Asking prices on used Heritage Speakers

Robert Gervais

You would think the price of used Heritage speakers would continue to drop with age, but instead they follow the rise in new Heritage pricing.

So it appears sellers see a relative pricing between new and used i.e., When Heresy IIs were say $2k new, they might sell for $500 used.

Now that Heresy IVs are $3.2k, used Heresies regardless of version, might sell for $800. The used prices I chose are not actual but purely

for example.

I believe that  used  heritage speakers are reflecting  their true value . For many years they had been wrongly  viewed by some as ancient , old school technology , but recently , people  are taking another look , and showing renewed respect. Respect is what they deserve , as many benefits are to be found in these horn loaded speakers .  . Competing manufacturers , tend to offer only paper cone “type” drivers in their products , these  type of speakers can’t fully compete with the many  desirable  characteristics that a good horn loaded speaker can deliver on. Many people are fine with  paying a bit of a premium  for the upgraded clarity  (realism)dynamics and the efficiency that  a good horn loaded speaker can deliver . Klipsch heritage is a unique item , finely built, made in USA , well worth their price🤓

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tom05 said:

I believe that  used  heritage speakers are reflecting  their true value . For many years they had been wrongly  viewed by some as ancient , old school technology , but recently , people  are taking another look , and showing renewed respect. Respect is what they deserve , as many benefits are to be found in these horn loaded speakers .  . Competing manufacturers , tend to offer only paper cone “type” drivers in their products , these  type of speakers can’t fully compete with the many  desirable  characteristics that a good horn loaded speaker can deliver on. Many people are fine with  paying a bit of a premium  for the upgraded clarity  (realism)dynamics and the efficiency that  a good horn loaded speaker can deliver . Klipsch heritage is a unique item , finely built, made in USA , well worth their price🤓

Totally agree. That’s basically what I was trying to say. 

• Like 1

It appears to me that Heritage prices fall for 20 years or so, then they start to rise again.  By the time the speakers are 30 years old, their prices may have come back to their original selling price, which still seems low compared with the current price of the same model.

For example, in 2006, I bought a 32-year-old pair of 1974 La Scalas.  Asking Price:  $1400CAD  

Price Paid:  $1200CAD

Original 1974 Price:  $1050USD

Approximate Current La Scala AL5 Price:  $17,000CAD

Does anyone else have some examples of Heritage Series speakers depreciation, followed by appreciation?

• 1 month later...

When looking at the price of a pair of used Heritage Series speakers, some will ask, "What else can you get in this performance/quality level at around this price?"  At that point, they may look like a bargain.  When I was thinking over the purchase of my first La Scalas, I consulted with an audiophile buddy whose opinion I respected, and that's what he asked me.  I bought them the day after I spotted them, a month later I discovered this forum, and then the madness began, lol.

In a competitive market, if speaker prices in general are rising, Heritage speaker prices will rise with them (a rising tide floats all boats).

• Like 1