Amp pairing recs for Chorus II

Don A

Hello everyone, looking for some recs for amps under $2000 to pair with Chorus II. Prefer to go used, Yamaha A-S1200 maybe? Marantz? Mcintosh? I've heard older Harman stuff works well. Current source is a MacBook Pro running Tidal. I listen to classic rock & edm mostly in a 12x12 room at low to medium levels. Willing to buy a DAC separately. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Don A

25 minutes ago, OO1 said:

The   quality of a  used A-S 1100 or 1200  is pretty unique at this price point for an old school  modern amps ,   the quality   increases  with the  A-S 2000-2100-2200  , the closest to these amp's technology  are the Michi by Rotel or  the Hegel , but both  are more expensive 

Visually, it looks like the jump happens between A-S801 & A-S1200. Is there a significant gap in quality between A-s1200 & A-S2200? I can pick up an A-S801 locally for about $500, where an A-S1200 is going to cost about $2k used. 

McCormack DNA-series, you can only find them used.  The “Deluxe” versions are preferable. I’ve used the .5, the 1’s, and the HT3.  The DNA-1 Deluxe - 185 wpc - is all the power you would need, unless your room is cavernous.

From what I’ve read Parasound a 23+ would be an excellent choice also, though I’ve not heard the Chorus with one; I’ve heard Parasound and K-Horns together, and it was ephemeral.

I use a Marantz 2230 in my medium sized office and think it sounds very good with plenty of power.  Usually I listen to Apple Music off of my iPhone and Apple dongle, 3.5 to dual RCA's.

A Marantz 2215, 2245 and 2270 would be similar.  Also have used a Yamaha RX-950 (circa 1990) receiver that worked well also.  Tried a couple of NAD receivers and Proton 1150 and 1200 power amps and wasn't as satisfied with them.

IMG_0148.JPG

• Like 3

To quote an ancient TV show....MORE POWER!  I don't care what brand of amp it is.  Until I heard my Chorus 2's with well over 100 watts/channel, I thought they were deficient.  My only other post on here was seeking help for a lack of bass.  My mea culpa post should be forthcoming but I can tell you, a vintage Adcom 355 (with 200+ watts into 8 ohms) opened my eyes and ears.  It was the remedy to all the sonic issues I thought they had. 

Now I have an even better sounding, but no less powerful amp (200+ watts/ch.) will drive them blissfully.  The previous owner of my Chorus 2's had an 8 watt triode amp and couldn't get the bass he wanted out of them, and with 100 watts into 8 ohms, neither could I...especially in my big listening room...even if I put them super-close to the wall behind. 

Now with plenty of power, (Rogue Audio Medusa w/ vintage 1963 Mullards), and placed about 1 foot from the back (front?) wall, they are GLORIOUS. I'm a total evangelist for Klipsch, and Chorus 2's in particular.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bubba_Buoy said:

To quote an ancient TV show....MORE POWER!  I don't care what brand of amp it is.  Until I heard my Chorus 2's with well over 100 watts/channel, I thought they were deficient.  My only other post on here was seeking help for a lack of bass.  My mea culpa post should be forthcoming but I can tell you, a vintage Adcom 355 (with 200+ watts into 8 ohms) opened my eyes and ears.  It was the remedy to all the sonic issues I thought they had. 

Now I have an even better sounding, but no less powerful amp (200+ watts/ch.) will drive them blissfully.  The previous owner of my Chorus 2's had an 8 watt triode amp and couldn't get the bass he wanted out of them, and with 100 watts into 8 ohms, neither could I...especially in my big listening room...even if I put them super-close to the wall behind. 

Now with plenty of power, (Rogue Audio Medusa w/ vintage 1963 Mullards), and placed about 1 foot from the back (front?) wall, they are GLORIOUS. I'm a total evangelist for Klipsch, and Chorus 2's in particular.

Good luck!

Totally agree. Chorus sound better with more power at any volume level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fellow Chorus II fella here. Pushing 'em with a Yamaha A-S2200 integrated @ 90 WPC. I added a Schiit Lokius Tone Control unit, which I can dial in more clean bass with, and of course more or less mids and highs. I don't feel the need for a sub. I rarely can turn the volume up to even 1/3. The listening experience is fantastic! Very cllean power with presence and detail. Just my experience with what I have. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

Fellow Chorus II fella here. Pushing 'em with a Yamaha A-S2200 integrated @ 90 WPC 

if a Yamaha A-S2200 can push a Chorus II with excellent bass , no sub , it can power any klipsch Heritage speaker 

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the replies. I am going from a pair of KG4s to Chorus IIs. Small room (12x12). Crappy receiver (Yamaha HTR-5240). Equilateral triangle with 10' sides. The soundstage of the Chorus II is seriously lacking, and I felt that way since I heard them from the house I bought them where the person was running a Parasound amp. I have A/B'd the KG4s and the Chorus IIs, and it's not close - the KG4s hit me in the ears, the Chorus IIs hit about 10' in front of me, directly in between the two speakers. I'm working on placement and room conditioning. Working to upgrade to an Adcom amp. Does anyone have any input on what could cause this discrepancy? The Chorus IIs are all original. They have great bass, fuller sound, just not engulfing me like the KG4s are.

How do you have them placed in the room?  Have you tried 9-12” off the front wall and zero toe in?

I have chorus ii in a small basement family room.  I was using older adcom gear, but now using a cheap yamaha (htr-5540) for a 5.1 system.  For music, they sounded significantly better to me with the adcom.  

If you are going to give vintage adcom a try, the smaller gfa-535 amp (original, not version II) is considered the best sounding of the line.  Conservatively rated at 60 watts per channel.  WAY more than you’ll ever need in that room.  I have it paired with a gtp-500 pre.  (Good phono stage if it matters to you, and a remote control…).   Should be able to pick them both up for less than a few hundred.

Can someone explain why chorus ii amp recommendations are always super high powered amps, while they are 101 (according to the spec sheet) db efficient, while something like a forte IV (99 db) often recommended lower powered tubes. What explains the difference? 

5 hours ago, winglet said:

How do you have them placed in the room?  Have you tried 9-12” off the front wall and zero toe in?

I have them near corners, have tried between 10"-1.5' from the front wall, tried toe-in from zero to too far in and even pointed away just to see what would happen. Still feels like the sound is all out in front of me. The horizontal soundstage is pretty nice, it just doesn't feel like it reaches my ears. 

5 hours ago, winglet said:

If you are going to give vintage adcom a try, the smaller gfa-535 amp (original, not version II) is considered the best sounding of the line.  Conservatively rated at 60 watts per channel.  WAY more than you’ll ever need in that room.  I have it paired with a gtp-500 pre.  (Good phono stage if it matters to you, and a remote control…).   Should be able to pick them both up for less than a few hundred.

There's a GFA-535 paired with a GFA-555II Preamp locally for $600 together, unable to separate them. Seems a little pricey. Also a GFA-6000 for $250, which is Class H? You're saying the GFA-535 is the way to go? Seems like a lot of people are recommending huge power for the Chorus, though I know the Adcoms have a high damping factor.

Edited by Don A

9 minutes ago, Don A said:

I know the Adcoms have a high damping factor.

ADCOM for Heritage speakers , you wont like em  , for the money , the Yamaha A-S801   is better or a Crown XLi  800  brand new ...... 300$ , 200 wpc  / 8 Ohms 

On 4/24/2023 at 11:01 PM, Don A said:

I appreciate all of the replies. I am going from a pair of KG4s to Chorus IIs. Small room (12x12). Crappy receiver (Yamaha HTR-5240). Equilateral triangle with 10' sides. The soundstage of the Chorus II is seriously lacking, and I felt that way since I heard them from the house I bought them where the person was running a Parasound amp. I have A/B'd the KG4s and the Chorus IIs, and it's not close - the KG4s hit me in the ears, the Chorus IIs hit about 10' in front of me, directly in between the two speakers. I'm working on placement and room conditioning. Working to upgrade to an Adcom amp. Does anyone have any input on what could cause this discrepancy? The Chorus IIs are all original. They have great bass, fuller sound, just not engulfing me like the KG4s 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:08 PM, chuckears said:

McCormack DNA-series, you can only find them used.  The “Deluxe” versions are preferable. I’ve used the .5, the 1’s, and the HT3.  The DNA-1 Deluxe - 185 wpc - is all the power you would need, unless your room is cavernous.

There's a McCormack DNA-1 Revision A locally for $1300. Don't know much about them, not sure if this is a good price.

59 minutes ago, OO1 said:

ADCOM for Heritage speakers , you wont like em  , for the money , the Yamaha A-S801   is better or a Crown XLi  800  brand new ...... 300$ , 200 wpc  / 8 Ohms 

Why are Crowns so cheap and recommended less than other amps? Is it because they're not very attractive and rack mountable?