What integrated amps have good bass? For Cornwall 4's (NEWBIE)

MT1086

I have bought some Cornwall 4s and I'm on a Yamaha R-N1000a amp 100x2 at 8ohms. I tried a cheap Fosi with a DAC and a 3050 NAD. Out of those 3 the Fosi had the best bass but it wasn't that clean. The Yamaha has some and the NAD had none. Im looking at an Onkyo 8270. I like the Bluetooth and sub-out. A HDMI would be nice too. Also considering the R-N2000A but its 4k. My budget is about 3k. I really don't want a tubed amp either. 

Thanks! 

Edited by MT1086

• MT1086 changed the title to What integrated amps have good bass? For Cornwall 4's (NEWBIE)
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, no responses since Christmas. I also have Cornwall IVs and so far have tried. 
Marantz PM7000n

marantz 40n

Marantz nr1200

Harman Kardon 430/730 (1976)

Yamaha rx450 (1990)

sansui qr1500 (1972)

The Pm7000n was clean sounding and had nice top end sparkle but the bass wasn’t great. It was kind of soft on the leading edge, not real punchy. NR1200 is similar but the d max feature helps some. The 40n had better and tighter bass. Very controlled and decent punch but pricey. 
The old Harman Kardon is where it’s at for most older rock and metal. Bass is weightier than any of the new stuff. It’s not quite as tight as the 40n but I like it. I actually quit using my sub with the HK receivers. The old Yamaha RX 450 is really good too. It has a bass extension button which is kind of like loudness but only for the bass. I use it sometimes when I feel the need. Honestly, I think most of these amps sound similar enough overall. Most of the differences that I have noticed are between how well they handle the bass since the Cornwalls can sometimes need a little boost to really hit stride. Maybe take a look at the rotel a11 tribute. It’s $650 at Crutchfield on sale and it has a bass boost function as well.  I’ve even considered the Cambridge and Audiolab integrateds but I’m afraid I won’t like them for everything because they lack tone controls. I can listen to about half my music with tone controls set to flat but I like having the option to boost bass and cut treble if needed. I would also recommend the Marantz model 50. I think it’s the same as the 40n but all analog. 

28 minutes ago, Klipschtastic said:

Wow, no responses since Christmas.

It is an understatement to say that this place, sadly, has changed for the worse in the past few years. 

I had a Marantz PM8006. I wasn't overly impressed with its bass either.
+1 on the HK 730 Twin. I have had one for a few years now. 

On 12/25/2023 at 9:19 PM, MT1086 said:

My budget is about 3k. I really don't want a tubed amp either. 

The Yamaha A-S 1200 is a perfect  fit with the Cornwall IV   ,   numerous Cornwall IV owners use the A-S1200 or A-S2200 with the best of results 

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s1200/index.html

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It is an understatement to say that this place, sadly, has changed for the worse in the past few years. 

I had a Marantz PM8006. I wasn't overly impressed with its bass either.
+1 on the HK 730 Twin. I have had one for a few years now. 

I too had the Marantz PM8006. I ran it with a set of Chorus II. I didn’t care for it at all. 

15 minutes ago, Klipschtastic said:

I’ve had my eye on that one as well. Accessories 4less has them for $1900. I think they’re refurbished. 

yes , Accessories 4less are refurbished amps ,   it could be an open box , a customer return  , repaired units , who knows  ?    these amps pop up on Ebay for 2000 $ from time to time  , sealed brand new  , you just have to keep an eye out for the right deal 

is this for 2 channel audio or ?          

having been in the 2 channel side of the audio hobby for over 20 yrs ( recently got out ), i think you could do a lot better than a receiver with the Cornwalls

have you gone to any other sites besides the Accessories4less ?

25 minutes ago, Klipschtastic said:

What are you running with them now?  

I don’t have them anymore. I do miss them though. I think they are the best direct radiator speaker in the Klipsch home speaker category. The amps that sounded best on the Chorus were a B&K ST-140, Yamaha M-85 and a B&K Ref4420. Most will disagree, but the more quality power, the better on Chorus. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Most will disagree, but the more quality power, the better on Chorus. 

a amp with good amperage.....a amp that takes control of the speaker.       not saying it cant, but a receiver isnt going to do that.         to me, it just doesnt make sense to spend really good money on speakers and then run a receiver on it and then wonder why the sound isnt very good .

On 12/25/2023 at 6:19 PM, MT1086 said:

I have bought some Cornwall 4s and I'm on a Yamaha R-N1000a amp 100x2 at 8ohms. I tried a cheap Fosi with a DAC and a 3050 NAD. Out of those 3 the Fosi had the best bass but it wasn't that clean.

Thanks! 

if your ear is really tuned into what 'clean' is (many people do not), you're not going to find it in a Cornwall IV... the CWIV has output in the LF region, not cleanliness. It's a case of More not being better... but that is a subjective choice for each listener.

Direct Radiating large format drivers have a lot of Distortion...

• 1 month later...

Good high end avr's have discrete amps and can perform as  well as most amps of a similar price range. A higher power amp will only benefit if the speaker can't reach the desired SPL .  The sensitivity of the Cornwall is over 100 .  A speaker of 89 db sensitivity can reach 99 db with just 50 watt.  I have heard Cornwall on low power tube amps and sound good.  Maybe this amp hunt, won't solve the problem?

• Like 1

So for me, the Cornwalls run the best with the Hegel H90. It can be found used between 800-1100. Bass to me sounded very clean and I didn't feel like I needed a subwoofer anymore honestly. Highly suggest that. But I want to upgrade from that, and gotta see how either a Mcintosh, Luxman, NAD or the Hegel H390 does. Obviously the better Hegel will keep the same characteristics, but gotta see. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 7:19 PM, MT1086 said:

I have bought some Cornwall 4s and I'm on a Yamaha R-N1000a amp 100x2 at 8ohms. I tried a cheap Fosi with a DAC and a 3050 NAD. Out of those 3 the Fosi had the best bass but it wasn't that clean. The Yamaha has some and the NAD had none.

@MT1086  hasn't been back since, but for anyone else with a similar condition, I say double-check your speaker wire polarity.

• Like 1