Clean Your Disks

MBM135

How embarrassing. Tonight a couple of the fellas stopped by to audition the new set-up.

The Scott 299A's debut.

I handed the two books of CDs to the fellas and sais "pick a disk" and have a seat in the image postion on the sofa. One of the fellas who grew up in the 70's picks Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" CD and asks me to play "Tusk" real loud. He went to USC and wanted to hear the USC marching band with Stevie Nicks. He is also a bass hog.

So, I preach to the small audience about how impressed they are going to be with the little 20 watt Scott at only about 5 - 5 1/2 on the volume dial. I tell them they have arrived in Audio Nirvana.

15 seconds into "Tusk" and screech, boom, shrill, bang, hiss and "Tusk" advances to 2:30 on the CD display and then "You Make Lovin' Fun" plays for 2-3 seconds followed by the 3:15 marker on "Tusk" again and then choke, gag...Rega planet barfs.

Silence...followed by...

"Geez...I really love that 44 year old amp Mike, how much did you pay for that again?" "Sounds great Mike, yep, vintage is the way to go!" Howelling follows...

Of course I am saying: "Oh no guys, it's the damn CD player...er..the damn disk is bad, yeah...must be dirty...lets try again."

Then I repeated the performance to the howelling jeers of my fans...

So, I am able to recover by playing "Tusk" from another disk. Then I go to the kitchen and clean the other disk and eventually prove to these yahoo's that the Rega is a good player only to hear more: "I think these tubes look neat but isn't there a cover for this thing..."

Sacrilidge.

I have only heard one disk skip once in 40 years of living. It was tonight. Opening night for the Scott. Sh!t!!!

Guess I will be going to Sam Goody for one of those God awful disk washers. Disk plays fine now.

Sulking alone now wih the poor Scott and Rega gently playing in the background...no more "Tusk" for awhile..

15.gif

here goes, every time i post this the response is; are you crazy man! but than it is tried and it really does work. my son was surfing in his gaming bb's and this subject came up, and 1 of those bright gamers came up with a really simple cheap solution. boil your disc for about 10-15 seconds. they began doing this for those demo disc's they get for buying mag's, the temp does not get even close enough to warp the disc, and the boiling water takes out even the deepest embedded oils, just like steam cleaning12.gif

60 seconds in the microwave will do wonders to clear the dirt from the disc as well as provide an entertaining light show!

11.gif

----------------

On 5/6/2003 12:32:46 AM MBM135 wrote:

Oh, by the way...the disk was dirty as hell. Smudged, scratched, fingerprints. Sat loose in the center console of my Honda for a couple months. Plays great now. IT WAS DIRTY!

----------------

I don't understand why people let their CD's get that way in the first place! I have original CD's from '83 that look and sound as good as the day I bought 'em, and they are scratch and dirt-free! Keep your CD's in their jewel cases, and handle them from their edges like you would a vinyl LP, not by man-handling the discs with all oily fingers firmly planted on the laser-reading side. I've never used a CD cleaning system before!

I agree JT1, spend all that green back to trash it?! I treat my cd's, dvd's, casettes, reel tape, like I would with my LP's...a golden touch 10.gif

Windex in a nutshell(glass cleaner, yup), will not harm your disk, spray on, then wipe off from the centre outwards on the disk(circular scratches it), trust me, it works...2.gif

To add, disk washers are BS, don't use them 11.gif

ooohhh...cd care. Well the majority of my collection came thru college with me so they are pretty scuffed on the back. Made lots of cd stacks - too lazy to put away. In truth though, I found that these sscuffs do not diminish the sound quality one bit. Generally it takes a pretty big scratch to make them unreadable.

These days they get better care. On the other hand, hairline scratches come so easy and seem to do so little tho. I'm obsessive-compulsive about enough in life, I can't stand guard on the cds as well.

Don't think anybody mentioned this...but the lesson here is never, never, never do a demo without testing everything at the last possible minute before the guests arrive. Then don't divurge from the plan without fear and trembling.

Even then, Murphy rules.

Dave

jt1stcav,

All I can say is you are either a batchelor, or have no kids, or don't let anyone else in your family play any music ( 8.gif ).

I have about 1200 CDs, a wife, a 17 year old daughter, a 3 year old son, a dog and three cats. The CDs have been to the beach, on picnics, on bikes, in three different cars, wound up in the dog's dish, found under the couch, fished out of the tape slot on a variety of VCR's, and used as coasters. I've gone through at least five copies of American Beauty (we all like it), one of which was actually broken in half (which is not all that easy to do if you've ever tried, and which no one claimed responsibility for.)

I doubt I have even *ONE* CD that doesn't have some sort of battle scar on it. But replacing CD's is cheap considering the pleasure my family gets from listening to them.