Is $700 to much for fully restored Scott 299

Too much! But that doesn't mean you couldn't invest that much in one--it would be pretty easy to do if you paid someone to do EVERYTHING to a 299 and had a custom case built, etc.

Plus you don't really want a "C"--llok for a 299 or a 299B.

----------------

On 5/9/2003 11:32:03 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Plus you don't really want a "C"--llok for a 299 or a 299B.

----------------

What's wrong with C's? Is your objection to the power tubes? Just curious.

Jeffgeorge, I would get a 299a second version, the back two transformers are side by side in the back of the unit, the first version has the output transformers side by side but going in the direction of the front of the tube amp.The first version isnt as good as the 299a second version acording to Craig. Any 299b would be good.All the 299a and 299b use the widely available 7189 output tubes were the 299c uses a more exspensive and harder too find output tubes.I would buy one off of ebay and send it to Craig should have about 550 to 600 bucks tide into it and you know it will be done right.

Here's what was in the description... "Completely rebuilt with power supply caps, coupling and bypass caps and output tubes. New bias supply and all new tube set. 30 + RMS per side using PP7591A tubes." Is there anything else that I should be looking for?

Keep in mind that EH 7591A's are too tall to use with an original cabinet. I like how mine looks naked, you may not. I think they sound fantastic on Khorns, but have never heard any other 299 series. Replacement cost on a matched quad of power tubes would be around $70 IIRC. I paid $300 for it in original condition. $275 for complete pro resto - included new rectifier and small tubes, plus a matched quad of 7591A. Price/performance ratio? No complaints here.

I'll put it this way Maybe !!

things I would want to know first

1) What parts were used too restore it? Are they 25 cent capacitors or 20 dollar capacitors they all work but some are good and some are not so good.

2) modifications are there any?

2) who restored it?

3) Pictures of all the under chassis work since you have no references of this persons work

4) Tubes what brands and what do the test at with what tube tester?

5) What kind of shape is the amp in Cosmetically?

6) Case or no case ?? Factory or after market ? What kind of shape is the case in

For a 299C to be worth $700 it should be rebuilt with the absolute best parts for the Scott circuit with some modifications. All Multi section can caps should of been replaced and all tubes should test like brand new but be NOS original. It should also have a nice case either after market or Original.

$700 sounds like a fair price for a fully restored Scott 299C, at least in Canadian dollars.

For $700 US it should include:

4 Telefunken 12AX7's

2 Telefunken 6U8's

1 Mullard 5AR4

and 4 NOS 7591's

I might be exaggerating slightly, but that is a boatload of money for what Ryan suggests might be in it.

Yes, I saw this on the vacuumtube.com... and my mistake, it was $750! Believe me, I will stay away from it. I guess I will just be patient and keep looking on ebay. Thanks for the help. If anyone knows of a 299 for sale, please drop me a line. Thanks again.

Ryan,

You know as well as I do and I have learned the hard way that Kit versions can be the same as the factory amps but very rarely are I just spent the best part of 2 days fixing the nightmares on the LK-48 kit. Fix one problem and find another... poor wiring , cold solder joints , sloppy mechanical fastening before soldering, wrong resistors values you name it. Just because an ad say's no AC hum really means nothing. For all we know he just hooked the amp up to $2 bookshelf speakers.

Kits are always a bigger gamble than factory wired units. I'm not saying don't buy a kit I'm just saying its more of a gamble.

Craig

A couple of things here:

Yes, I just sold mine for $700 shipped -- but that is what I paid for it.

I paid $350 on ebay for a unit that had a near mint face plate, no discernable wear on the knobs, and no pitting or stains anywhere on the chassis.

I then paid Craig for his work, labor and parts -- which included increasing the power supply capacitance (not part of the standard fare).

I then bought a $100 Mullard rectifier. I also purchased new power tubes, and the Telefunken phase splitters in the amp tested as new. The four RCA 12AX7 Blackplates in the preamp section had tested out very strong as well.

I bought the aftermarket 'case' from that fellow up there in Canada (Marc).

My Scott is/was dead silent and sounded great. So, in short -- yes, $700 is worth it -- if it's done right.

You generally get what you pay for.

Here is how my 299(A) broke down price wise -

Scott 299(A) from eBay $180

repairs, rebuild and shipping - NOS Valves $230

(incl. new faceplate and 2 knobs)

2 NOS Telefunken 12AX7's (eBay) $30

(2 originals tested almost new)

2 NOS Telefunken 6U8's (Upscale Audio) $90

4 NOS Russian Military EL84's (Upscale) $60

1 new cabinet from Marc $20

1 stripping and plating of the metal cabinet top $80

(done by Puff Puff in Los Angeles to match the faceplate)

It is nearly pristine in appearance and dead quiet. I cannot emphasize how happy I am with the performance of this amp. $700 is a steal in my opinion. I'm guessing it's going to be good to go for another 20-30 years at least.

Regards,

Chris

----------------

On 5/9/2003 7:56:57 PM 350 Nova SS wrote:

Did I restore this amplifier for you? Your name sounds familar. My hard drive crashed, and I lost all of my contact information from past customers. I'm pretty sure that I restored this 299C, and I believe that it came to my shop in it's original Scott box. If I did restore it, It contains the following:

All new Mallory Mylar coupling capacitors,

All new JJ electrolytic capacitors,

New FRED fast-recovery bridge rectifier (bias/heater supply),

Allen-Bradley plate and cathode resistors,

Dale 0.5% power supply/bias resistors,

(4) Electro-Harmonix 7591A matched quad

(1) Sovtek 5AR4

(2) JAN Phillips/ECG 6U8A

(4) Sovtek 12AX7

-Ryan

----------------

Ryan-

Thats's the one! The 6U8A's are GE branded, and I had already bought the EH7591A's. I am very happy with the results! You were also quite patient with my follow-up questions and "detail-oriented" personality1.gif . Thanks again for a great resto and it's good to see you posting around here!

bclarke42,

What happened to all your original tubes that came with your amp. Were they robbed by the seller. The original Telefunken 12AX7's are rarely if ever bad. In fact I have had one tube out of all the Scott's I have done have a weak Telkefunken 12AX7 in it and that was just the other day. It was still good but weak all the other 3 were still like new.

Craig

Ryan

$700 is a lot of money for an old tube amp. It had better been in mint shape and repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. As somebody else suggested, if you are going to keep it for the next 20 years, then it doesn't seem like a big deal. If the potential owner wants to buy it, try it out and later flip it for a profit, then find a different amp.

I have an LK-72 and love the sound from it. It used to be Craig's, so it was fixed up properly and sounds great with jazz or rock, and has the benefit of some extra power. If there are pictures of the internal wiring on the advertised amp, then maybe you and Craig can assess it's quality (poor layout, solder joints, etc). If you get it cheap enough, then it's easier to spend some money on it to fix it up. The price of NOS tubes is going up monthly from what I have seen. But, it would allow the purchaser a chance to do some upgrades in tubes and general repairs.

$ 550 to 750 is not bad if visual is awesome and tubes are significant NOS like DEANGs amp he just sold.

299 A or B will be a premium.

early 222

I like my LK-48.

Kind of a Vette stripped down.

3 speed manual

no AC

no PS

no PB

350 cu 4 bolt main

Hollley double pumper

It aint pretty but it can sure focus some G force on the passenger!

Audio

out!

• 2 years later...