Looking at a pair of vintage La Scalas, what do I need to know?

I know this is a bit of a large net to cast but I'm looking at a pair of La Scalas. I don't have the serial numbers yet but they were supposedly owned but the original owner for 50+ years.

I'm assuming they might need some TLC (caps / crossovers / etc) but I was curious if there was anything that I should check / look out for? Any known issues to watch out for or avoid?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

I'll edit the post as I get more info.

• Like 1

Welcome! You can find out all the info about them here:

:

If the crossovers haven't been tinkered with, the capacitor most likely need replacing. You can get approved caps from JEM Performance Audio:

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

I believe Dean is still repaing them if you want to send them off. @Deang

• Like 1

Well, congratulations on your find, i’ve had the big heritage models or classic models for over 30 years not really a lot to look for as long as the cabinets are in halfway decent condition. That’s all I would be worried about all the drivers & CROSSOVERS if need be shoud be replaced for what I would call lunch money at todays cost ,  very inexpensive however, the case, thats the most important , crossovers,their are almost endless combinations. and if they are 25 or 30 years old, I would definitely without hesitation replace them give or ALK engineering. They’re all good. Depends what you’re trying to accomplish. They’re pretty good guys to deal with. I’ve tried them all what I’m using now would not be everybody’s favorite is an AB – 2 only due to the fact that I’ve been in bi amping them for probably 20 years, including active CROSSOVERS such as the Bryson, but keep in mind that’s after years and years of experimenting around with different combinations and different amplifiers. The speakers do seem to sing their best with tube amplifiers on the top and a good solid-state amplifier on the woofer cabinet, but good luck enjoy, you don’t need to get into all of  they sound fine on a single amp try to get your hands on a good SET amp it’s definitely a different experience for me anyway just by humble opinion the better your sources naturally the better the  sound enjoy good 

luck , NOTE the Biampping has to do with the way the speakers sound. I am not bi amping to get them to play louder. That’s not the idea. I like the older models better just my

opinion , plus their current price is absolutely utterly ridiculous …..

• Like 1

Give 'em a listen before buying if you can. If not inspect for obvious damage and price accordingly. Don't worry about replacing anything that's not obviously bad. Leaking capacitors and damaged drivers if present should be accounted for in price. If that all works I would take them home set up and play some music. If there aren't any issues I'd listen for awhile before spending money. See what you like and don't care for before spending money so that when you do spend money it will be well spent. Good luck.

• Like 5

I finally got some pics..... They appear to be unmolested 1974, black birch La Scalas.... Besides the dusty / dirty condition (and the paw prints), any red flags? 

Thank you in advance.

434445021_954965882738808_63852140366240685_n.jpeg

IMG_4428.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4432.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

They're definitely "vintage." Everything looks sound....and old. Any way to demo them? I'd wanna hear them before knowing what I'd pay for them. That being said I'd love to find a pair like that. Oh I'd plan on recapping the crossovers after seeing them. :D

What's the asking price?

I'd move on these quick before someone else finds them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm working on a trade deal... my speakers and cash.

At minimum I am looking at replacing the crossovers, a total cleaning, possibly new tweeter diaphragms and maybe new woofers (depending on their condition).

At this point I'm trying to decide what they are worth given their condition. 

Edited by S391
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, S391 said:

The seller is going to have them set up so I can listen to them before we complete the deal.

Has anyone given you an idea of price once a buy is in the offing? Have a relaxed time and trade...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Has anyone given you an idea of price once a buy is in the offing? Have a relaxed time and trade...

Not yet. However, I've been watching online sales for a while so I have an idea when they are going for... I'm comfortable with the deal we have tentatively struck, I just wanted to be aware of any known issues... provided they are just good, solid, old La Scalas I should be in good shape.

I'll update the post once I have a chance to see / listen to them in person.

Edited by S391
  • Thanks 1

If I got them, here's what I'd do:

-Remove all drivers and the networks

-Blow out/wipe out as much dust as possible.

-Give the top, front, sides a very light sanding

-Repaint with whatever gloss or matte level black paint you choose

-Contact JEM Performance Audio or forum member DeanG for network rebuilding options

-Reinstall everything

-Enjoy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

-Contact JEM Performance Audio or forum member DeanG for network rebuilding options

-Reinstall everything

-Enjoy

Pretty much what I was thinking. I have an email into JEM performance asking about a crossover rebuild....

• Like 1

Just now, S391 said:

Pretty much what I was thinking. I have an email into JEM performance asking about a crossover rebuild....

I don't know if they offer the actual service of rebuilding but I ordered the capacitors for my Heresys from them and having never used a soldering iron before was able to replace the old oil cans really easily after watching a youtube video on basic soldering.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S391 said:

Oh, and also whenever I buy older Klipsch that have the network board like that, I always loosen and tighten every screw on it.  This will help create a better contact path and remove years of oxidation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wuzzzer said:

Oh, and also whenever I buy older Klipsch that have the network board like that, I always loosen and tighten every screw on it.  This will help create a better contact path and remove years of oxidation.

At a minimum I was planning on running new speaker wires and connectors.

12 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

-Reinstall everything

-Enjoy

And

• lightly sand or DeOxit all the connections and connectors
  • get new gaskets for the squawker
  • inspect the wires from the network to the drivers and replace if dodgy

• Like 1

while you are in the woofer doghouse  run a bead of glue along all seams and replace gasket material on the bottom piece of plywood, this insures a air tight seal of the doghouse

• Like 2

Great advice, everyone, thank you.

Due to my total newbie status on the board I cannot "like" any more posts today.... however, please consider all advice "liked"!!

• Like 1