Room size and speaker choice

Abomb

Hello everyone. I have a living room that is 16×24. The ceiling runs from 8ft to 13ft along the length of the room. Would the Heresy IV's be a good match for this space? The room is fairly open and connects directly with our kitchen. I'm not sure if I need something as large as the Cornwalls though would spend the extra cash if I had no choice. Unfortunately the Forte's won't work here because one of the speakers has to be placed in front of a large ground level window. That is another concern because I don't know if that will affect the performance of the Heresy with it's rear port. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Edited by Abomb
Mistake
  • Like 2

A window is a hard surface so a speaker with a rear port or rear passive radiator will work fine if it’s behind it.

I love my Heresys but my room is quite a bit narrower and shallower than yours.  I’d suggest fortes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm...interesting. I asked one of the folks at Crutchfield and she warned against it. I'm not saying that you are wrong it strange getting two completely opposite opinions. I spent most of my young adult life as a Union Glazier so I understand the makeup of the glass. I just was not sure if it would be a good or bad thing being such a hard surface. Thank you for the info. Definitely something to dig deeper into.

42 minutes ago, Abomb said:

Hmm...interesting. I asked one of the folks at Crutchfield and she warned against it. I'm not saying that you are wrong it strange getting two completely opposite opinions. I spent most of my young adult life as a Union Glazier so I understand the makeup of the glass. I just was not sure if it would be a good or bad thing being such a hard surface. Thank you for the info. Definitely something to dig deeper into.

Technically the harder the better when it comes to a port or passive reflection.  Are you planning on using a subwoofer?

Subwoofer does it add presence to the low end. Range of Subwoofers are they not complimentary to symphonic input. One adding the low end but, two - adds dimension because it is not in the same location as the main speakers. adding a dimension of depth? no? 

Not every subwoofer needs as much amplitude to be imagined in sound. 

I had a Peavey Speaker solid state. nice item. I took it a part. Then A sunn tube amplifier 200w per channel. 5150 tubes iirc. Same one Geddi Lee used. Not the one that he used. But same model. I took the sound and hard wired it to the 17 inch speaker from the Sunn amp. The other I went through the solid state and used crossovers to excite my celestion speakers. Then, I put the Peavey in the closet and shut the door. At the right times. you could get some feel from the bass speaker. BUt, the sound came from the four celestions. No popping no jumping from the speakers just a rigorous tone. 

My point being is the articulation of sound comes to us from the implements of our understanding and our efforts. What you have between each speaker. Make it work for you. Its best and its worst. Same with my 2011 Ford Focus SES. I dropped the music faded it back 2 notches. So it was given placement in the mix. The front I brought up the Highs to just below max and the bass 4 down from max. sometimes 5. The system had a subwoofer too in the trunk. YOu could also get vibrations in your seat if you selected the option. I drove to Atlanta popped in Jimi Hendrix's BLUES album. entered a whole new world. anyways. I like subwoofers. on clean sonic tones. 

SPeaking of that, Sunn ....

Lol...the entire side of that wall is virtually all window. Believe me, there still will be plenty of sunlight. I'm hoping to avoid an extra component. I understand the idea of the smaller speaker with the sub. I have always been a big proponent of less is more. As I am new to this, the less there is to fudge around with the less confusing it will be. Now that have all of this advice,  might need to reevaluate my less is more stance.

Okay, I just spoke with Klipsch directly in regard to the Forte IV being placed in front of the window. They recommended against it due to the fact that according to them the radiator could possibly cause the window to rattle. I really never considered that.

4 hours ago, Abomb said:

Okay, I just spoke with Klipsch directly in regard to the Forte IV being placed in front of the window. They recommended against it due to the fact that according to them the radiator could possibly cause the window to rattle. I really never considered that.

hmmm . . . how well are your windows made?  if they're relatively modern rattling seems unlikely.

20240228_180517.thumb.jpg.ec133185ff955a4057429e4ec14e4b9a.jpgVery true. My Father owned his own glass contracting company so these are very sturdy. The bottom is one piece of Thermopane. More commonly known by the layman as double glass.

Edited by Abomb
  • Like 1

You folks will probably cringe at my setup anyway. I was out of work for eight months due to four surgeries on my thigh so I'm building my funds back up for something higher end. I picked up a Dayton HTA200 which I'm pairing with a Fluance RT85. To eliminate any possible extra noise I pre ordered a Schiit Mani 2. All this hooked up to whichever Klipsch I decide on. I know it's certainly not optimal, cringe worthy even. Unfortunately it's what I can afford right now and it will be better than nothing I suppose.

Edited by Abomb

Well that didn't work. I just called the old man and asked if he would be interested in selling me his Heresy's that he purchased new in the 80's. I believe the exact words that he used in response were "DROP DEAD!"  Can't blame me for trying. 

• Haha 1

Any suggestions on what to replace the Dayton Audio with once I get the chance, or is it going to work for the foreseeable future? I checked out a bunch of videos and articles regarding the use of this Amp. with higher end speakers. At the price point I decided to take a gamble. I hope that it's not a horrible mistake. At least I can return it if it is. It arrived yesterday, it's much larger and heavier than I expected.The exterior build quality seems nice.

Edited by Abomb

I just realized something in regard to the window situation. There will be curtains between the glass and the rear of the speaker. If I go with the Forte IV'S would that be better for the rear passive or worse? Anyone have any thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Abomb said:

Did I ask the wrong question?

I doubt it! It's a lot to take in... 16 X 24, angled ceiling, open to the high end of the ceiling? Or on a side?. What flooring? Speakers have a clean path to that "sweet spot" that your favorite chair or sofa will go in? The home theater enthusiasts here can really go to the n'nth degree. It could be $$$ or maybe just $

Honestly Cornwalls wouldn't be a bad place to start. If the speakers are on the low end of the ceiling could it work like a bandshell?

Next up are the furnishings in that room. That has a lot to do with the sound you'll end up with.  Upholstered furnishings help with the sound, wool or other rugs help also. Heavy curtains can do a lot for the sound. Al the cushy stuff could be over done though.

So unless you happen to "get it right" out of the gate it's always going to be a journey instead of a destination!

Good Luck!

• Like 1