What is the difference between the belle and the Cornwall?

m00n

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It all comes down to the sound of a bass reflex design, or a horn loaded design on the lower frequencies. The Cornwall specs out lower in the low frequency range. The Belle will be faster. I personally feel the Belle is a smoother sounding presentation, others will disagree, as well they should.

Klipsch out.

Moon---The Belle will get louder and with lower distortion. However the Cornwall has, IMO, a vastly more pleasing tonal balance. The Belle is very bass deficient and has a midrange and treble strong sound as a result. To me it sorta sounds like twisting a wire in your ear, what I call earwire.

The Cornwall goes considerably deeper in the bass and this gives it a more accurate overall tonality and smoother, non-fatiqueing sound.

I could very easily live with Cornwalls (and have), Belles or LaScalas would drive me up the wall (and have).

The Belle is the most gorgeous home speaker ever made and I suspect that with a PROPER subwoofer the tonality problem would be solved. However a sub that would keepup with the Belle basshorns and track them without compression or distortion would be quite a large and formidable device. The subs you have now won't cut the mustard with Belles. From my experience you'd need at least 4 high-efficiency, high-output 15" pro-type drivers in very large boxes or something along those lines. One ex-JBL designer thinks 4 prosound type 18s are needed for proper sub-woofing with horn systems.

I know mOOn here i am again

I would of picked the cornwall over belles due to more bass response, the cornwall is closer to the k-horn as far as bass, than most realise!

I dont think the woofer would of been burned up, if it were cornwalls you had, to start with!

I think they tried to pull the bass, like a cornwall, from a belle, and caused the damage!

I should know, i had 4 of those also, which are dearly missed!

Regards Again Jim9.gif

OK,

Now I am really confused. Jim are you saying Conwalls have a heavy bass? Also trying to look at pic's of Conwalls, it might be the photographs, but some look huge while others like Tamviko's hubbys look about the same size as a heresy????

When looking for A conwall wall what questions/things, physically, should I be clued too.........

I know it may not be possible for you -- but try to get the Belles as close to the walls as possible. In corners would be the best.

After you get your bank account built back up, you can buy some ALK crossovers from Al K.

"I know mOOn here i am again

I would of picked the cornwall over belles due to more bass response, the cornwall is closer to the k-horn as far as bass, than most realise!"

This is exactly why I went with Cornwalls instead of the LaScala/Belle in the 2 channel setup. Once I realized that Klipschorns were not feasible in my home, I went for the Cornwalls again (as in my HT). I find the Cornwall to be very placement flexible in my situation (especially vs the LaScala/Belle), and I like the lower bottom end on the Cornwall. Belles/LaScalas in my room would be a bit of a squeeze.

M00n, this is not to say that you should have bought Cornwalls - it's really a matter of preference. It is also worth pointing out that you can alter the sound of the speakers through placement and the gear you hook up to them.

For example, if you wish to give your Belles a better bottom end, try a Rega Planet CD player in that system (along with corner placement) - the Rega offers a good full low end (with a smooth presentation as well - ideal for 2 channel).

Also worth noting: You have RFs and Belles - two completely different speakers, for two completely different systems. Having two systems allows you to bring out different strengths in your systems - all possible from placement and electronics choices. My HT hits hard and excels at cinema sound - my 2 channel offers a more musical, sweet presentation. IOW, the HT is the "wheat side" and the 2 channel is the "sweet side"9.gif

Both my systems feature Cornwalls, so it's easy for me to see how my gear can make all of the difference in my systems. It's amazing how much difference the electronics make. Take DeanG's RF-7 system for example: He has this system set up to be a sweet sounding, tube based, 2 channel setup. Most use RF-7s in HT to provide that hard hitting cimema sound. Proof that, as Eric Clapton once sang, "It's in the way that you use it".

So fear not of your choice on the Belles - once the repairs are complete, it will be time to start experimenting with those different electronics choices - and hitting some of those horn meetings in your area! The learning is just beginning for you - all part of the joy of the hobby.

84klipsch_catalog_a1.jpg

BillH, Cornwalls are physically taller than Belle/La Scalas (and much bigger than Heresys), but smaller than King Klipschorn! Cornwalls are not "bass heavy", but their bass frequency goes lower (38Hz) as opposed to the Belle Klipsch (54Hz). Notwithstanding, the bass response to either Klipsch loudspeaker is clean and natural, and top quality subwoofers will only enhance the natural sound qualities of both Cornwall/Belle Klipsch.

My understanding is that the Belles really require corner placement for overall superior bass/sound quality, whereas the Cornwalls are more flexible and can be placed either in the corners, or more out into the room. Physically, the footprint to both Cornwall/Belles are about the same.

m00n, you did not choose unwisely! Once you get your troubles regulated and your Belles setup properly (and possibly add another sub), you will enjoy what so many other Belle Klipsch owners enjoy! The fact that brand new Belles are still built today (as opposed to the venerable Cornwall) must be comforting, and it attests to their desirability!

post-11084-1381924685674_thumb.jpg

I've heard both the LaScalas and Klipschorns several times, and there ain't no way a Cornwall can match the speed and articulation of the horn loaded bass. I do think the 'fullness' of the Cornwall bass fills in the bottom better, helping to balance out the output of squawker (as Tom pointed out). I think the ALKS would help here too, as m00n could move the squawker leads to the other taps (lowering the output of the squawker).

Edster00 has had both the Belles and Cornwalls, so he should be able to give you a nice contrast/comparison.

I had the Belles before getting the Khorns and agree with DeanG. Corner placement improves the bass, but an ALK will allow adjustment of the tonal balance. Even with the relative lack of bass extension of the Belles, I much prefer their speed and timbral integrity over bass reflex designs.

As Tom notes, you will have a tough time getting a sub to integrate well with the Belles (unless is a horn loaded sub, of course).

Thanks guys! I appreciate the repsonses. I have rearranged the furnature a bit. The belles are now spread a bit farther appart (about 6 feet center to center ) and are against one wall now. They are pulled away from the wall about 3 inches.

Even though they are missing one woffer driver, I feel as though I have been able to get a somewhat fair assessment of thier sound. I really like the overall sound. However, there is no bass. That may be a bit of an unfair assessment considering I am missing a woofer. However, I suspect that once I get the driver in there, it really won't do much but fill in the empty void.

I dunno, we will see I guess when I get my new drivers. But I must say, i am curious to know if the Cornwall would be more pleasing to me.

I know mOOn

I just like the heritage that has the punch,

I heard a la scala, didnt sound bad, but after having cornwalls, and K-horns, id only go with these 2 models!

Logically, if you want the bass KLF-30s have more than most heritage LOL!

Just a different sound in bass, my KG 5.5s were very solid in bass, but they had a lot of it!

And they were only a 2 way!

Regards Jim

----------------

On 3/31/2003 12:36:40 PM Jim Cornell wrote:

I think thats a powered sub, im not sure if it would match the rest of the belles efficiency!

You get the tweeter working ok now?

Regards Jim
4.gif

----------------

yeah got the tweeter working. 1.gif

Has any one herd the newer lascala? I have heard the new versons are smoother and are a little less bass shy. I have heard the newer K-horn and the bass was slammin mids and highs were very smooth. I almost wet my pants.6.gif

I have 2 pair of cornwalls 1 pair of heresys. The bass on the cornwall is very nice. The heresy can also be nice if the right analog equipment is used though not as deep.

I would love to hear a lascala just dont know any who has any. 2.gif