Klipsch La Scala purchase with Mid and Tweeter driver issues

12 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

New question.  What are thoughts on running new wire from the drivers to the XO?  Any benefit to that?  Any particular wire to use/avoid? Thanks in advance.

I see no real benefit unless damaged. 

• Like 1

So all drivers are working now.  My new K-77M diaphragm seems a little brighter/crisper than the old one in the other speaker.  Overall the speakers sound fine, but I'm not awestruck yet.  I think my JBLs sound punchier, for lack of a better word.  I recognize there are so many factors at play.  Maybe the AL XO will be the first thing to be upgraded, i.e. replaced.

I might wrap the K400 (over painters tape so I can later remove).  Seems like a controversial topic!  Before I do that, I recall there was a tip about putting a bead of silicone around something on the squawker, perhaps where the driver screws into the horn?  There is a thin red gasket there now, that seems pretty brittle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mycuff said:

Before I do that, I recall there was a tip about putting a bead of silicone around something on the squawker, perhaps where the driver screws into the horn?  There is a thin red gasket there now, that seems pretty brittle.

Don't use any silicone on the driver threads. The brittle/dried out washer can be replaced with a faucet/garden hose washer. Just make sure the hole in the washer isn't too small.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mycuff said:

Maybe the AL XO will be the first thing to be upgraded, i.e. replaced. 

JEM have a kit for the AL , no need to replace the crossover   if you want bass for the Lascala , no problem ,  klipsch will be introducing horn loaded subwoofers for the LS  by summer 2024  ,  

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

JEM have a kit for the AL, no need to replace the crossover.  

Yeah, maybe if my XOs were AA or AL-3.  I have no doubt replacing those 40 year old caps would make things better, and there are some who feel the AL XO is perfectly suited to the original drivers in my speakers.  Still, based on the vast majority of posts, that XO network does not get a lot of love.  I would always be wondering if I made the right choice when I could have just bought new and been done with it.   What XO is in your La Scala?  

2 hours ago, Mycuff said:

I have two subs.  And other stereo/quad gear not pictured.  What does your setup look like?

We never see that and I'm not sure anyone knows.  But we can show you where 60k+ posts are located at.  lol

I own a pair of JBL L100T's, also, that have been modified to T3's.  They are great sounding speakers and do a lot of things right...and definitely have more bass.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mycuff said:

Thought I would post a pic next to the JBLs, which can at least claim to be an inch taller.  

unnamed (2).jpg

Nice! I have the same models. They were pretty beat by the previous owner, and I took off the stapled grills. So many experiments, so little time. Here's a link to my journey.

So, is this the best $9.99 I ever spent?  I'm sorta feeling like yeah, it is.  I hooked up my sub last night, via speaker cables to and from the sub, and it was not awesome.    But this little LOC, intended for a car stereo subwoofer connection, arrived today.  Wow it actually delivers!  Is it really hi-fi?  I don't know and I don't care.  Now I can just focus on enjoying my La Scalas and not critique each song for a lack of bass.   You may think there is no way a 12"sub can keep up with these speakers, and that is certainly true, but at even moderately high volume the sub adds that punch I was missing.  

loc.jpg

• Like 3

I've ran a Sunfire HRS-12 (1000w with 12" woofer) for about 18 years now.  Bought it when I was the Sunfire rep and living in DFW.  It's been used with the Belle inspired clones I built years ago, plus with all the other speakers that have rolled through, and always added that nice low end those others never had.  Definitely makes listening to LS's and Belle's more tolerable when you have bass below 100hz.  Good for you!