Klipsch ported Heresy

DLStryker

For a short time, Klipsch offered a ported version of the Heresy.... or should say, very similar to the Heresy.  It was taller and two round ports in the front at the bottom.  I am not talking about the industrial version of the Heresy.  Can anyone tell me the model name of this speaker?

I think you are thinking of the Tangent 400. It was a Heresy 2 in taller ported box. There was a Tangent 500 too, using a passive radiator instead of ports.

The later series Tangent 4000/5000 are the real sleepers. They had 4 ohm woofers and noticeably better bass as a result. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DLStryker said:

For a short time, Klipsch offered a ported version of the Heresy.... or should say, very similar to the Heresy. 

the tangent larger 400 series,  the cabinets were  made with fiber board ,  the cabs were not veneered and there was use of vinyl  

If one had a pair of Heresy IIs (mdf cabinets) that were in bad physical shape and wanted to make new boxes, the logical thing to do would be to build some Tangent 400 cabinets with some good plywood. It wouldn't need to be russian/baltic birch, that might be ideal. Use the baffle for a template for driver placement and move all the parts over.

ALL parts are the same. The pcb crossover board is even printed as a Heresy II. You will have better bass and the drivers will be closer to ear level. For me it's a no brainer... and other than the cabinet, it's still a Klipsch, by design.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DLStryker said:

Cabinet probably resonated pretty bad??

I had the T-500 years back while the cabinet quality and construction was cringeworthy they actually did sound quite good, much like a forte 1 but with slightly less bass output. I cranked them up pretty loud a lot and never noticed any issues with the cabinets. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I had the T-500 years back while the cabinet quality and construction was cringeworthy they actually did sound quite good, much like a forte 1 but with slightly less bass output. I cranked them up pretty loud a lot and never noticed any issues with the cabinets. 

The same here.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marvel said:

If one had a pair of Heresy IIs (mdf cabinets) that were in bad physical shape and wanted to make new boxes, the logical thing to do would be to build some Tangent 400 cabinets with some good plywood. It wouldn't need to be russian/baltic birch, that might be ideal. Use the baffle for a template for driver placement and move all the parts over.

ALL parts are the same. The pcb crossover board is even printed as a Heresy II. You will have better bass and the drivers will be closer to ear level. For me it's a no brainer... and other than the cabinet, it's still a Klipsch, by design.

That is exactly why I was asking.  My HII's need the cabinets rebuilt.  I thought the logical answer would be to build Tamgent 400 cabinets.  Does anyone have the dimension/port specs of the Tangent 400?  Was the mid/tweeter inside the same air-space of the cabinet as the woofer?

4 hours ago, DLStryker said:

That is exactly why I was asking.  My HII's need the cabinets rebuilt.  I thought the logical answer would be to build Tangent 400 cabinets.  Does anyone have the dimension/port specs of the Tangent 400?  Was the mid/tweeter inside the same air-space of the cabinet as the woofer?

The cabs themselves are 35" tall on a 1/2" base, 15" wide, and 13-5/8" deep without the grill.

I believe the spacing on the tweeter/squawker/woofer is the same distance from the top of the cab as on the HII.

The center of the ports should be 9-1/2" from the bottom of the cab and 3-1/2" from the sides.

I've seen the ports listed as 3" diameter with 5" length which should tune the enclosure close to 40Hz with the K-24-K driver.

IIRC the stock cabs are only 5/8" thick particle board so if you wanted to keep the same internal volume then you would need to expand each dimension appropriately if using  3/4" ply.

The cabs are a single internal volume with no separate chamber for the tweeter/mids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I've seen the ports listed as 3" diameter with 5" length

I thought Ben told me his were just the depth of the front baffle, but in this pic off the net they definitely have a longer port.

And... just use your existing baffle for the pattern of  what to cut out. If you don't have Heresy IIs, it won't work

tangent_400.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I thought Ben told me his were just the depth of the front baffle, but in this pic off the net they definitely have a longer port.

And... just use your existing baffle for the pattern of  what to cut out. If you don't have Heresy IIs, it won't work

tangent_400.jpg

Yes, I have Heresy II's.  I am going to recap the crossovers while I'm at it.  I will make my cabinets from 3/4" with internal bracing as well.

8 hours ago, DLStryker said:

I will make my cabinets from 3/4" with internal bracing as well.

you have 2 options  ,  

-the T500 is a sealed. cab + 5 inches  taller  , down to 35 Hz  with 2 KD-13 passive woofers.

-the T-400 is shorter by 5 inches  , you have to get the ports right , and it only goes down to 38 Hz

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

tangent_400.jpg

It's possible that the port tubes were removed on Ben's T-400.

I think that a port the depth of the baffle on those would cause a really large peak in the response around 75Hz.