New to forum, need first aid advice

KB Kanada

Greetings, I live near Toronto, Ontario. Apologies for long message. I recently moved my rarely used sound system from my basement at home to my garage at the cottage. The system is over 30 years old. The system consists of the receiver, a Pioneer VSX9300 and a newer average priced turntable and the older 5 disc CD player. The speakers are Klipsch (label attached). I am the furthest thing from an audiophile and purchased the system from a friend in some financial distress. When I first moved the system and set up the turntable the speakers would start to "hum" at approx. 3-4 or 10am on the volume dial. The CD would skip at higher volume. I called a local tv/stereo shop and they sent out a technician. I believe we solved the cd problem when he held the player up and balanced it with one hand we could increase volume no problem. I didn't have a chance to follow up on the final solution due to what happened next. When trying to eliminate the humming when playing the turntable he switched up some cables. When he increased volume smoke started billowing out of the back of one of the speakers. He had no explanation and ultimately left saying he will report back to shop and another technician more familiar will visit when back from holidays. Thank you for any feedback. IMG_5407.thumb.jpeg.4f648f70e1d1176cced9651273a19053.jpeg

Smoke?.....well something is open circuit now. A woofer voice coil perhaps.

Once sorted and fixed I personally would turn the speakers upside down. Get the mids and highs closer to ear level and get that bass horn up into the ceiling/wall corner. Just my $0.02. You may or may not like it but it is worth trying. IMHO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Is your garage heated? Those are some awful nice speakers to be in a garage. 

15 hours ago, babadono said:

Smoke?.....well something is open circuit now. A woofer voice coil perhaps.

Once sorted and fixed I personally would turn the speakers upside down. Get the mids and highs closer to ear level and get that bass horn up into the ceiling/wall corner. Just my $0.02. You may or may not like it but it is worth trying. IMHO.

Some call it a man cave haha. There is a TV and a well stocked fridge! Yes, the garage is heated in the winter. I maintain a temperature of about 10 C (50 F). Thank you for all your comments. Hopefully the new tech gets out this week. 

Smoke = heat = short = fire at some point

find it and fix it.

TT needs a ground wire to the pr-amp for hum.

and must be plugged into the preamp

Rip your CDs to a Network hard drive and play from there.

The mid horns need to be at ear level

how you get there IDK

Putting it under the woofer needs to happen

2 shelves ?

Not sure what effect -20c has on speakers, but why find out ?

While trouble shooting previously a sound technician suggested the humming could just be the volume vibrating the turntable. We tried relocating turntable further on 4 “foot” vibration pads. This was not successful. That technician made the suggestion to turn the speakers upside down as has been suggested in this thread.

1 hour ago, KB Kanada said:

While trouble shooting previously a sound technician suggested the humming could just be the volume vibrating the turntable. We tried relocating turntable further on 4 “foot” vibration pads. This was not successful. That technician made the suggestion to turn the speakers upside down as has been suggested in this thread.

Ground loop or something. Definitely, a ground wire needed with turntable. There is a pinned topic in the tech/ restoration subforum for trouble shooting.

Yes, the CD issue was caused by the speaker audio vibrating the wall which the CD player was attached to.  The

solution would be to either detach your speaker stand from the wall and make it freestanding but secure or

vice versa, putting both the CD play and turntable on a stand NOT connected to the wall.

As has already been suggested, the turntable needs to be grounded. Usually, turntables have a screw or other

point of contact to attach a wire to. That wire is then connected to your preamp, amp, receiver, whatever, which

typically has a ground screw as well. This should eliminate your hum.

I'm mystified as to what caused your speaker to smoke, but I'm guessing it was 60Hz hum. You should have heard some

awful noise which preceded your speaker's demise. A simple voltmeter test of each driver of the affected speaker

will tell you which driver in the cabinet went belly up. A good technician, knowing what already happened, will test the

output of the amp/receiver without a speaker connected to verify there is good output. That can be done with a simple voltmeter.

Please report back with the technician's findings.