Aric Audio 300B amplifier

Shakeydeal

I started a thread in tubes last week about the impending arrival. Well it landed yesterday and it deserves a new thread.

I was a little apprehensive about 8 watts. I've never owned anything so measly. Well I couldn't have been more wrong about that. This thing has balls for days along with the delicacy that the 300B is known for. I only got to listen for about an hour last night, but wow, very impressive. I'm sure much of this performance can be attributed to Aric's design and his overbuilt power supply. Glad to be in the DHT camp now. I will post more about how it compares to the PP EL84 amp I have been using after I've had more listening time.

In the pic below, the PS is on the rack behind the amp, tethered with two umbilical cables.

IMG_1246.jpeg

• Like 9

On 9/28/2023 at 6:02 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I started a thread in tubes last week about the impending arrival. Well it landed yesterday and it deserves a new thread.

I was a little apprehensive about 8 watts. I've never owned anything so measly. Well I couldn't have been more wrong about that. This thing has balls for days along with the delicacy that the 300B is known for. I only got to listen for about an hour last night, but wow, very impressive. I'm sure much of this performance can be attributed to Aric's design and his overbuilt power supply. Glad to be in the DHT camp now. I will post more about how it compares to the PP EL84 amp I have been using after I've had more listening time.

In the pic below, the PS is on the rack behind the amp, tethered with two umbilical cables.

IMG_1246.jpeg

congratulations!  beautiful amps!  can't wait to hear more of your impressions.

Just a quick update.

I did some serious listening over the weekend and I'm very happy with the amp. As good as my other Aric Audio EL84 PP amp is, and it is very good, this one takes everything to another level. Highs are silky and extended. Cymbals have a natural shimmer. The dynamics and bass depth and articulation are two things that surprised me most. Many mention that these are weak spots for low power SETs, but not the case here. These two areas have improved over any amp I've used with the Lascalas, and that includes a couple of 100 watt PP amps. Aric says it's the PS, transformers, and a couple of tricks he uses that Western Electric did. 

Of course the midrange is exactly what you expect from a good 300B amp. Lots of texture and detail in the human voice that makes it sound more "real".

As mentioned by @doodlebum above, as long as I stay with horns, this amp is end game for me too.

• Like 5

For me though, I quit saying endgame years ago.😀

Understood. And I know that making such a remark is a slippery slope and I would never do so lightly. That's why I qualified it by saying "as long as I stay with horns". If I get the itch to change up speakers, all bets are off. But this is the most expensive amplifier I have ever purchased and to go beyond it's capabilities (with the appropriate speaker) would be beyond my financial prudence. 

So I guess it's a wait and see venture. But my wife would roll her eyes and say "suuuuure"..... if she heard me say "I'm done"......

• Like 2

I'm guessing the term "endgame" in the  audiophile world actually translates to around six months to maybe 4-5 years? We must give pause at least outwardly, to the insatiable desire to get to that next level by using this rationale. The wife says there's two holes in daddy's head where all the money goes.

Shakey;  I feel you on that mid rich dynamic range on the 300. I have the WE's in mine which really shine after 2-300 hours. I look forward to streaming jazz every night. I almost never watch TV anymore.

Actually, I thought the gold lion tubes were really nice and without reinserting them for comparative analysis it's difficult to say. $1500 is a substantial (for me) investment for two power tubes. I am very happy with the WE's but I don't think they are absolutely necessary. If one considers the 40,000 hour estimated lifespan, it's not that bad in the long run though.