KLIPSCHORN RESTORATION FROM THE SIXTY YEARS

Greetings to everyone, search and search and I found this forum, this large family of Klipsc owners, and above all experts. I am writing from Italy and I am the happy owner of two Klipschorns from the 60s, purchased used way back in 1974. 

I haven't used them for a few years, but now I've decided to restore them to listen to them with my amplifiers. I use a Cambridge Audio Edge NQ, streaming preamplifier, and Hegel 20 solid state amplifiers, or the old Michaelson & Austin M200 tube amplifiers.

I have no problems restoring the cabinet (the wooden part) and replacing a tweeter membrane (which I can't find easily here in Italy). The difficult part is updating the two crossovers (of which I attach a photo) which, although full of dust, still work. I know that you can change the capacitors, and I have read and seen that there are also ready-made crossovers.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me some advice on how to proceed? I apologize for the imperfect English (I had to translate it 🙁) but I hope to find someone who can give me a hand and whom I thank in advance. Giorgio

IMG_0656.jpg

• Like 1

If the crossovers still work I wouldn't do anything until you fix the tweeter and spend some time listening to them. Those capacitor cans are pretty reliable and unless they are leaking are probably just fine. If you have a multimeter that can read capacitance you can unsolder them and check the value, but listen first. 

The serial numbers should tell you when they were built if you check against the listing in the history section:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/206376-want-to-know-when-your-klipsch-speakers-were-made-click-here/

Good luck with the restoration and enjoy.

Welcome and good luck with the restoration.  I to would hold off on doing anything with the crossovers until after replacing the diaphragm.  I am sure they will look and sound nice once you are done.  Your English seems pretty good, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. 

You know nothing about the condition of the capacitors unless you measure them. You need a meter that is not only capable of measuring capacitance, but also ESR and dissipation factor. If you cannot measure them properly, then replace them. They are after all, 60 years old. If you can find newer paper and oil capacitors, use them. If not, use Mylar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pnort said:

If the crossovers still work I wouldn't do anything until you fix the tweeter and spend some time listening to them. Those capacitor cans are pretty reliable and unless they are leaking are probably just fine. If you have a multimeter that can read capacitance you can unsolder them and check the value, but listen first.

I don't believe he will need to unsolder them to check capacitance. Looking at the photo, he can simply disconnect one leg from the capacitor leading to the terminal strip. Then he can accurately measure the capacitance without all that mucky soldering jazz. Otherwise I agree; listen to them before changing parts.

Salve, Frakka! 

I will recommend a good film and foil capacitor.  Solen in France seems to make 2 lines of film and foil capacitors.  You should be able to get them easily.  I normally do not care for the sound of metalized film capacitors, they sound brittle, or have a metallic edge to their sound, but they are inexpensive.  Film and foil capacitors have become more expensive over the last 5, or so, years, but they are worth the cost. 

Your dust looks just like my dust!!  😆

Although the process of taking the crossovers out, replacing the capacitors and reinstalling will take care of this, it is a good idea to loosen each of the screws on the terminal strip and retighten. That can help to remove some oxidation on the connections.

Caps don't look leaky. Maybe a nice cleanup and fresh wires for cosmetics if ya feel the need. If they work leave them. Mine were physically oozing or I wouldn't have touched them.