Can't find polarity markings on HF driver in Klipsch Forte IV upgrade kit

Stubb

I got in a pair of Forte IV upgrade kits, PN #1070334. Installation is going fine, but I can't find polarity markings on the HF drivers. Is there a way to distinguish which one gets the green (+) vs black (-) wire?

It's labeled:

K-107-TI W/HORN

Edited by Stubb

3 hours ago, Stubb said:

I got in a pair of Forte IV upgrade kits, PN #1070334. Installation is going fine, but I can't find polarity markings on the HF drivers. Is there a way to distinguish which one gets the green (+) vs black (-) wire?

It's labeled:

K-107-TI W/HORN

if you're looking at the magnet   left to right ,    green wire goes on the  left terminal  ,  black wire goes on the right terminal  , 

12 hours ago, OO1 said:

if you're looking at the magnet   left to right ,    green wire goes on the  left terminal  ,  black wire goes on the right terminal  , 

Here's a picture of the driver. I'm unclear how you're associating left and right. Turn it so the leads are at 12 o'clock, then green is the left terminal and black the right? Thanks!

IMG_1908.jpg

Edited by Stubb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stubb said:

Here's a picture of the driver. How are you associating left and right? Thanks!

Can you flip it upside down and take a close up of the terminals? Usually there's either a "dot" od paint for positive or a sometimes hard to see "+" indentation. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Can you flip it upside down and take a close up of the terminals? Usually there's either a "dot" od paint for positive or a sometimes hard to see "+" indentation. 

Thanks for looking! Here's a view from the top. Is the little dot on the left the (+) mark? I didn't notice it until I hit the terminals with a flashlight to make this picture!

IMG_1910.jpg

Edited by Stubb

36 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Here's the picture 

Klipsch Forte III hangfal teszt | av-online.hu

Interesting—on the driver that's marked in my set (link), the dot corresponds to the terminal with the black wire in your picture 🤔

In your picture, I'd say that both terminals are on the right. I'm clearly missing something.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Stubb said:

Interesting—on the driver that's marked in my set (link), the dot corresponds to the terminal with the black wire in your picture 🤔

In your picture, I'd say that both terminals are on the right. I'm clearly missing something.

ok  , so here's how we'll do it , take the tweeter   magnet facing you , with  terminals  facing down at 6'o "clock  ,  left terminal  is green , right terminal is black 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Marvel said:

If this is the same driver, doesn't this pic make it obvious?

Connections are obvious on that pic. It's the mark on one of the drivers that came in my kit (pic below) that makes it a head scratcher. 

On 2/5/2023 at 10:43 AM, Stubb said:

Thanks for looking! Here's a view from the top. Is the little dot on the left the (+) mark? I didn't notice it until I hit the terminals with a flashlight to make this picture!

IMG_1910.jpg

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

That doesn't, to me, look like a specific marking. Do they both have the same mark? I would tend to connect the same way as the ones that you took out.

No, only one has a mark like that. The installation instructions say "The tweeter positive terminal will be marked with a (+) symbol, a dot of paint or a colored sticker" so I thought this might be the dot of paint. But odd that only one is marked in this fashion, so maybe it isn't?

I've installed mine the way @OO1 suggested and asked Klipsch support for confirmation. Would be easy if this was a woofer: connect a battery and feel which way the cone moves! 

Edited by Stubb

• 2 weeks later...