Digitalize my vinyl

NOSValves

Hey guys, I need some insight into a reasonable way to digitalize my vinyl collection. Nothing but time on my hands for a couple months. I did some of this 15 years ago but have no idea how I did it back then...Old Timers is a *****!  I know I used something other than Audacity but darned if I can remember what... I read that Vinyl Studio is nice and $50 for the pro version doesn't seem crazy.   I have a  Focusfite Scarlett 2I2 analog digital converter.... but no software or details of my best course to get it going. 

So where is the Klipsch world on this?

Thanks Craig

Craig,

I am assuming you have a phono preamp to feed into the Scarlett.

I usually record a whole side in one pass, then split each song out. I've used audacity but always hated it. I usually use my DAW sofware,, that I use for reading me but it's a bit pricey for this job.

I've not looked at Vinyl Studio before... gonna have a look.

• Like 1

I had a look at the Vinyl Studio site. The interface isn't glamorous or slick looking, but the software is up to date with output types, etc.

$50 for the pro version is right u my alley. No subscriptions is another plus. I think I only transferred one album in the last 15 yeara..years... however, this wouldn't be a great loss/write off if is didn't work, and it would be easier that me using the tools I have.

By the way, welcome back! Those of us still here are still loons...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

I had a look at the Vinyl Studio site. The interface isn't glamorous or slick looking, bt the software is up to Dae with output types, etc.

$50 for the pro version is right u my alley. No subscriptions is another plus. I think I only transferred one album in the last 15 yeara..years... however, this wouldn't be a great loss/write off if is didn't work, and it would be easier that me using the tools I have.

By the way, welcome back! Those of us still here are still loons...

Marvel,

Thanks for the welcome and nice that some of the loons are still around here! I thought Mark Deneen was back hanging here? 

No need to spend anything to try it before you buy it. Not too many differences to the PRO version and you can try the standard for free for an album or two.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

you(and many others) left.

Is that your way of laying a guilt trip on me....well it worked LOL!! A little birdie told me way more to it than that...I'll refrain from talking further about it since I have no first hand knowledge.

I had to build a little load-box for my cartridge, 47K CC resistors and 100pF styrene caps.  After that, straight into the interface.  24/96 into the computer, whatever RIAA curve i can find.  
Audacity has one, works pretty good. 
Ardour is a full DAW and a little more complicated to use, but there's a pretty good RIAA filter with a few choices and some other EQs and things.

Before I built the load box, things were so noisy, think it was all static crackle.

49 minutes ago, DirtyErnie said:

Ardour is a full DAW and a little more complicated to use, but there's a pretty good RIAA filter with a few choices and some other EQs and things.

I didn't know that, but I have Harrison's Mixbus32C, which is/was originally based on Ardour. I'll have to see is Harrison kept that in there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, the Scarlett versions are all pretty much ok, and probably better than what you will get off of your LPs. The higher the sampling rate, the better it will be, but your file sizes can get really big. You really can't go wrong with any of the Focusrite equipment,

Do you use Windows or Apple OS? Make sure you have the correct drivers. They can be downloaded from the Focusrite website under support, then downloads.

• Like 1

Holy cow!  ☺️  Craig going digital. ▶️  I remember you scolding the piss out of me years ago for that.    Imagine feeding D to A audio into your NBS and VRDs.  All I can say is it won't hurt them.  It can sound really awesome actually.  🤣  👍⏭️