owner of a pair of UG jubilees (2way/3way) in the Netherlands.

so now we can form a european association with 2 members 😎🤣

• Like 1

We could arrange a date for the next spring if you like. I can send you my email as a PM. Yes, I know your area, very very nice in the Netherlands, I have every year a week with two old school friends for 18 years where we rent a boat in North Friesland. For Americans it is a distance like for us to get bread rolls....

@MicroMaraas well if you like.

Does anyone has an opinion or listening reference of the lowered 402 horn with driver at listening/ear hight (i guess Craig and i are not the onlyones to have them lowered) vs the high and straight forward driver on the Herriitage jubilee. 

If lowering the driver would be such an emprovement... than one would say that klipsch/roy would keep that in mind when designing the jubilees.

I have to say that i cant really remember how they sounded before we lowered them. i am only just starting to get used to the sound of my jubs. During spring and summer i hardly listen to them because i`m a lot outside in my garden.

so now the listening fun starts again.. especially since it is raining for 3 wks in a row allready.

33 minutes ago, OilyBoy said:

Does anyone has an opinion or listening reference of the lowered 402 horn with driver at listening/ear hight (i guess Craig and i are not the onlyones to have them lowered) vs the high and straight forward driver on the Herriitage jubilee. 

If lowering the driver would be such an emprovement... than one would say that klipsch/roy would keep that in mind when designing the jubilees.

I have to say that i cant really remember how they sounded before we lowered them. i am only just starting to get used to the sound of my jubs. During spring and summer i hardly listen to them because i`m a lot outside in my garden.

so now the listening fun starts again.. especially since it is raining for 3 wks in a row allready.

Lowering the horns down as some people have done with the Underground Jubilee is probably not practical on the Heritage Jubilee without making something the support the weight of the veneered MDF frame around the horn.  However, much of that benefit can be had by simply tilting the horn down until the listening position is vertically on-axis with the K-402 horn.  I describe what I did with mine here.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, DrWho said:

I don't think anyone picked up on this....

I was always told we had to get our audio toys before getting married. You are a brave man, haha.

Btw, newly married myself and getting a new house this year. I haven't broached the speaker conversation yet, so I might be reaching out for tips, haha ;)

Oh, and congrats! And good luck with this crazy housing market.

Congrats guys 8-)

My wife has bought Belles for our living room and approved new Jubilees for music room... Better than a motorcycle 8-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

Lowering the horns down as some people have done with the Underground Jubilee is probably not practical on the Heritage Jubilee without making something the support the weight of the veneered MDF frame around the horn.  However, much of that benefit can be had by simply tilting the horn down until the listening position is vertically on-axis with the K-402 horn.  I describe what I did with mine here.

Thanks i`ll look in to it,

49 minutes ago, OilyBoy said:

they look kind of stupid with the horns lowered  

can you post  a picture of the lowered horns  , I am not criticizing  lowering the horns in any way , far from it , but I have never seen what it looks like tx