• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 3/7/2003 12:36:01 AM Johnny Klipschfan wrote:

If his reserve was $1600 or less it would've made you the high bidder with his reserve amount, regardless if someone else bid it up to the reserve. I would offer them the $1600, but I'd be surprised if they take it.

----------------

I am not sure I follow you. It said I was high bidder, so I don't think anyone else beat my bid.. But I do realize the reserve was not met... So if I understand correctly, he can contact me and negotiate or not do anything... Neither of us are obligated to take action....

I plan on offering my $1600. I didn't say that in my email, should I go back and send him an email stating that I will pay the $1600? Won't he get an email stating that I was the last bidder and this was my amount?

The guy's reserve was probably around $2000 like his buy it now price.

You were the high bidder, but you still fell short by $400 or so.

You can Email and offer your $1600 price, but like previously posted the reserve was probably $2000.

So I dought he'll go $1600.(But who knows, give it a shot.)

Why not put the television and stereo gear along the wall where the loveseat is? You would net more distance between your speakers.

(Just a thought.)

True but where to put the love seat? That's the only problem.

And we will see. I have emailed him, if he is interested he will let me know. I don't think I want to pay $2,000 for them considering I know shipping is going to be spendy. I have actually posted in both avsforum and hometheaterforum that I was looking for some in the Portland Oregon area.

And yes, I am going to check out the triad group.

Going to the Horn group may well be your best move. You will learn a great deal by listening to other setups. Your decision will be much more informed, and you just may find those Belles you are looking for.

I had similar trouble in my 2 channel room, with regards to lack of space. I scaled back my original plan for Klipschorns, since they really were not feasible in that room. Finding those '76 Corns helped quench the thirst for good 2 channel mains - and I no longer am dissapointed that I didn't get the Khorns, since the Corns sound soooooo good in there. For me to spend more on larger speakers would have been a waste of money, and speakers.

I will mention that you need to put the audio gear first - seriously. That is to say, place the Klipsch first, then set up the rest of the room around them. Given their size, this is the best approach to get the best sound out of them. This also allows you to maximize the size of your Klipsch, since you can then place the largest speakers that will fit that space.

So start over with the listening room, and see what ideas come to the fore.

Back to that buyers remorse comment for a moment.

It sure is an awesome rush bidding at the last minute or so, but it's not to wise. You apparently didn't contact the seller before bidding to check on condition, shipping costs, how they were used, how often, and so on. Something that should be done when making such a spendy purchase.

I woke up today, glad I didn't win the belles I'd bid on the night before. I too, didn't contact the seller before bidding. I wouldn't even know where I'd put them. Not to mention my fiance would think I'm loco for going on another road trip for "just another pair of speakers". Just somethin' to think about next time you go to that ebay place. The "e" in ebay stands for evil in case you were wondering.11.gif

m00n,

Sounds like a neat fish story "oh the one that got away....it was this____________big".

Truly though, most seller make there reserve = to the buy it now price. So you have to ask your "do I feel lucky"? (do I really Need these speakers-at this price?).

Either way good luck in your search............Bill

m00n,

I agree with what others have already told you how to handle the "after auction" negotiating on the Belles. Offer the seller the $1600 and see if he takes it, if not he will probably counter with his reserve and you counter etc. He very well may be getting other offers from the other bidders too. I would also ask for more photos and of both speakers. I actually thought about bidding on those babys, the one looks nice.

As to your placement issues...doesn't that register have some sort of vanes or fins (or whatever they are called) to direct the heat? Point them away from the Belle or get a clear plastic "deflector" that installs over the register and direct the air flow away from the Belle. I think the proximity to the fireplace may be more of an issue if the fireplace gets very hot when the wood stove is cooking. How warm do the bricks get next to where the Belle would sit? The wood in the Belle may be prone to drying out quicker and would need to be oiled more often in the winter months when the wood stove is in use.

Keep us posted on the outcome of course :)

Moon

Looks like you had an interesting evening.

If you don't get them, there will always be more available. Don't get too down if you can't work out a deal with the seller.

Last year I tried to get a pair of Fortes on Ebay, was watching the auction for the entire week, had it in my head that they were mine, only to loose in the last min. Turned out, another pair came up in Chicago a month later. Got them in my budget price, drove down and got them saving shipping costs.

JM

Moon,

Shipping can be a lot. I've looked into it before and every single time I would get a quote, the price would change. And the price quoted is always subject to change, until it is a done deal. They have no problem quoting you a cheap price initially, but the trucking firm will come up with a lot of extras to add on. Single shipment, extra. Non-commercial shipper, extra. If sender has it picked up, extra. If you have delivered to your home, extra. And so on. The only way to get a reasonable rate that I know of is if the sender has a commercial account.

So you may want to count your blessings that you did not win, when you take shipping into it.

Your best bet is to get a pair within driving distance. That way you are just out the time and gasoline, and you can make sure the speakers don't get damaged.

I don't know if you are set on Belles because of the looks? La Scalas would sound very similar, and might be easier to fit in your room. They are 24 inches wide as opposed to 30 inches wide for the Belle. La Scalas are 6 inches deeper, but that probably wouldn't matter in your layout as much as width.

In your first picture, the drawing you made for where the Belle would go--it wouldn't fit in those white lines. You should take the advice given above and arrange your room around your stereo and TV (if and when you buy new speakers). You don't have to have the speakers 12 feet apart, but 3 is not enough, either. You have plenty of space to work with to come up with something good.

Good morning all. So the guy has not responded to my emails yet, so we will see.

Either way, no biggie. I almost hope he does not email me back, because if he does, I most likely will get all giddy and excited again and get very impulsive. I've had a few hours now to thinkg about all this and I am beginning to think right now may not be the best time to be purchasing some belles.

The money I was going to spend on these, I really want to put towards my theater's decore. Maybe not $1,600.00 worth but I also want to get a new RF7 to replace my center channel.

More than anything, I simply need to listen to them before I buy them. Hell, I may not like the sound at all.

artto,

These things are not that easy to listen to.

I heard a pair of Randy Bey's Klipschorns and bought my Belles (without hearing them) in the following month. Heck I did not even know the tweeter was blown for a couple days. - I just thought they sounded rotten.

After a couple weeks, I got the tweeters repaired and they were really sounding fine. There are just too many audiophiles that listen to LaScalas and Belles and they can't be all wrong. I don't think you are taking a Big Chance here.

I remember posting on this forum last fall that I was interested in Auditioning a pair of Belles or LaScalas in the Chicago area. The response I got was Sure "Honey there is a guy coming over to listen to our speakers named Cut-Throat" -- - sure come on over!

I'm ready to pounce on a pair of Auris 2 from Holland at 6 Grand and the current folks that have heard them all bought them unheard. It is very difficult unless you know someone that owns a pair. Sometimes you just have to trust your references!

1.gif

----------------

On 3/7/2003 7:33:11 PM artto wrote:

moon, no offense man. If I understand you right, you've never even heard a pair of Belle's?

----------------

No offense taken, but uh yeah... That's right and yes, I know where your going with this... Let me have it9.gif

cut-throat has it right... I don't know anyone in the area that has a pair. There are no shops local that have any and I don't know a single person. However, I have not gotten to know any audiophiles here in the Portland area either.

M00N,

I placed one of my LaScala directly over a heat vent by placing it on 2" risers and covering the bottom of the speaker with a 1/16' thick metal plate. Klipsch sells, or did sell, a plate for the Belles which was intended to be used to magnetically isolate a TV sitting on top of it.

It is the perfect size to place on bottom to protect the Belle from the heat. I have one of these, if I can find it, I will give you if you get the Belles and want it.

MB

m00n,

Go ahead, if you don't like them...(NOT), you can always resell them. Just buy them at a half decent price...$1500 or so and you'll get your money back if you go to sell them.

P.S. If you buy them now, I win the bet with JM..lol