help my girlfriend touched my woofer!!!!!!!!!!

spuntech

I just brought home an RC-7 to go with my RC-5 s and my 3803 denon reciever. (yes i am working up to 5.1 one purchase at a time) my girlfriend touched the pretty woofer a little to hard.(grrrrr) now there is a two inch long 1 cm wide dent if i had to estimate the depth of it i would say a quarter to an eighth of a cm deep. i hooked it up and it sounds great with movies and more importantly music. did she do any serious damage??? should i take out the driver and attempt to push the bump out( my horse sense says no)should i break up with her??? i am very nervous about the speaker. please send me any thing you know about this. thanks for your time.

Did she dent the dust cap in the center of the speaker? I can't imagine you could dent the cone itself, as it is a ceramic.metallic material. If it is a dent in the dust cap, it won't/shouldn't change the sound. Just won't look as nice with the grill off.

Marvel

actually, the cones on the RF-5's and RF-7's are incredibly fragile. all it takes is the lightest touch and it's all over. this is why I keep the room that has my reference system in it closed and locked when I'm not using it. too many people think it's cool to poke and prod at speaker cones, and I would kill if this happend to mine. if it is in the dustcap you won't be able to push it out. if it's on the cone, just leave it, you'll just make things worse probably. you could always order a new one if it drives you crazy like it would to me (I think I could shell out 100 bucks or w.e it is to not have to stare at a dent in my system).

thanks for your quick replies. yes it is on the actual cerametallic cone. since i first posted i have listened to it some more and it still sounds good. i am definetly going to play this one for all it is worth with the girlfriend. so 100$ is it for the new driver?one other question. since i only have 3.0 speakers out of 5.1/6.1/7.1 and i programed my 3803 denon reciever to know this; if i run 5.1 source material what is my 3803 doing with the other 2.1channels of info?

Were only human, cut her some slack LOL

If there ever stolen youll know its yours if you see it!

The dent is no big deal, i wouldnt worry about it, with my 3 kids, i constantly had to clean crayon and pencil off my Klipschorns, no big deal!

If they damaged something, if it still worked id get a new one, then replace it if they damage it some more!

Regards Jim9.gif

Hi Spuntech,

regarding the 3.0 question. the Denon will add the signals to the main speakers.

If you haven't tried the 'Virtual' setting :

make shure that the distances between the speaker and your listening spot are correct, place yourself dead center between your main speakers, put on a source with 5.1 info - listen carefully and be amazed.

Best regards ... Jef

hmm with my mind whizzing on this one. Too much coffee.

If a woman touches your woofer, I too, suggest you squak her... If you do it right, she will scream in high notes only your tweeter would love. Your looking for quality sound here... something that would make Paul Klipsch proud. So use the right equipment the first time, and you will get the desired results of your hard labor....or her labor several months fom now. Because to quote Paul.. "If she does not like what is going into it...she is not gonna like what comes out of it." LOL

I appologise to fellow board members..My wife is 10 weeks pregnant. My mind is semi in the gutter so we have experienced the joys of finding the best connection and getting the best results of that with a baby on the way in late Feb-March 2004.