Edgar Allan Poe

Robert Louis Stevenson

Robertson Davies

Pierre Berton

Samuel Taylor Clements*

Mark Twain*

Samuel Taylor Clements*

Mark Twain*

* These guys always confuse me because they could have almost been the same person because their writing styles are so similar. Some "academics" seem to think they really are the same authour - Sheesh !! Their names are not even vaguely similar !

W.O. Mitchell

Saki

Mark Twain

Samuel L. Clements

George MacDonald Fraser

George MacDonald Fraser

George MacDonald Fraser

George MacDonald Fraser

George MacDonald Fraser

etc.

Oh and BTW GMF

Jonathan Kellerman

John Grisham

Patricia Cornwell

Recommendations anyone ?

I REALLY love the writings of Richard Brautigan. My girlfriend(PhD in Lit) turned me onto him many years ago and I've read pretty much all there is to read. Kinda like a psychedelic Mark Twain set in the mid-west and San Francisco. His poetry is so honest it hurts. He's often referred to as the "Last of the Beats" but doesn't resemble Kerouac, Ginnsberg, Bukowski or anyone else for that matter. He's probably most famous for his novel Trout Fishing in America which is fantastic. His stuff's not for everyone and especially not for the faint of heart or easily offended. His "poetry" is usually just a few sentences of everyday occurences i.e. "I tried to flag down a taxi. He passed me by. What a prick!" Unfortunately the tortured artist commited suicide in 1984. Besides Brautigan and other "beat" stuff I love JD Salinger, Terrence McKenna, Kurt Vonnegut, Gibran, Hesse, Douglas Coupland, Aldous Huxley(Heaven and Hell is great) and various conspiracy theory/secret society/freemason/Illuminati type stuff. I don't do Grisham and Oprah books...sorry.

For a pair of Klipschorn's*, what is Lord Byron's real name without using Google or other such search engines? My English teacher always says that will be one of the questions on a $$$ gameshow. BTW, I realy nead two reed moar, I have'nt had the tyme too do soo latly.

*Price consists of a picture of Klipschorn's from the Klipsch web site, approximate value is the power and wear and tear on your computer and body.

Some authors of readings from school that I just like so much more than others...

Ernest Hemingway

Erich Maria Remarque

Charles Dickens

Mark Twain

I almost cried in A Farewell to Arms... In a way I both hate and like Hemingway... Great style, interesting, but it was wrong to kill Catherine in the end. 8.gif So sad.

EDIT: Like random quotes by Oscar Wilde. lol Never read anything by him, though.

1984 is probably my favorite book, so I guess I'll vote for George Orwell...Down And Out In Paris In London wasn't too bad either, those two books are nothing alike though. I recently read Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh and found it excellent; looking forward to picking up Acid House or one of his others some time soon.

I really wish I had more free time to read books. I always disliked reading in high school, but looking back on it now I really appreciate the effort made by my teachers; I have a greater appreciation for literature now.

Matt

Read any good books lately?

Bought a bunch of paperbacks at yard sales Sunday, including Sue Graftons P is for Peril, which I already own she not only leaves the solution to the end, but leaves it to the last paragraph. The others, Pat Cornwall & Stuart Woods, I am not so anxious to read. Looking forward to Scott Turows latest. Really enjoyed Anne Siebolds charming Lovely Bones.

Loved Stephen Kings On Writing, but not so much Lawrence Blocks book on writing Spider, Spider, Spin me a Web. Kings advice, like his writing, seems pared to a sharp point and he times the ideal moment to drive the meaning home.

Love John Sanfords Prey series pot-boilers and anything by literary giant Pat Conroy (especially Prince of Tides; Lowenstein, Lowenstein). Half way through Of Mice and Men, but not sure what all the fuss is all about. It is certainly not The Red Pony or The Pearl. Here Steinbeck writes with authentic depression voice, but so far, there is little else. I think the raw and shocking ending is what makes this little missive such a hallmark of literature.

Started Emma recently, but watched the movie Saturday and now do not feel inclined to pursue this thick, but smartly written, romantic comedy. Finished Thomas Wolfes A Man in Full last summer. If you want sexual, forget JD Salingers boyish yearnings in Catcher in the Rye. Read the horse mating scene in A Man in Full (about middle). Despite the dubious ending, this man can write! Mating horses may not seem sexual or even sensual, but the raw energy and emotion of Wolfes writing stirs your gut and courses blood through dormant muscles.

Also read Charles Frasiers Cold Mountain this past year. I hate to knock the Clintons literary abilities, despite their record-breaking book advance; and especially since their book seems to be so far off in production. There is a reason why Frasier scored the second highest book advance ever, including politicians who just left political office. He and Siebold write a beautiful-told tale quite unlike the standard fare: expect movies from each book and read their next offerings. (Nicole Kidman will be the gentile heroine in the Cold Mountain movie.)

3.gif

A few of my favorites are:

Michael Connelly- The Harry Bosch series. This is where I heard of Art Pepper for the first time.

Robert Jordan- The Wheel of Time series.

George R. R. Martin- A Song of Fire and Ice Series.

Lawrence Block- The Matthew Scudder series and the Burglar (Bernie Rhodenbarr) Series.

Danny

Military fiction- Dale Brown- fantastic air battles

History- Victor Davis Hanson and Donald Kagan

Fantasy Fiction/Horror- Clive Davis, HP Lovecraft

Wish I had more time to read, but with work, family, and music, reading takes a distant 4th place.

I had to think alot on this one, and came up with the only author that I thought that many of you may of missed or never read. If you like British humor, dark humor, absurdity and anarchy...read

Tom Sharpe...

He's mostly out of print, so go to half.com and start with Wilt, or the Throwback...

Cross your fingers for me I'm working on a pair in Regina . They have a "P" in the serial number which makes them 1975 or 1976 depending on which code sheet you believe.

They are C type which is not my preferred style but............... given how hard those little mama's are to find here in Canada..

Please continue looking though as I may not get these !

----------------

On 3/8/2003 6:30:14 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

I almost cried in A Farewell to Arms... In a way I both hate and like Hemingway... Great style, interesting, but it was wrong to kill Catherine in the end.
8.gif
So sad.

----------------

THANKS FOR ANNOUNCING THE GOD DAMN ENDING

14.gif