RP-600M to Forte IV?

ecj44

Currently I have my music room set up with a pair of RP-600m and Klipsch sub. Paired with a Yamaha R-N803, 100 wpc receiver. I am kicking around upgrading the speakers and I really like the looks of the Forte and the thought of ditching the sub. So, my question to the group is, will I hear a noticeable improvement switching from the RP-600m and sub to the Forte IV? As I said, my current setup sounds really good to me, but curious if the speakers would make a noticeable improvement. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ecj44 said:

but curious if the speakers would make a noticeable improvement. 

it wont just be a noticeable improvement , but a major one ,  any of the 4 generations of the Forte  will do  ,although the Forte III and IV are the most advanced 

• Like 2

There is a reason that the forte line has been the best-selling Klipsch Heritage model since its inception, back in 1985.  What sub are you using?  I have owned forte II for over 30 years, and now own forte IV.  From a music standpoint, a sub is not really required unless you are looking for the lowest octave in organ music, etc.  The forte bass is very punchy, and although it struggles below 35-38HZ, it almost sounds an octave lower due to no distortion.   If the speakers will be dual use for movies etc. it is still debatable as to whether a sub is needed, unless you are looking for sub terranean bass.  Purchase the forte IV and you will be set for the next 30 plus years.  Do not discount a nice used pair.  I bought a month-old perfect condition with boxes and inserts, etc. for 2K less than new.

• Like 1

I recently moved my RP160m into the living room to compare to my Cornwall IVs just for fun. The 160s are good and enjoyable in their right but the size of the soundstage and instruments within are life like in scale with the Cornwalls. In the 160s they are much smaller as if a doll sized drum kit is being played, even at lower volume. The Corns depth of soundstage is also much greater as well as the detail in the mids. If the mids of the RP160 would be like sitting an apartment over a busy street at night, the Cornwalls are like opening the window and sticking your head outside. Then there is the dynamic slam you get from drum hits, turns of phrase and guitar riffs. I’ve heard the Forte is very similar in this manner. I sometimes think I should’ve just gone with Fortes because the Cornwalls are massive. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Klipschtastic said:

I recently moved my RP160m into the living room to compare to my Cornwall IVs just for fun. The 160s are good and enjoyable in their right but the size of the soundstage and instruments within are life like in scale with the Cornwalls. In the 160s they are much smaller as if a doll sized drum kit is being played, even at lower volume. The Corns depth of soundstage is also much greater as well as the detail in the mids. If the mids of the RP160 would be like sitting an apartment over a busy street at night, the Cornwalls are like opening the window and sticking your head outside. Then there is the dynamic slam you get from drum hits, turns of phrase and guitar riffs. I’ve heard the Forte is very similar in this manner. I sometimes think I should’ve just gone with Fortes because the Cornwalls are massive. 

Think they both excel at a big sound and impact.  The drum kit sounds phenomenal on the fortes. In particular the Toms just thunder. Well the kick drum too. All of it.  Think it just comes down to room size.  Cw is much bigger so bigger sound.  Deeper bass.  But the fortes just pinch you in the gut with bass. In the best possible way.

Op you buy the fortes yet or what? 

54 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Probably right, he will be a happy camper. For many if not most, the Forte is the sweet spot with regards to the number of rooms it would be ideal for. Not too large, not too small...

And surely 

On 12/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, ecj44 said:

...So, my question to the group is, will I hear a noticeable improvement switching from the RP-600m and sub to the Forte IV?

The answer is, "Yes."

On 12/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, ecj44 said:

As I said, my current setup sounds really good to me, but curious if the speakers would make a noticeable improvement. 

I still think what I thought before though:

On 12/12/2023 at 9:31 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Am I missing something or are you comparing a $250 speaker to a $5,000 speaker? 

Do any car analogies come to mind? 🤔 {Note: I'm being rhetorical :)}

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 5:16 PM, Dr Morbius said:

That Fiat to Ferrari comparison is pretty good, although I also have the 600’s and love them!

Agreed. I have the 600s paired with a Klipsch 12” sub and they are really good. I had a hard time believing speakers could sound a lot better, which is why I asked the question and started this thread. The Fortes are better, larger soundstage, better midrange and no need for a sub. But those 600s are great speakers. I kept them and I am using them in another setup. 

• Like 2