Troubles with the sound of my new La Scalas

Bhai

Hey guys!

So I bought the La Scalas, but there's something not so great about the sound and I'm trying to figure out whats happening. I'm using the PrimaLuna Prologue Premium as my integrated amp.

I've had a Cornwall that I've enjoyed for almost 4 years now. But when I compare the sound of the La Scalas the magic just seems to be missing. The vocals are not forward and magical as they used to be. The sound stage is great. But it almost feels a bit too clinical and lacks some warmth. And yes the low end of the bass also is bothering me I guess, but that was expected given the La Scalas don't go below 50Hz whereas the Cornwall goes down to 34Hz. I am struggling so badly for words when it comes to what I'm experiencing! But it's not just me, my wife also feels that the Cornwalls were better! Which is crazy so I'm trying to figure what happened.

Here's a couple of theories I have:

Amp pairing: Could it be that I just need a much better amp? That maybe the one I have is not doing the speakers justice?

Low end: Or maybe I'm just reacting very badly to the low end being capped at 50Hz instead of 34Hz? Many of the people who recommended the La Scalas also recommended getting a sub. But looks like getting a tube amp which has a separate out for the subs is going to be quite an investment.

Also it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. I've moved the Cornwalls to another room so will be a real pain to try and do an A/B test just to see if I'm tripping or what. Maybe my expectations were too high.. Or more likely maybe I'm just going through a rough patch in my relationship to music and sound.

Please do share your wisdom, it always helps! :)

• Like 2

it's your mind...

you've probably gotten used to the thick sound of a direct radiating woofer configuration and now that you are hearing clean superb bass, you don't like it or you find it lacking for some reason.

if you're happy with the Cornwall, then just plug them in and be happy as a clam.

if you want a much better midrange and much better harmonic distortion performance, work with the La Scala.

• Like 3

Not sure if you have CW IVs or earlier models. But the IV is indeed very close to the lascala in midrange performance. The bass of any cornwall will go deeper than the LS, but as schu points out, the LS has greater bass quality. You should tell us what version of each speaker you have.

• Like 1

Wow, this sounds like my story. I had the Cornwall 4 and upgraded to the La Scala AL-5 a few months ago. I also struggled initially with the La Scala's sound – hearing aspects I liked better, but also some things I didn't liked at all that made me initially think the Cornwall 4 sounded better then the La Scala. The fact that my Cornwalls are soon going to my brother while the La Scalas stay here indicates my perspective has shifted.

May I ask which Cornwall you had before, and which La Scala you have now? Are the speakers entirely new?

• Like 4

I have the Cornwall III and the La Scala AL5 (brand new)!

Haha already feeling quite relieved... I totally agree about the super clean bass... And honestly I do struggle many times after spending big money - usually starts out with deep regrets and ultimately settles in pure joy 🤣 So yeah could totally be my mind...

What do you guys think about the amp? Is the one I have okay or should I get a better one? Should I try to get one with an output for a subwoofer?

The PrimaLuna should be fine...

I've loved both of the LS pair I've had, and missed them as soon as they were gone. I am glad, however that my older son is enjoying the second pair.

And to be clear, they have bass below 50Hz, but it is rolling off. Not so good if you like dance/trance or bass heavy synthetic tunes.

I had older LS, and adjusted the mids down 2-3db, which, for my ears made the tonal balance sound better. But that's my preference.

I personally have not liked the Cornwalls, but haven't heard anything newer than the IIs. The bass seemed bloated. But that's me...

Give the LS some time. Try some late night low level listening.

1 hour ago, Bhai said:

I have the Cornwall III and the La Scala AL5 (brand new)!

Haha already feeling quite relieved... I totally agree about the super clean bass... And honestly I do struggle many times after spending big money - usually starts out with deep regrets and ultimately settles in pure joy 🤣 So yeah could totally be my mind...

What do you guys think about the amp? Is the one I have okay or should I get a better one? Should I try to get one with an output for a subwoofer?

First of all, congratulations on your new speakers. You made an excellent choice. However, you've already identified a reason why the speakers might not sound optimal yet—they are brand new. Give them 100 hours to break in. It's quite likely that this will make a difference.

Several factors could be at play now:

- They need time to break in.
- It takes time to get used to the different sound (this played a significant role for me).
- You probably haven't experimented much with placement, toe-in, etc. (I had more difficulty finding the right placement for the La Scala than with the Cornwall).
- The amplifier-speaker combination might not be ideal (this was a reason why it didn't sound optimal for me).
- Your own emotions and doubts can influence your perception (I certainly experienced this too).

In the first week, I was convinced my Cornwall 4 was slightly better than the La Scala. A few weeks later, with a different amp that matched better, speakers better positioned, accustomed to the La Scala's sound, I retested Cornwall vs La Scala. I immediately noticed how (relatively) tame the Cornwall sounded—less dynamic, less live feel, small kick drum, voices thinner. It was as if I were listening to a much smaller speaker. The Cornwall 4 seemed to disappear better and sounded a bit fresher, but overall, the La Scala was truly the superior speaker.

Give it some time for breaking in. Experiment with speaker placement. If possible, try different amplifiers.

Edit:I forgot to mention, you're accustomed to a much fuller bass, which adds a certain warmth to the music. I experienced this too. The AL-5 simply has a thinner bass. It took me some time to get used to it, but when I connected the CW4 again recently, I found the bass to be excessively present. I immediately missed the dry, quick bass of the La Scala.

So pls get some time to get used to the sound of the lascala. 

• Like 3

I agree with Flevoman on all but one point. He's right, the LaScala need time to get used to the performance. Both go hand in hand. The ear has the valuable gift that the bass treble balance becomes more and more even after a few days. You will learn to appreciate the La Scala bass psychoacoustically. In the end it is much more information than with a direct radiator. The La Scala are as big as an elephant (half an elephant) but when it comes to placement they are mimosas. Just a cm here or 2 cm there makes a difference....once you have familiarised yourself with the La Scalas, let's say three weeks. Only then will fine tuning really make sense and it will be productive and worthwhile. The point where I don't quite agree with Flevoman is that you have a nice amp. If you want to change, I would do it after six months at the earliest. Otherwise you'll have a mishmash of new variables that will be irritating.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

LS were intended to be a Stadium speaker, not a HiFi utilization

Just because the La Scala was first utilized for sound reinforcement doesn’t mean it wasn’t for HiFi utilization and as a matter of fact PWK advocated it’s use between his Klipschorns in a 3 speaker array where it was used in the most critical position as a center channel speaker in a HiFi System for the home.

miketn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/27/2023 at 12:42 PM, Bhai said:

Should I try to get one with an output for a subwoofer?

Some subwoofers have speaker level inputs that can be used with your amplifier, those that don't and only have L &  R rca inputs can still be used with a speaker to line level adapter. Russound makes one (ADP=1.2 $40) and there are many very inexpensive ones aimed at car audio that will work fine.

PS give the LS more time and follow some of the suggestions above.