Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

----------------

On 6/2/2003 10:05:38 AM ssh wrote:

Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debbie was a great suggestion.I've been through it twice over the weekend.Arne Domnerus' Antiphone Blues has as etherial a sax sound as I've ever heard-Beautiful recording-a bit strange,sax and organ.

SSH

----------------

SSH-

In the same vein (ethereal sax)- check out the Paul Motian Trio live recording "Motian in Tokyo". Beautiful, spooky recording has "you are there" quality. I got it as a German import on JMT Records. I don't know for sure if it's available domestically. If not, I would be happy to burn you a copy as long as you send Paul Motian some money 1.gif . The Tokyo recording features Joe Lovano on tenor sax and Bill Frisell on guitar. There is some "squeak and fart" free stuff in there, but it is worthwile even if you are not into that kind of thing. Incidentally, he played drums in Bill Evans' seminal trio work w/ Scotty LaFaro.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boomac, Glad you like the Dave Holland cd. I have the DVD-A of Gordon Goodwin's Swinging For The Fences which is near perfect too. Unfortunatly I haven't listened to it on the 2 channel rig but I guess I'll just have to suffer with the Cornwalls and Hersey's for now. I did buy the CD of that DVD and will give it a spin sometime, but right now the 5 channel sound really sends a shiver down my spine. I did write to Gordon and he sent me some suggestions of some newer big band jazz. Will give them a listen with-in the next few weeks and report here.

I just completed a Word Database of all the great recommendations presented in this thread. I'm not sure I know how to make it available to all of you. If you are interested in a copy, let me know and I would appreciate any ideas on how best to get it to you.

I have tried to upload the file that has the recommended titles database. It will not upload. If any of you are interested in viewing it, let me know and I will e-mail it to you. The database has most every title that was recommended in this thread. If any of you have any suggestions for uploading, let me know as well.

Wow! What a thread. I had been meaning to click on this but have stayed away knowing it would give me more ideas on how to spend my dough. Just a few comments. Buddy Rich was just an amazing drummer and personality in the jazz field as some of you have already mentioned. I have fond memories of him on The Carson Show. His left hand was a gift, one of a kind. I`m going to seek out the two titles that you guys have listed, and I would also like to add one. Buddy Rich/Class of`78, on Century Records. This is a Direct To Disc recording that has to be heard to believe. Rivals Mobil Fidelity. And I also second the Bill Evans titles. Super laid back stuff.

----------------

On 6/5/2003 7:56:11 PM boomac wrote:

I have tried to upload the file that has the recommended titles database. It will not upload.....

----------------

boomac,

Unless I'm mistaken, the only file attachments we are allowed to upload are the following: gif,jpg,pdf,zip,ace,png,txt. So you would not be allowed to upload a database file.

However, you could upload it as a plain text file, which might be rather large. Perhaps someone would volunteer to host the file from their server & web page. Members could link to it from here for the actual file downloads. Just a thought.

Ah ... Buddy Rich. Buddy might have been a pretty fair Big Band drummer (I like the "Mercy Mercy Mercy" LP on Pacific Jazz a lot!), even if he was a bit ham-fisted and pyrotechnical for my tastes (I'll take Jo Jones or Chick Webb or Gene Krupa ANY day over Buddy). Plus, he could NOT play bop at all--even though Norman Granz kept putting him with Bird among others. What Buddy was BEST at, hands down, was being a first class A-hole. Check this site out--it's priceless!

http://carrothers.com/billyboy/mybuddy.htm

I know a guy who was in Buddy's band for the last 2-3 years of Buddy's life. When Buddy died he called the Rich residence and asked for "Mr. Rich." The person at the other end of the line told him "I'm sorry, Buddy has passed away." This guy called right back and asked for Mr. Rich again--the same person said "didn't you just call? I told you Buddy has passed on." This guy I know then said "I know. I just wanted to hear it AGAIN" and hung up. That's how much Buddy's men loved him!

Philly Joe Jones is my all time favorite drummer. One couldn't have better players in their rhythm section than Philly Joe and Bassist Paul Chambers (great with the bow too)...what a combination!

A few other drummer favorites who immediately come to mind are: Elvin Jones, Louis Hayes, Billy Higgins, Joe Morello, Art Taylor & Art Blakey.

The three jazz drummers I mentioned (Jo Jones, Chick Webb, Gene Krupa) are my favorite Big Band drummers. My top-ten bop and post-bop jazz drummers are.

1. Frank Butler (before drugs and prison--check out "A Fifth for Frank" on the first Curtis Counce LP on Contemporary--WOW!).

2. Elvin Jones

3. Art Blakey

4. Philly Joe Jones

5. Art Taylor

6. Max Roach

7. Kenny Clarke

8. Billy Higgins

9. Tootie Heath

10.Shelly Manne

Specialy category award:

And if there is a B-3 on the bandstand I'd have to go with Ben Dixon!!!

I will continue to work on a solution for the recommended list database. Thanks ShapeShifter.

Although I am a fan of the late Buddy Rich, the comments made by Allan Songer are right on the money. Buddy was amazing to watch but guys like Gene Krupa, Philly Joe Jones, Chick Webb and Elvin Jones were drummers "to listen to". Pyrotechnical was a perfect adjective to describe Buddy. Krupa, Webb and the Jones' were like, ah, loose and slightly off the beat. They had a better feel for rhythm than Buddy did.

When Allan Songer recommended Chet Baker sings, I bought the CD. I listened and wondered if Allan really knew what he was talking about. Since, I have listened to Chet two more times and damn, it does grow on you. A tip of the hat to you Allan - You do, infact, know your stuff.

BTW, Didn't Sinatra deck Buddy Rich one time? Maybe it was somebody else but I thought I heard it was Frank.

"Chet Baker Sings" is absolutley an LP you need to listen to a bunch of times to "get." Baker's vocals are "weak" is alomost every sense of the word except the one that matters most (even to Buddy Rich)--timing. The effortless swing and soul in those vocals transcends all of the shortcomings. Plus Russ Freeman is incredible and Chet's trumpet solos are as good as anything he ever recorded. It's a great record and belongs is "every serious jazz collection."

Yep, Sinatra once threw a tray of glasses at Buddy because he was playing the drums "too loud."

I'll have to check out Frank Butler.

Two persent time drummers that could easily fit in with the likes of Krupa, Webb and the Jones' would be Steve Gadd and Omar Hakim. Both can play anything and have plenty of feel. Hakim's father played, (trombone, I think) with Ellington and Basie.

Speaking of drummers, add this one to the list. Art Blakey's Moanin.' It's rhythmic but it's not just about drums. An all round hard bop classic. The Jazz Messengers were very productive... maybe Allan can put us onto the best of the best. What about Night in Tunisia?

My 7 year old daughter walked in while I was playing Moanin' and immediately connected. She went to school for a week with that song in her head, tapping out the rhythm, quizzing her teachers if they knew Art Blakey. She's being trained on classical but something tells me there's jazz inside her.

Boomac, I can put that list on a server and post a linkcheck your mail.

Jaco.jpg

Enter

After briefly looking over the previous posts, Im surprised no one has mentioned the great, late, Jaco Pastorius. This single guy handedly redefined the role of electric bass (espescially in regards to jazz) and elevated it to a level which is still the reference standard today. Im a bass player myself (Jacos & my birthday are a day apart) & it took me quite a while to figure out that many of "those cool sounds" & licks were coming from Jaco, not the guitarist or keyboard synthesizer. An arrogant S.O.B., yes. Who else, as a virtual unknown, only 22 years old, would have the balls to go right up to Joe Zawinul (Weather Report) & tell him straight in the face "Im the greatest electric bass player in the world" & then, actually land the gig?

I dont consider either of these recordings "audiophile" quality but I think the music should be required listening for any modern jazz fan. On Weather Reports Heavy Weather, checkout "A Remark You Made" written by Zawinul specifically with Jacos singing fretless in mind. Or on Jacos solo debut, the awesome "Donna Lee". "Continuum" & "Portrait Of Tracy".

For what its worth, Jaco loved that horn-loaded bass having used a pair (sometimes more) Acoustic 360 bass rigs (18" driver, folded horn) for many years. Later, his second love fling was with a woman named Ingrid Horn-Muller.

That Rich Text crap obviously has limitations!

After briefly looking over the previous posts, Im surprised no one has mentioned the great, late, Jaco Pastorius. This guy single handedly redefined the role of electric bass (espescially in regards to jazz) and elevated it to a level which is still the reference standard today. Im a bass player myself (Jacos & my birthday are a day apart) & it took me quite a while to figure out that many of those cool sounds & licks were coming from Jaco, not the guitarist or keyboard synthesizer. An arrogant S.O.B., yes. Who else, as a virtual unknown, only 22 years old, would have the balls to go right up to Joe Zawinul (Weather Report) & tell him straight in the face Im the greatest electric bass player in the world & then, actually land the gig?

I dont consider either of these recordings audiophile quality but I think the music should be required listening for any modern jazz fan. On Weather Reports Heavy Weather, checkout A Remark You Made written by Zawinul specifically with Jacos singing fretless in mind. Or on Jacos solo debut, the awesome Donna Lee. Or Continuum & Portrait Of Tracy.

For what its worth, Jaco loved that horn-loaded bass having used a pair of (sometimes more) Acoustic 360 bass rigs (18 driver, folded horn) for many years. Later, his second love fling was with a woman named Ingrid Horn-Muller.

Art-

I am a huge Jaco fan, too! My high school "jazz" band did an arrangement (in F, not G-for the horn players) of Birdland. One of the teachers gave me a copy of Joni Mitchell's "Mingus" on vinyl. At the time I was more into Guns n Roses (groan) than anything good, so I listened to once, thought the bass was pretty cool, then shelved it. FF a few years to SUNY Fredonia. I'm immersed in the student-run jazz scene there, when I walk into a smoke filled room at 24 Norton (aka "The Blue Note"-and we got away with it1.gif ) and I heard the live version of "Dry Cleaner From Des Moines". The next 20 minutes literally changed my life.

So I'm with you there. The only reason I didn't bring him up is because his recordings either lacked production value (solo, w/Metheny), or weren't really jazz(w/ Joni). I'm glad you brought it up, but don't blame me if Allan yells at you2.gif .

Hard Bop. For the most part Hard Bop = Blue Note 1955-1961. The ten quintessential Hard Bop LPs with no artist getting more than one slot (you could give them ALL to Blakey, Silver and Mobley!) in no particular order are (drum roll . . . . ):

1. Art Blakey "Moanin'" Blue Note

2. Tina Brooks "True Blue" Blue Note

3. Sonny Clark "Cool Struttin'" Blue Note

4. Hank Mobley "Soul Station" Blue Note

5. Horace Silver ". . . and the Jazz Messengers" Blue Note

6. Walter Davis Jr. "Davis Cup" Blue Note

7. Jackie McLean "New Soil" Blue Note

8. Donald Byrd "Off to the Races" Blue Note

9. Freddie Hubbard "Open Sesame" Blue Note

10. Kenny Drew "Undercurrent" Blue Note

This was completely off the top of my head, but I think I can defend this list given the parameters. Anyone have a hard-bop list of their own to share?