OT: English Lesson...

chuckears

Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes here; and I want to mention that internet forums are not a place where I expect text-book standard English... I enjoy a random, meandering style; sort of a stream of consciousness approach, providing insight into how each of us think.

Anyway, the business at hand:

I have often read the phrase "I 'should of' done something or other..."

Folks, this is how many people say this out loud (where I come from it sounds more like "shooduv"); the phrase is "should HAVE", as in "I should have paid attention in Mrs. Whatsernames English class in school"...

OK, back to the Klipsch stuff...

You obviously don't get the point of the internet. If you can understand what is being said, it is good enough. 9.gif

Do you spend much time on chat rooms or other forums? This is by FAR one of the best forums around as far as people using decent or better english.

i h8 wen ppl use l33t sp3k

kenratboy,

No, the audio forums (and a Tolkien, Harry Potter, or computer group ocassionally) are the only ones I frequent, and I do not mess around in chat rooms, because my typing is completely incapable of keeping up with my thoughts... I have more errors than words when I try to chat.

I agree that the Klipsch Forum members are very articulate; I'm just picky about a few of the more common peccadilloes against the language...

Yes, I'll never forget Sister Mary Whatshername, either.

Those who can not remember History are condemed to repeat it . . . in summer school.

My pet peeve is that some folks making posts do not break them up into paragraphs. The result is a block of text which is very difficult to read. Yes, I've seen that great authors do it too. But their work is difficult to read, partly for lack of breaking up the text.

Then there is the "used to" versus "use to" issue. Not to mention spell Czeck.

Gil

its, it's

The only time you can use an apostrophe between the "t" and the "s" is when you are using the contraction for "it is."

Also, when ending a sentence or question with a quotation mark, the period or question mark stays inside the quotation mark as shown in my previous sentence.

I just heard the bell ring. English 101 is now officially over for today. 9.gif

BTW - Not that it really bothers me most of the time (occasionally it does when it makes for difficult reading). I just like to contribute when I can.2.gif Do parentheses bother anyone? I use them all the time (due to the way I must write at work). I have to do a lot of financial analysis for the bank which requires explanations within explanations.

----------------

On 7/26/2003 7:19:41 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Yes, I'll never forget Sister Mary Whatshername, either.

Those who can not remember History are condemed to repeat it . . . in summer school.

My pet peeve is that some folks making posts do not break them up into paragraphs. The result is a block of text which is very difficult to read. Yes, I've seen that great authors do it too. But their work is difficult to read, partly for lack of breaking up the text.

Then there is the "used to" versus "use to" issue. Not to mention spell Czeck.

Gil
----------------

Totally agree.

It's easy to look over/understand bad spelling, but when you literally cannot understand whats going on, that is a issue 2.gif

I dont think yo' be steppin' on no toes. I dig dat internet forums aint some place where anyone 'spects text-book standard English t' be spoken. I dig ya sucka's enjoy some random, mainderin' style o' scratchin'. It be radical some straim o' consciousness approach, providin' insight into how aich o' us think. Howeva' da way folks rap has some lot t' do wit' whut part o' da world they come from an' whut local dialects they may 'esploit from some particulah' part o' some country.

PARAGRAPH

Now ****** some phrase likes "I 'should of' done sump'n o' otha'..".

It be true dat many sucka's may say "shooduv" out loud instaid o' "should H-A-V-E" dependin' on where yo' an' yo' relashuns come from. I might say "ought o' dependin' on whut group o' sucka's I is rappin' o' scratchin' ta' o maybe Id be catchin sum eats at da chinese roll through. And Deeeeeeeeen!

PARAGRAPH

I dun did not have some Mrs. Whatsernames type o' English learna' instructa' in no o' mah classes I had t' pay attenshun t' when I wuz in school. So's dat bein' said in da way some kinda' whack sucka's rap I is plum hopin' yo' all be diggin' whut direcshun mah jive be comin' from. O.K.? What it is, Mama! Back t' gittin' waaay down wit' da most 'escellent Klipsh mout' beat . Keep da paice. Step off, Pharaoh. Have fun. Da Bounca'.

I am still trying to figure out how these folks dampen their horns...do they use wet towels?...or maybe a plant misting bottle?...or just take em down to the carwash for a good soaking?...or chunk em into the swimming pool for a few hours? Just HOW can rope caulk be used to dampen something, anyway?...I thought the purpose of caulk was to keep out dampness!!

dampen, dampened, dampened...as opposed to damp, damped, damped...c'mon folks!!!

----------------

On 7/27/2003 8:46:33 AM BBB wrote:

I don’t think yo' be steppin' on no toes. I dig dat internet forums aint some place where anyone 'spects text-book standard English t' be spoken. I dig ya sucka's enjoy some random, mainderin' style o' scratchin'. It be radical some straim o' consciousness approach, providin' insight into how aich o' us think. Howeva' da way folks rap has some lot t' do wit' whut part o' da world they come from an' whut local dialects they may 'esploit from some particulah' part o' some country.

I am the god of all rabbits, the world must worship me. Kneel!

Now ****** some phrase likes "I 'should of' done sump'n o' otha'.….".

It be true dat many sucka's may say "shooduv" out loud instaid o' "should H-A-V-E" dependin' on where yo' an' yo' relashuns come from. I might say "ought o'” dependin' on whut group o' sucka's I is rappin' o' scratchin' ta' o‘ maybe I’d be catchin‘ sum eats at da chinese roll through. And Deeeeeeeeen!

Kneel! You mere mortals! You are not worthy! Be gone you slime!.

I dun did not have some Mrs. Whatsernames type o' English learna' instructa' in no o' mah classes I had t' pay attenshun t' when I wuz in school. So's dat bein' said in da way some kinda' whack sucka's rap I is plum hopin' yo' all be diggin' whut direcshun mah jive be comin' from. O.K.? What it is, Mama! Back t' gittin' waaay down wit' da most 'escellent Klipsh mout' beat . Keep da paice. Step off, Pharaoh. Have fun. Da Bounca'.

----------------

Well, I'll be damped (or is that dampened? (I'll have to dig out the dictionary later to be sure)). Congratulations BBB! You have written your first multi-paragraph post. But what's with this phobia about leaving a completely blank line between blocks of text? Are you afraid of someone slipping something between the lines? Don't worry it will never happen!

10.gif

Wassup wif all dis nonsense about proper yusaig of da inglisch lanquage on da bullitin bourds? As long as U kan understand wat Iam righting (an' U can reed inglisch, kan't U?), than dat's all dat mattars, ain't it? Its knot like U R reeding Shakespear or Canterbury Tails ore old inglisch texks frum sentrys ahgo...its just a glorifyde chat rume reelie. I dount fink Ull B jujed four beeing a dumm person iph yer speling issint purfekt, or yer usege uv da inglisch lanquage iz knot wat it shud bee. FWIW, IMHO, it duzzant make anee dipherens 2 mee how U rite, just az long az U make cents and U get yer puint akros.14.gif

I like getting slipped between the lines and

Welcome to The Crazy World of Arthur Bunny!

BUT I must remind you that:

I AM THE GOD OF RAPID BUNNY FIRE! and I bring you:

FIRE, I'll take you to burn.

FIRE, I'll take you to learn.

I'll see you burn! Ha ,ha, ha, haaaaaaaaa.

You fought hard and you saved and learned,

but all of it's going to burn.

And your mind, your tiny mind,

you know you've really been so blind.

Now 's your time burn your mind.

You're falling far too far behind.

Oh nooooooooooooo,

Oh nooooooooooooo,

Oh nooooooooooooo,

Youre gonna burn!

Ill GuaranDampTee it.

He He He Heeeeeeeeeeeee