Another idea if ya'll will help me

When this amplifier is done I would be interested in 'sending it out' for some of you to listen to on your own systems. I would be very interested in anyone's input, and would like as much criticism as possible -- totally open, and honest, with no regard whatever about my feelings etc. Flabby bass response, poor highs, congested-sounding, whatever! I would want to know your opinions. If some of you live within close proximity to one another, than one of you could listen to it for a weekend, and then pass it on the other guy -- like Leo and Chris, maybe...

Tell me if the wiring should be improved, different parts layout, whatever your thoughts and impressions -- all of it would be of great value to me. Take the bottom cover off and look inside (if you know what you're doing, and don't have the amplifier plugged in when you do it!). I just wouldn't want changes made, if I can ask that. Tell me what you think, and I will consider anything and everything if it seems reasonable.

For ease of packing and shipping, this is going to be a stereo amp, since I already have a chassis I can use for it. What I may do is try to source some good used transformers and chokes, which would ease the financial strain a bit. The other parts -- caps, resistors, etc., will be inexpensive. This first amplifier would not have 'decoration' on it. No wood trim, rack handles, nothing. Just a basic amplifier in a basic box. The sound is the single most important element, and dressing it in its Sunday best can come some other time when we have it tweaked.

A 5Y3 rectifier is starting to sound good if I use tube rectification. They are inexpensive, too. I already have some on hand in my drawer-full-o-tubes.

What do you all think about this -- good idea? bad idea?

Fine with me Erik. Chris & I are close enough for a non-mail transfer of the amp between us and possibly even a common listening and discussion session. Fun to be on the consumer side of an amp. Jeff was extreamly patient with my "suggestions" .. are you sure you want me to look at this?

Of course I'm assuming Chris is interested.

leok

You all are great!

I want every bit of input I can get. Leo: tear it to shreds! but let me make the changes. And Craig: you keep that Weller well away2.gif Dean: Baptism by fire sounds scary! But go for it. I already have the PSU just about finished -- on paper at least. It's the other stuff I've really got to study. I'm thinking along the lines of a combination of direct and interstage coupling, and wish I could just take advantage of the great stuff from MagneQuest. Just too pricey, though, which goes against the grain of things just a bit...

Hey, how come no one's afraid of my Weller!

Were are all scared of your Iron if you get near are heritage Xovers but with a amp I think were safe because your so frightened to touch a amp which has always struck me funny !!

Erik put some 1/2 amp fast blow fuses in it for Dean 9.gif

Craig

Hi Erik,

Yes, you can count me in this also! - What a generous offer on your part. The only other person I know on this forum that is in the Minneapolis area is Randy Bey (and I'm sure he would like to try out the 2A3's) , so you could get a two for one here. Maybe there is someone else also.3.gif

Eric,

We are in the planning stages of a monthly Baltimore/Washington/Virginia area forum member get together. We could get 6 or 7 opinions at one time that way. If that is something you'd consider I'm sure we'd be happy to accomodate. You may want ask the Wisconsin folks also.

Erik,

you'll definitely need a different (i.e. European) perspective, too. So obviously it'll will also touch down in Germany2.gif . Great idea - I just wish I was living closer. But who knows....strange things DO happen in life every now and then................!

Wolfram

Erik-

While I don't have a preamp, and Reg has the Acurus, we might be able to work a 2-for-1 here in CT. Reg has been thinking about building up his kit preamp, but I don't know how busy he is to get that done. Overall, I'd say you will probably have enough input for them, but if you need any more, there are a couple folks here in CT who could take a listen. And you won't have to worry about us poking under the hood like some of the others! 9.gif

Well, I have to admit I started thinking more and more about shipping costs. I will make the effort to share with as many people as possible, but this was again part of the reason for hoping for more folks living nearby.

Danke, Wolfrom! I also wish you were a little closer.

I posted another note this morning about using the majority of parts from my Moondogs to build this thing -- it will be a monoblock pair.

Good Day:

Ben C. and I are not THAT far apart, perhaps a dual audition in the Rochester/Buffalo area if Ben is interested.

My Wellers are kept out of reach - my wife has to bring them out. Thus the technical portion is not my area.

My qualifications would be in the execution of correct sound - staging, realism, flaws in detail.

Win dodger