best cd players?????

marksdad

hey guys, need some expert advice. i had the rotel 991 cd player, but i got rid of it because it had a few transport probs and a few skip probs, any i am now using aan old sony player (mxd-d3) and it sucks, seems that half the music gets choked off, i play from my rotel dvd player to the sony, and the difference is really big, i could use the rotel dvd player for cd, but i dont like over using my machines that way, so i am in need of a good dedicated cd player, what is good, and on par with the rest of my gear. many of the audio stores around here arent concentrating on cd anymore, they are looking into the future, so they only carry low end stuff, so it has been a little hard to even audition good players, surprising, denver is so big now, but it is hard to find good audio?it is either really expensive gear (over 1500) or really poor gear (under 200) i want to spend under 6-80012.gif

I would take a poll on the Digial Drive area of the Audio Asylum.

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/digital/bbs.html

Now that CES '03 is over you will see some 3rd generation SACD players with decent Redbook playback capabilites as well as 24/192 mHz upsampling.

The Philips 963SA comes to mind, but it's not out yet.

You can't go wrong with the Original Rega Planet. Very Musical and can be had for about $350 used.

- tb

The original Rega is getting on in years. Personally, I would stay away.

Go for anything that incorporates the more recent dacs.

I favor the Sony ES machines. I'm done with 'audiophile' decks that think by emasculating the treble, they sound 'like vinyl'.

Marksdad~

C'mon now we Rotel fans need to stick together. 9.gif Just go get the RCD-1070 and and your problems are solved. It's a great CD player and I picked it up from my local Rotel dealer for $594. Of course long term reliability is unknown right now as it's a new model.

If you must leave Rotel (which I doubt you want or will do), I personally took a look at the Rega Planet and the NAD 541. The higher price of the Rega and the quality concerns I had read about the NAD, made the Rotel the obvious choice.

Stick to the Rotel my friend. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with it.

~shoe

I heard the new Sony ES changer with Martin Logans and McIntosh.

It was $ 499 retail and included SACD.

SACD sounded cool CD so so.

Musical Fidelity has a new one that should be worth a listen. I do not know where to demo it in my area.

I think the Rotel sound is like my DAC.

Problems with the 991 ????

Mines being running glitch free for 3 years now !!! Skip problems occured on mine untill i isolated it with black diamond racing cones, but i've yet to have a problem with the laser.

Thought you were going to look at Rotels new offering ?

I have gone through about a dozen CD players, separates, tin cans with strings, you name it.

Settled on a Theta Miles CD player, and haven't looked back.

There is some merit to getting the latest DAC, but there is big merit to going used. Often the transport and power supply are the biggest cost-savings in modern equipment.

For example, the Theta Miles has seven power supplies.

I am a big big believer in good transports. They really make a difference, and low jitter input to a DAC of any quality is better than high jitter input to a high-end DAC.

Nice machine, but for $2100 it ought to be.

The new machine by Creek looks like a winner as well, but again -- pushing $2K.

I think this is about where you have to be to get to the next level, but I also think if one is primarily engaged in Rock music and some of the heavier stuff -- the superior translation of the sublties is bound to get lost in the mix.

I don't know about this idea of falling back on some of the older stuff. Remember, my 9000es trounced my near $2K Anthem CD-1 pretty badly.

Tom -- the answer to your question is 'yes'. I think CD has come light years in comparison to the awful crap that was pumped out in the 80's. I ran a fairly nice table and MC back in the early 80's, and most of my newer CD's -- though not capable of the smooth as glass treble -- are rather wicked in resolution and dynamics on my 9000es.

I'm looking into a new CD player also, my denon has worked well for the past 2 years, but with the upgrade to a 299A I think it's time to start looking for another one. I've been looking at some modified units, a buddy of mine has a modded unit and it sounds really good. I have the chance to pick up one at a fraction of the cost of a new one, through my buddy I can get it for $600-700. Better yet, I get the chance to audition in my home before I decide to purchase. I'm not going to speaker lots of money on a CD player.

For those who are interested, check out this webpage.

http://www.danielsaudio.com/basic_info_cd.htm

EE

I have listened to several CDPs, (but none have been in my setup) since i'm on a hunt for a designiated CDP. I'm kinda waiting for my upgraded ACT-3 to return to see if using the new DACs will quell my upgraditis for a while. But the CDPs I have looked at have been...

$900-$1100 (I know this is more then you wanted to spend...)

Exposure 2010 CDP

Arcam DiVA 82

Musical Fidelity a3 (nice sound...horrible looks IMO)

Creek CD43mk2 (has been rated fairly good, but have not hear it myself)

600 & Below

Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000

Heart CD6000

Rotel RCD-1070 or RCD-02

Just a few ideas 9.gif Good luck!

-Dave

PS: I agree that the Theta players are GREAT, but they are very expensive and have now moved away from stand alone CDPs 8.gif

I am with Randy on this. The latest 24bit technology doesnt make up for a cheaper version with medicore power supplies and op amps. I A-B'd the 18bit Planet against other sub 1k 24bit machines. Some where offered to me at cost. The Planet was NOT displaced.

As used orginal Planet at $325 is unbeatable. The other cost cutters bargain, Tjoeb 99, was not as good in my opinion although there is a lot to be said about this little machine. Still, the Planet is built like a tank.

IF going used with cost in mind, it's the best option if looking for music in digital

kh

Heart 6000 with the right tubes. I'm using Telefunken.

My Rega Planet 2000 lasted 1 year and one month. It's been back to the shop 3 times. It has been in the shop since September. Still can't get it to work.

I would look at the original Rega if I was to buy another Rega.

Danny