Now I Know Why The Chief Refused to Make a Chorus III- He Already Did the 362-II

jjptkd

I've been living with the 362-II's for a little while now and they sound great. Someone said "they look like the CH-1 and 2 had a baby," I'd say they sound like it too. Now the reason I say these are basically Chorus III's is because if you take a close look at the parts list the tweeter and mid drivers are the same as in the Cornwall III and the mid horn is the same as the forte III. The woofer is the newer, updated k-48st very similar to the older Chorus models. Biggest difference between these and home models is the cabinet style and higher crossover points. These just maybe one of the best kept secrets in the Pro Klipsch line up selling at discount for quite a bit less than half the price of the new Cornwalls. 

• Like 3

I'll say the 362 doesn't play as low as a Chorus because the cabinet volume is smaller.

The 362s cost less than a Cornwall because adding veneer is an expensive add-on,

particularly labor-wise.

All that matters is that you enjoy them.

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Chorus III's 

I'm not sure a Chorus III would be commercially viable  , the Chorus is a great speaker , but is there a demand out there for a chest pounding, heavy bass speaker , yeah ,  I would go for it ,  

• Like 1

I was intrigued to see this post because it is directly related to the reason I joined this forum. 

I noticed that the Heritage Forte speakers are very similar in appearance to the Chorus II speakers, so I had been wondering if the Forte was the extension of the Chorus line. 

3 hours ago, MarkA said:

I was intrigued to see this post because it is directly related to the reason I joined this forum. 

I noticed that the Heritage Forte speakers are very similar in appearance to the Chorus II speakers, so I had been wondering if the Forte was the extension of the Chorus line. 

The Chorus when introduced replaced the Cornwall II.  The forte introduced in 1985, was the little brother to the Chorus.  The forte is the bestselling Klipsch model ever in terms of units sold.  The Chorus line was never brought back when discontinued in 1996 along with the forte II.  The reason being the Cornwall III & IV.  

28 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

True.  Is there a reason you pointed that out?

yes   John   , I was always under the impression that the Heresy sales outnumbered the Forte  ,   the H Model started in 1957 ,  that's  28 years of sales prior to the release of the Forte .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarkA said:

The original Forte (1985) was release before its siblings, the Chorus (1987) and the Quartet (1989).  So, it's more like a Forte line.  The Chorus was supposed to be a replacement for the Cornwall when that was discontinued for some years (1990 - 2006).  However, the Forte, Chorus, and Quartet were all discontinued and replaced by the Legend Series (KLF-10/20/30) around 1996-97.  The Cornwall III (2006) and later the Forte III were brought back for the modern Heritage line.

Edited by MMurg
Corrected date of Cornwall was discontinued
  • Like 3

What I heard back then was the KLF Legend series replaced the poorly selling Epic series that was out from 94 to 97. Here's what an old friend/rep wrote me about them early last year when we chatted about them and is pretty much what I heard from others.  Me personally, I like the Epics better. 

The V1 CF-3 were great after the corrective modifications were done - new ports and crossovers. Never heard any past V1. When I worked for Klipsch we had two nicknames for the line - the "Epic Failure" series and the "Complete Failure" line. There were so many mistakes made in the transition from engineering to manufacturing that most established Klipsch dealers wouldn't touch them even with corrections made. They had to blow out the line at huge discounts to discount sellers. They barely retained their dealer base by coming out with the Legend series, which they did very hastily, 9 mos from concept to first shipment. Those wound up saving the company. I have a pair of CF1 in the family room and a pair of KLF-20s that get rotated into my dedicated listening room.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MarkA said:

The Forte 2 go a bit lower than Chorus

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I'll say the 362 doesn't play as low as a Chorus because the cabinet volume is smaller.

The 362s cost less than a Cornwall because adding veneer is an expensive add-on,

particularly labor-wise.

I've had this style cabinet before and was able to compare them head to head with the Chorus 1 and they were very close. Chorus 1 rated down to 45hz and 362-II 54hz. 

Actual MSRP on new 362-II's is less than $1k under the new Cornwalls at $5800 they are just available at great discount. 

10 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have enjoyed the changes that I have made to my KP362 and the 362 II could stant the changes too. 

I have a pair of 301-II's at my MT home that I fully restored a few years ago and they are one of my favorite all time speakers. I had thought about maybe replacing them with these new 362's but after listening to them again while I was there I was reminded of just how good they sound and while I was unable to do a direct comparison I no longer felt the need to replace them either. I would list the changes but don't want to get this thread shut down. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MMurg said:

The original Forte (1985) was release before its siblings, the Chorus (1987) and the Quartet (1989).  So, it's more like a Forte line.  The Chorus was supposed to be a replacement for the Cornwall when that was discontinued for some years (1996 - 2006). 

I believe the Cornwall II was discontinued in 1990 IIRC 

14 hours ago, MarkA said:

As stated by others in this thread the forte was released a couple years earlier than the original Chorus but in 1989 Klipsch released the Quartet, forte II and the Chorus II all together. 

22 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I have a pair of 301 <snip>

Last night, I pulled the KP456s out and replaced them with the 301s that I haven't listened to for a few years. As much as I like the 456, the 301's tweeters sparkled and it was quite pleasing to my ears to hear the live oscillating sounds of the cymbals and bells.  

I haven't AB the 301 to the 362. I predict that they each have their advantages: the 362 with the better mids and the 301 in that they aren't so placement-picky.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peter P. said:

you're right  , it's trapezoid  for line arrays