New speaker question La Scala ???

gregc729

Ok folks this is my first post My brother bought a locker and found these in there Klipsch La Scala There a little dinged up But I guess they can be re-finished Can anyone tell me are they just subs or are the a full range speaker I am running 2 Carver mono block amps 550 WPC There in North Carolina I’m in Florida Worth the trip to get them Any help would really be great guysAttachment.thumb.jpeg.bcad85448522a98746cee556a6bb7208.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

• Like 1

Kinda thought that from looking at pictures. So there is a sub in these boxes and the head unit with the tweeter and mid-range are missing. I have seen pictures of folks building or modifying the cabinets. Building a box for the bottom of the base bin and put there mids in it. And build a box for the top to house the horns. Wonder if its worth it in the long run to make the trip.

Can someone tell me the height of the top hats? I'm going to build them and put all original speakers and cross over in each speaker. I know the boxs has to be 2 foot wide and 2.6 deep But I need the height to accommodate the tweeter and horn. Thanks In Advance folks.

Edited by gregc729
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 3:22 PM, gregc729 said:

Can anyone tell me are they just subs or are the a full range speaker

Well....  neither really.

As I think you now know, there is the top half that's missing in the picture.  Be that as it may, these are more of a 'mid-bass' unit than subwoofer.

Cool thing with them, once setup nicely, they can/will reach out and viscerally punch you in the chest BUT they won't shake the foundation of your home as they won't go that low.

Here's an idea for  you.  If you can swing this to happen, it will walk all over the sound you'd get taking them back to stock with the top half sitting on them.  

2jubscala.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, Coytee said:

As I think you now know, there is the top half that's missing in the picture.  Be that as it may, these are more of a 'mid-bass' unit than subwoofer.

Cool thing with them, once setup nicely, they can/will reach out and viscerally punch you in the chest BUT they won't shake the foundation of your home as they won't go that low.

Here's an idea for  you.  If you can swing this to happen, it will walk all over the sound you'd get taking them back to stock with the top half sitting on them.  

2jubscala.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:03 AM, Coytee said:

2jubscala.jpg

Hi Sir Thank you for the idea. Do you have access to the rear of the speakers? This would make life so much easier?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gregc729 said:

Hi Sir Thank you for the idea. Do you have access to the rear of the speakers? This would make life so much easier?

You mean like a picture of the backside?  I don't have a picture of this speaker however, if that's what you're asking, here is a picture of mine (single piece unit verses the two piece pictured above).  and I have the same top horn sitting on it but you have the top section of the LaScala in-between.

Backside.thumb.jpg.f6db98cea3245228570030a75166fb49.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OO1 said:

he's thinking the Lascal's woofer access panel is in the back like a CW   , he does not realise  that the woofer panel in on the bottom of the cabinet 

That crossed my mind too....and I deleted it presuming he knew.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  Coytee is onto something.  A lot of it depends on what you listen to.  That would help us point you a bit.  Klipsch just came out with the Heritage line of bass bins and you could go two-way or even attach a tweeter up top of the exposed horn me thinks.  Maybe your handy dandy w/a table saw and want to build your own tops.  Just throwin it into the mix since life lives in the mid-range.  Way too many decisions for me.  lol  I'm done and soooo not geekish.  :)