just ordered the dark side of the moon, what can I expect?

prodj101

You can expect some really boring music, lots of aimless noodling that only sounds interesting if you're smoking pot. But if you are smoking pot it's OK. Some delusional druggies have even convinced themselves that Pink Floyd is important and profound. Yeah, right.

My opinion ya understand.

Pay no attention to the Tom behind the curtain2.gif

Yes, you should get this. There's a reason this work has spent more weeks on "Billboard's Hot 100" than any other - and the SACD has gotten nothing but rave reviews. If you don't have a copy, this is a good time to get one - with all of the trimmings!

I would like to see this done with "Animals" too.

My intrests range from classic rock to jazz. Still, in all the 25 years that I have been seriously buying music, be it vinyl or CD, I've never bought DSOTM....until about a month ago when I picked up the 180 gram vinyl re-issue. Its superb music from start to finish. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

The sound quality of the SACD version of Dark Side is everything you would expect of an SACD version - spectacular.

That said, I was totally disgusted with the surround mixing. We ran a standard 5.1 channel analog out (3 pairs Monster Interlink 400) from my friends Sony DVP-NS725 DVD/SACD unit into his Yammy HTR-5590. Perhaps it was the decoders on the Sony (granted, it's an entry level SACD player) but to me it still seemed like everything was coming from the front and nothing from the rears.

Am I the only one who's had this experience? I'm all ears - tell me what you're using and how it's performed with some of these SACD 5.1 masters...

I don't know whether you'd want to see the "dark" side of m00n...he's one crazy mofo who just bought and then sold a pair of Belle Klipsch...what? You're not talking about our dear m00n, but the classic Pink Floyd album that got me through my burnout high school years? Oh...

Just kiddin' m00n ol' buddy, ol' friend of mine...2.gif

Griff,just wanted to reply to your surround question.The surround mix I hear is very well done,maybe the best possible with current tech.It is very well defined in each of my speakers,the surround mix is pretty clear and actually is pretty loud on rears.Lots better than that kinda fake echo sound of some dolby,dts.I only have a modest system but it sounds pretty good to me,better than I expected given its age.If the first track does not blow you away,somethin's up.And if track 3 does not make your head spin,there's something you're missing,the surround is fantastic.

With some good weed and a dvd of the Wizard of Oz you can expect some tingling excitement, mind blowing/altering effects, and some serious musical enjoyment. The SACD stereo version is much better in my opinion than the original cd. You won't be disappointed even under sober conditions.

I'll be playing it on my 2.1 system, which I have set to play multichannel SACD's in stereo form. I never really got convinced by the multichannel music. I've always prefered the simplicity of 2.1, not to mention I think it's just easier to listen to. I ordered it so it should be coming this week some time. I don't think it will be too weird for me, I listen to some weird stuff, i.e. the older herbie hancock stuff when he was using all the techno (things like rain dance). I have RF-5's, an RSW-15, and Mcintosh amplification.

You should expect it to crack.3.gif Just kidding.

I feel that this should be in everyones music collection in some form.

Although I'm fairly burned out on it (no pun intended) I still find this album as one of my most listened to. And IMHO the 30th anniversary is the best version available.

----------------

On 6/17/2003 10:21:34 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

ProDJ,

Check out
and I think you'll find quite a bit to ponder over.

I'd be reallyl, really interested in your reaction to the difference between the CD layer and the SACD two channel layer after you've had the chance to compare them.

If you don't like "rock", what kind of music do you listen to? And, what is "rock"?

Ray

----------------

that is an interesting review. It really does make me suspicious as to whether or not the CD layer was intentionaly marred in order to make the SACD layer sound special. while I haven't actually heard the sacd yet (I am still waiting for it, should get here thursday) from that review I would imagine that it probably was. the CD shouldn't sound THAT much worse than the SACD or vinyl counter part, though I have known stereophile to exagerate alot with their choice of adjectives. They describe the difference as night and day, where as with SACD's I own myself, the difference is there, but is not the type where you would drop what you're doing and run into the room to see make sure your speakers somehow got transformed into avant garde trio classics. I suppose I can only compare the stereo sacd layer because I don't have a multichanel system set up where my sacd player is, and moving it to the synergy system wouldn't sound half as good in multichannel as the reference 2.1 system does in stereo anyway, so it would defeat the purpose. I suppose I'll have to add 3 more RF-5's 9.gif . As for your question about what kind of music I listen to? I listen to jazz alot, the older rap (back when it used to be a good genre), and some rock and metal, though those are deffinatly the least played of all music listening I do. what is rock? I'm not sure, lol. electric guitars with the distortion maxed out? heavy drum beats? after reading some more about this album I am thinking it is not your traditional rock it all, not by my deffinition anyway. I just had to get it to see what everyone was talking about.

Tbrennan,

It is those kinds of remarks that makes me sick of these boards.

Maybe you hadn't noticed but Tom(rf3iicrazy) was quoting artto when he said that.

He was trying to point out that someone was being a little rude to you but instead you were Very rude right back14.gif

Peace, Josh